Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking for a kayak not to expensive for fishing and recreational use, I have never been on a kayak before but plan on trying then out before buying but want to get some kind of ideal about them. Not looking to spend alot of money

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,201 Posts
Check Bass Pro and D ick's Sporting Goods. The big box sporting goods stores are now selling "store brand" kayaks for less $$ than the big national brands. If you're an adult and going to be paddling rough water or you want to carry a good amount of gear, get a yak with a good amount of displacement/weight capacity. Rated for 300 lbs +. The extra displacement will keep the boat on top of the waves and create a more dry ride. If the web sites don't have displacement/capacity specs

The extra displacement will also allow you to load it up for a bugout if you have no other options left.

My $.02

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Hey I'm looking for a kayak not to expensive for fishing and recreational use, I have never been on a kayak before but plan on trying then out before buying but want to get some kind of ideal about them. Not looking to spend alot of money
How much is "not alot" of money? There are cheap kayaks out there to be had for about $250 or so... but they are bare-bones and not typically set up for fishing. For a beginner, I would look at Sit-On-Top (SOT) Kayaks. Heck I still like SOT types over Sit-In-Kind (SIK). SOT kayaks are like big pontoons. Practically impossible to sink. Not prone to flipping over. SIT kind are the ones that are dug-out and you can flip these.

Either way, for a decent kayak... look for about 4-500$ investment. There are a lot of used kayaks on craigslist if you want to go that route also.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had wanted a kayak for many years but never bought because of price then I saw one on sale at ****s sporting goods for $239.00 it was the cheapest I had ever seen,bought it,loved using it ..it is a 9 footer thats easily totable.then a few years later I saw a 12 footer for sale at the same store for $199.00 ,I got that one too.they are so much fun to use and easily customizable.I put a few holes in my first one right in front of the cockpit and installed those gun holder forks they sell for ATV"S.I put my paddle in it so I can fish.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
The wider it is the more stable it is. Start out wide. Go skinny if some day you want to. If you are going to do a lot of fishing, you really want a wide one so you can move around, reach gear and the like without a constant on-the-edge-thread of flipping over.

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
I beat my Ocean Kayak Scrambler to death in college... paid 550 w/ paddle and hauled it behind my mtn bike 13 miles each way before class to Morro Bay. Surfed, Fished, floated and drank... all great all around sit on top, but you will get wet sitting in it.

You can also add back rests and hatches (for beer in my case).

Im not sure the Scrambler is still a model, but they have something similar with a wider platform and is quite stable... also available is a two person model, but I always hated those.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hey I'm looking for a kayak not to expensive for fishing and recreational use,
I have a Pamlico tandem which is larger and more stable than most one seaters, great for fishing. I would suggest posting your question in one of the kayak forums, you will probably get 10 times the responses you will here. There is a difference between a good fishing kayak and a plain jane kayak. With kayaks like all boats, there is no perfect vessel, it's always a compromise.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I am 5' 11" about 180 and a Prowler 13 works well for me. The same Yak is available form Bass Pro for considerably less than OK sold them before transitioning to the Triton line of Yaks.

Your Hight and weight will have a bearing on what Yak is best for you. Other factors will be what sort of conditions do you paddle in, Lake, River, Pond, and what the water temp is...ie are you way up north? If the conditions you fish in arent too cold, for fishing the SOT's are generally more accommadating.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
A lot depends on where you live and the fishing you plan to do. I prefer SOT Kayaks for fishing. They are easy to get out of and back in without having to ground it. Something you want to think about if you want to get out and wade fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have not already made a decision check out the Bass Pro Ascend brand. The FS10 is their fishing model and I have one. The D10 is the same boat but without the "fishing" add on's. My wife and I both have the Ascend kayaks and would not trade them for any of the others that I have tried or seen. They are very stable but still paddle easy. They have a lot of storage and can carry a lot of gear. The price is what I would call mid range. The new model FS12/D12 is a 12 foot model that looks to be just as good as the earlier 10 foot model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts