Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking for a good water filter for me to put into my BOB and also for use when camping and such. I've pretty much narrowed it down between the Katadyn Hiker Pro and the MSR Miniworks EX water filters, which from what I've read are both very good filters. Please give your advice on which I should get and especially share any experience any of you have with either or both. Thanks in advance.

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
I've had the Katadyn and found it to be an ergonomic nightmare. I much prefer the "bicycle pump" style of the MSR.
Both filters will do the job, it depends on your prefered ergonomics.
Oh, and the ceremic cartridge on the MSR is very easy to clean in the field. Just scrub it down with the green squeegy type thing included.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the Katadyn and found it to be an ergonomic nightmare. I much prefer the "bicycle pump" style of the MSR.
Both filters will do the job, it depends on your prefered ergonomics.
Oh, and the ceremic cartridge on the MSR is very easy to clean in the field. Just scrub it down with the green squeegy type thing included.
But wait, I thought the MSR was the one with the handle pump and the Katadyn had the "bicycle pump" style pump...

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I have the MSW Miniworks EX

I selected it because it is widely used and has a .2 microfilter and it is EASY to clean. 1 liter in a little over a minute. Lifetime warranty. 2000 liter filter life. Very good filter

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I have the MSR Miniworks. I haven't used the Katadyn. The MSR works very well and I have had no problems with mine. I would buy it over again.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
OK, 1st and 2nd hand information here...so gimme a little slack. I HAVE the Katadyn. It's the BOMB. Ergonomically, it CAN be a little fumbly, but once ya figure it out, and/or use the fast connects to fill a hydration bladder, it's a breeze and a joy.
Now, as for the MSR...I HAVEN'T used it personally, but the folks I've talked to (and at REI before I bought the Katadyn) told me that there were two problems with the MSR...the handle would break and that easy to clean ceramic filter will crack or even shatter if even barely dropped on a hard surface (dropping not uncommon with cold, numb fingers in Colorado mountain spring water), rendering the filter useless. Again, 2nd hand info, but one was a customer and another was an REI employee...both replaced the MSR with the Katadyn.
Hope that helps just a little.
OH, one more thing...make sure you purge the things after filling your containers. The Hiker Pro will spit out carbony water next use if you leave water in it...but that's a good tip for ANY filter.

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
It is a good idea to carry a backup water treatment method. I carry Micropur tablets. I don't carry a filter anymore, can't stand the weight and I'm trying my best to be a UL wanker.
I still like the Steripen if you can get over the "voodoo" aspect of it.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
It is a good idea to carry a backup water treatment method. I carry Micropur tablets. I don't carry a filter anymore, can't stand the weight and I'm trying my best to be a UL wanker.
I still like the Steripen if you can get over the "voodoo" aspect of it.
To each his own and good for you and your UL endeavors. I however hate boiling water, etc. I will always pack the extra weight of a filter. A personal preference, again to each his own.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
OK, 1st and 2nd hand information here...so gimme a little slack. I HAVE the Katadyn. It's the BOMB. Ergonomically, it CAN be a little fumbly, but once ya figure it out, and/or use the fast connects to fill a hydration bladder, it's a breeze and a joy.
Now, as for the MSR...I HAVEN'T used it personally, but the folks I've talked to (and at REI before I bought the Katadyn) told me that there were two problems with the MSR...the handle would break and that easy to clean ceramic filter will crack or even shatter if even barely dropped on a hard surface (dropping not uncommon with cold, numb fingers in Colorado mountain spring water), rendering the filter useless. Again, 2nd hand info, but one was a customer and another was an REI employee...both replaced the MSR with the Katadyn.
Hope that helps just a little.
OH, one more thing...make sure you purge the things after filling your containers. The Hiker Pro will spit out carbony water next use if you leave water in it...but that's a good tip for ANY filter.
Yes, ceramics are brittle and can break, over a few nights, there really shouldn't be much of a reason to have to clean the filter unless you are filtering mud. I guess the handle could break, but any mechanical device is prone to breakage. One cool thing about the MSR (not sure about Katadyn) is that the filter screws directly on top of the large mouth opening of a Nalgene.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Yes, ceramics are brittle and can break, over a few nights, there really shouldn't be much of a reason to have to clean the filter unless you are filtering mud. I guess the handle could break, but any mechanical device is prone to breakage. One cool thing about the MSR (not sure about Katadyn) is that the filter screws directly on top of the large mouth opening of a Nalgene.
yeah, that grey disk pops into a nalgene bottle...but it also comes with a quick connect kit (look at the clip where the draw tube attaches to the filter...the blue thing...well, it comes with an extra set of those that you can attach to a water bladder, so ya fill it through the sip tube without having to take it out of the pack...VERY convenient. I DO like the look and feel of the MSR...maybe I should convince one of my buddies to get one so we can compare on our next outing!

·
Registered
249 Posts
i have used and owned both, and let me be the first to tell you they both have good and bad aspects but for the most part they are both reliable and convenient. i personally pack the MSR just because i gave the other to my brother, but i asked him which he wanted and he took it. i have never broke the filter on my MSR however and i have dropped it about 3-4 times on rocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great input guys, I really appreciate all the replies. From what I gather doesn't the MSR have a .2 micron filter but the Katadyn only has a .3 micron filter? Would this make a big difference in catching bacteria and such? As far as convenience, I'm leaning towards the Katadyn, but if it filters less precisely than the MSR then I think I'll have to pick that one and just be careful not to drop it.

·
free man
626 Posts
Great input guys, I really appreciate all the replies. From what I gather doesn't the MSR have a .2 micron filter but the Katadyn only has a .3 micron filter? Would this make a big difference in catching bacteria and such? As far as convenience, I'm leaning towards the Katadyn, but if it filters less precisely than the MSR then I think I'll have to pick that one and just be careful not to drop it.
No. I've been using 2 Hikers since the early 90s. Backpacked over 6k miles to date. Zero problems ever regarding water born bacteria. I've filtered from some crazy sources too(like settled water in horse hoof holes in mud, yellow water inland on a wilderness island, etc). I trust them.

Some say to get one w purifying(viruses) ability as well, but most will say this is mostly if you go out of the country to questionable areas.

I used both the std and Mini Waterworks and neither were as fast as the Hiker. Also used a Sweetwater, but it died one trip, so they're out for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts