Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all new to this... but I have been reading many posts regarding gun confiscation from legal owners during the katrina hurricane. My question is on their method of confiscation...

1. Did the police do a door to door search? I would assume that such tactic would not be practically possible on a city wide scale...literally thousands of homes...

And if this was the method...would they go beyond just asking for the guns...but do an actual search?

2. Or did they do this at checkpoints...as people entered hurricane shelter facilities?

Does anyone out there have the specifics with documentation?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm all new to this... but I have been reading many posts regarding gun confiscation from legal owners during the katrina hurricane. My question is on their method of confiscation...

1. Did the police do a door to door search? I would assume that such tactic would not be practically possible on a city wide scale...literally thousands of homes...

And if this was the method...would they go beyond just asking for the guns...but do an actual search?

2. Or did they do this at checkpoints...as people entered hurricane shelter facilities?

Does anyone out there have the specifics with documentation?
What I've been really curious about is how many pro-2nd Amendment gun owners rolled over and handed their guns away after spewing about how "they'll never take my guns" or "from my cold dead hands"?

Let's face it, I never heard about any gun owners except for the poor little old lady put up any resistance to the gun grabbers.

Just curious.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
At the unlawful orders of the mayor the police took guns from law biding people who wouldn't use them on police but did not take them from criminals who would use them on police. Thus the police disarmed the good and left the bad armed. Brilliant. A federal law was passed to prevent that from happening again.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
At the unlawful orders of the mayor the police took guns from law biding people who wouldn't use them on police but did not take them from criminals who would use them on police. Thus the police disarmed the good and left the bad armed. Brilliant. A federal law was passed to prevent that from happening again.
Not to pick a fight SR, but where is that exact law? (Just want to have it in my hands should this ever happen again.)

AND how good is it gonna be in the future? I mean let's suppose another mayor or governor gets all flustered and tries this again what can we really do about it other than hiding or go at an all out war with the police?

I mean the LEO has orders to confiscate your guns. How do you get them to stop and say "wait a minute, this order is illegal. We can't do this." and leave you alone?

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Not to pick a fight SR, but where is that exact law? (Just want to have it in my hands should this ever happen again.)

AND how good is it gonna be in the future? I mean let's suppose another mayor or governor gets all flustered and tries this again what can we really do about it other than hiding or go at an all out war with the police?

I mean the LEO has orders to confiscate your guns. How do you get them to stop and say "wait a minute, this order is illegal. We can't do this." and leave you alone?
Here you go: http://www.votesmart.org/issue_keyvote_detail.php?cs_id=8720

Note that every sponsor/co-sponsor was Republican.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Where will they get the man-power to search every nook & cranny in all our homes?
Should we "plant" a cheapie gun in our night-stand to satisfy their confiscation quota?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
From my experince most LEO's barely know the law.

My brother was pulled over in upstate NY and had his CCW pistol confiscated ny the state police who told him is wasu nlawful to carry it in a vechile on his person.

They started to try and book him for it...only to have the chief tell them it was lawfull...and GET THIS, confused they told him it was legal "because a pistol isn't a firearm". I knew from that day on that most LEO's at least in my area, have no clue about gun laws.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Reply]
What good is a federal law? It was already illegal to do it in the first place!

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
OK, I feel a novel comming on, but here goes....

Martial Law was NOT declared in New Orleans. The mayor and Police Chief, in the typical Democratic way of thinking, decided that the best way to handle alot of the shooting and gangbanging, that was going on in the city, was to confiscate all weapons that they observed. An order went out to Law Enforcement to do so. The National Guard Units refused to go into houses and take guns.
The original order was not to go house to house, but to take guns from all people on the street who were carrying. People were walking down the street with long guns, some riding in boats in flooded areas, some in cars, and the local police confiscated what they saw. There were officers from numerous agencies including as far away as Minnesota and Michigan. Many of these officers were paired up with NOPD and other locals. When the Mayor ordered that all people would be evacuated due to health hazards and lack of services, Police went on patrols to check houses for bodies, people in distress, looters, etc. They would check houses that appeared to be opened or occuppied or that were not marked as searched by rescue personnel.
As they began to check houses, they would occassionally run across people who had stayed in their homes. Those people were usually ordered to leave, and the houses were checked for guns. If they found them, they confiscated them. Several people were asked if they had guns when the area homes were checked. If they said No, and no firearms were obvious, they moved on. Some people were not forced to leave. HOWEVER, numerous officers from locations where guns were more tightly controlled, and were not acustomed to the attitude of guns and proliferation of guns in Louisiana, had no problem confiscating guns from everyone and searching homes at random. Some of these officers were from Detroit, New York, Chicago, etc. You may notice in one of the videos above, when the little old lady is tackled and officers are grabbing her, one of them is wearing a California Highway Patrol Patch.
Shortly after Katrina, Representative Bobby Jindal, now Governor Jindal, authored and passed a law forbidding Police or Military personnel from confiscating firearms from Louisiana citizens in times of emergency. Several states followed with their own versions of the law, including Mississippi, who was also hit heavily by Katrina.
To be totally honest, Katrina was a cluster f**k in Law Enforcement. New Orleans Police have been known to develop their own laws and strategies over the years, regardless of the constitution, primarily because of the idiot mayors and crooked administrations over the past couple of decades. In addition it was a case of "Cops Gone Wild", in an emergency situation, pretty much throwing the constitution out the window and making the rules as they go. It was also not just the NOPD, but St. Tammany Parish Sheriff and other surrounding areas as well.
I'm not trying to be a racist here so don't think that of me; I'm merely stating fact. It has been a long noted observation, the Black Democrat Politicians tend to be anti-gun. Every attempt at passing a Gun Control Law in Louisiana, generally starts with a Black Democrat representative or senator from New Orleans, introducing the bill in the La. House of Representatives or State Senate. And I mean every attempt. Except when it was a Black Democrat from Shreveport or Baton Rouge. Many of them feel that because of the violence in the neighborhoods they represent, the best solution is to eliminate guns, period. The city of New Orleans for the past 25 or 30 years has been controlled by this faction, and therefore the attitudes of politics in the New Orleans area, tend to run along those lines. Fortunately, the vast majority of La. Representatives are pro gun and have common sense regarding firearms in the hands of citizens.
I don't know what the next emergency in the area will bring, but rest assured, gun owners in the city of N.O. do not trust their government to do the right thing. I assume it will be the usual, we don't care, we'll do it our way. You can book it, that if Law Enforcement acted this way in Katrinas aftermath, that they will probably disregard laws and the constitution again when the SHTF.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts

It is a called the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006. I keep a copy in my preps.

·
Registered
816 Posts

yeah, it was already illegal, that never has stopped them from doing this stuff.

·
Registered
816 Posts
What I've been really curious about is how many pro-2nd Amendment gun owners rolled over and handed their guns away after spewing about how "they'll never take my guns" or "from my cold dead hands"?

Let's face it, I never heard about any gun owners except for the poor little old lady put up any resistance to the gun grabbers.

Just curious.
people just assume that when the govt finally does decide to try and take guns that they it will be a cut and dried "ok, we are coming to take your guns now" and be country wide. But it doesn't work that way. It happens in little bits like this, and all these people who had probably said they would defend their right did nothing.

I wonder though, if someone had engaged in a fight with LEOs who had illegally entered their house to take their weapons, and won, if they would even have a chance of escaping a life sentence. According to the law, they would be 100% justifiable in self defense, but i can't see them being let go.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wonder though, if someone had engaged in a fight with LEOs who had illegally entered their house to take their weapons, and won, if they would even have a chance of escaping a life sentence. According to the law, they would be 100% justifiable in self defense, but i can't see them being let go.
No such thing as being 'right' when you go against law enforcement, even if you are right.

That video was disgusting. I got fired up just thinking about being told 'we're not writing receipts, and if you want your gun back, I suggest you get a lawyer'. What kind of POS would say that to a fellow citizien of the US.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts