Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for one and im trying to find the cheapest out there.

Any good deals you know off?

links would be great:thumb:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
try this one, it's just the same as the pocket filter except it is made out of plastic.http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013620-Combi-Water-Microfilter/dp/B0007U00YY/ref=pd_sbs_sg_11
I have used the combi and there are some good things and things I didn't like.

One of the cool things was that it has a activated charcoal system. That made water taste better and can help filter out some chems. I like the fact that you can mount it to a faucet in your home (but I didnt purchase the adapter). I liked the filter life.

Some of the things I didnt like was the weight. It weighs practically the same as the pocket. Considering its plastic components, it should have been lighter. I also HATED the way you had to filter into your water containerby attaching it to the bottom of the combi. It made the whole thing huge and unsteady. The bigger handle was also good at times, but since the whole thing was so big when attached to a bottle, it made leverage harder to pump.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I'd check on ebay, Chef. I've seen them go for $125-150 there.
This is true, I have seen them. Just a few things to keep in mind if going this route.

-Get good pictures of the filter element. This will tell you if it is cracked or significantly worn. If worn, it will look thinner. If cracked, you will see it. Be sure to ask though, because both sides of the filter looks exactly the same LOL and who knows if they just pictured one side of the filter twice to hide a crack. Ask them if it is cracked if you get a "funny" answer, don't bid. The filter is the most expensive to replace and very fragile.

-Check out which model it is. There are three basic. The white, the blue and the black models. The white is the oldest. Some are over 25 years old and still working! New element filters still work with these. The downside is there is usually not an exit hose. But you can add that. The bigger downside is the handle. It is thin and gets uncomfortable when using. The blue model is next then the one you see nowadays which is the black with the built in pre-filter.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Ill probably buy more from these companies when they ship to canada :D:
I shipped a Pocket to Canada once a couple of years ago. I received a bill from Canadian customs for an import fee of almost $200. Sometimes people don't realize how outrageously expensive it can be to ship product across borders.

I spent some of my childhood as a Canadian. I'd love to be able to do business in Canada and am trying my best to find ways to do that (see my Mountain House Canadian listings). Open the borders to free trade and we'll all be happier.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shipped a Pocket to Canada once a couple of years ago. I received a bill from Canadian customs for an import fee of almost $200. Sometimes people don't realize how outrageously expensive it can be to ship product across borders.

I spent some of my childhood as a Canadian. I'd love to be able to do business in Canada and am trying my best to find ways to do that (see my Mountain House Canadian listings). Open the borders to free trade and we'll all be happier.
Thats true, I have no idea the costs involved.

Im a brit and I just dont understand the whole import thing seeing how the two countries are attached.......just doesnt make sense!

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts

I am confused, not doubting you though. However, why would you get a "import fee" you were the exporter/shipper. The person on the other end should have to pay duties and any fees, not you.

Perhaps there was something wrong with the paperwork? I ship a lot of merchandise internationally and only get charged extra when I agree to cover the duties/taxes.

For the OP, coming from Canada might want to check out :

http://www.mec.ca
lebaron.ca
http://www.survivalpro.com
http://www.modernoutpost.com

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I am confused, not doubting you though. However, why would you get a "import fee" you were the exporter/shipper. The person on the other end should have to pay duties and any fees, not you.

Perhaps there was something wrong with the paperwork? I ship a lot of merchandise internationally and only get charged extra when I agree to cover the duties/taxes.

For the OP, coming from Canada might want to check out :

http://www.mec.ca
lebaron.ca
http://www.survivalpro.com
http://www.modernoutpost.com
I tried to ship a pool cue to canada once and the purchaser wanted me to list the value as 50$ or less so that duties on it would be less. I said I would not do it because it was a 800$ item. So he backed out of the deal saying the duties would have been almost would have doubled the cost of the item. So who knows.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
I tried to ship a pool cue to canada once and the purchaser wanted me to list the value as 50$ or less so that duties on it would be less. I said I would not do it because it was a 800$ item. So he backed out of the deal saying the duties would have been almost would have doubled the cost of the item. So who knows.
Yes, this does happen and I have talked to many US vendors who will lower the listed price on shipping documents, on the other hand some won't.

However, that would still only effect the customers end, not yours being the shipper. So I don't know why JC Refuge would get charged as an importer.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Yes, this does happen and I have talked to many US vendors who will lower the listed price on shipping documents, on the other hand some won't.

However, that would still only effect the customers end, not yours being the shipper. So I don't know why JC Refuge would get charged as an importer.
Fedex delivered the package to the addressee then tried to bill the addressee for the customs surcharges. No great surprise--the addressee did not respond. I was on the hook for it. It's happened to me a couple of other times as well.

I might add--if I knew for a fact what the charges would be every time, I could better deal with shipping to Canada, but the enforcement and surcharge levies are all over the board.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
Fedex delivered the package to the addressee then tried to bill the addressee for the customs surcharges. No great surprise--the addressee did not respond. I was on the hook for it. It's happened to me a couple of other times as well.

I might add--if I knew for a fact what the charges would be every time, I could better deal with shipping to Canada, but the enforcement and surcharge levies are all over the board.
okay, that makes sense now. We import a lot of merchandise, let me look into it for you and see if there is a better way. Might take a few days.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
The member price is a very good one. I actually thought about getting another one at that price and you get free shipping. But if you are not a memeber, it will cost 290 + shipping. So sign up for that free membership giveaway!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=99422

Still cheaper than the $240 lowest price at Amazon.

Hell, I can sell brand new ones all day long at $225 shipped to the continental U.S. and be happy as a clam, no membership required. :thumb: Seriously, PM me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts