Blade Length: 3-1/4"

Blade Thickness: 5/32"

Steel Type: 1095 Cro-Van Carbon Steel

Overall Length: 6-3/4"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I am very happy to see these knives back in production. I used to sell a lot of them through my site when they were made by Camillus. As soon as my distributor has them I will order a bunch and put back up on the site. This time I keeping one or two for myself. I regret not keeping one of the Camillus ones.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I need a knife for when I go exercise in the woods. I am usually making some sort of an attemt at jogging, so I wear exercise shorts and a t-shirt, no place to carry a knife. I'm wondering if this neck knife would hold up to the jogging? What do you guys think?

Tbull:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I need a knife for when I go exercise in the woods. I am usually making some sort of an attemt at jogging, so I wear exercise shorts and a t-shirt, no place to carry a knife. I'm wondering if this neck knife would hold up to the jogging? What do you guys think?

Of course I am biased but I think it would be fine. My biggest concern for you would be corosion from body sweat. The Becker Necker has a coating which should protect it. A knife like the CRKT Dogfish would probably be a bad choice because it is bead blasted and could be more likely to rust.

·
Proud American
533 Posts
Of course I am biased but I think it would be fine. My biggest concern for you would be corosion from body sweat. The Becker Necker has a coating which should protect it. A knife like the CRKT Dogfish would probably be a bad choice because it is bead blasted and could be more likely to rust.
i still like my dogfish though.

·
Registered
798 Posts

I dont know man, I think that knecker would drive be nuts bouncing an flingin all over. Even under a shirt. I cant stand to run wiith dog tags under my shirt even. Mabey strap it to the elastic band your MP3 player is on. Or its to much weight buy a MP3 armband for your other arm and put the knife on it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good idea about the mp3 arm band. I don't listen to an mp3 player when I exercise, yet!!

thanks for the idea!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Regarding the corosion of the Becker Necker from body sweat, I can attest that the coating on the knife doesn't protect it.

I carried one around my neck every day for about a year any time I left the house including working out doors. The sweat and humidity from my body took its toll and it rusted up pretty bad.

I tried to clean it up with a wire wheel but the coating that hadn't already been removed through daily wear seemed like it kind of moved around on the blade with the wire brush once it got hot. It was very, very hard to remove.

I dipped it in Naval Jelly and let it sit for a while to get the rust off and ran it through some more wire wheel sessions along with using some petroleum products to get the rest of the original finish off. It took a lot of work.

I eventually gave it a couple coats of Rust Oleum and a few coats of paint. It still lookd pretty rough with the painted pitting but it was still a good knife.

Another thing I tried to reduce the humidity on the blade was to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a bunch of holes through both sides of the sheath with the idea of "airing out" the blade. I think this helped some but if not careful the blade would rust in spots wherever there was a hole drilled in the sheath.

The only other thing I didn't like about the Becker Knecker was that Kidex sheath. After a while, without a positive retention device the blade will fall out when you least expect it. I lost the blade several times because of this but luckily found it every time.

I bought a second Knecker and put it in an extra Bug Out Bag for safe keeping because, regardless of the problems, I liked the simple blade.

Now I'm looking for another neck knife without the Knecker's problems.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Regarding the corosion of the Becker Necker from body sweat, I can attest that the coating on the knife doesn't protect it.

I carried one around my neck every day for about a year any time I left the house including working out doors. The sweat and humidity from my body took its toll and it rusted up pretty bad.

I tried to clean it up with a wire wheel but the coating that hadn't already been removed through daily wear seemed like it kind of moved around on the blade with the wire brush once it got hot. It was very, very hard to remove.

I dipped it in Naval Jelly and let it sit for a while to get the rust off and ran it through some more wire wheel sessions along with using some petroleum products to get the rest of the original finish off. It took a lot of work.

I eventually gave it a couple coats of Rust Oleum and a few coats of paint. It still lookd pretty rough with the painted pitting but it was still a good knife.

Another thing I tried to reduce the humidity on the blade was to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a bunch of holes through both sides of the sheath with the idea of "airing out" the blade. I think this helped some but if not careful the blade would rust in spots wherever there was a hole drilled in the sheath.

The only other thing I didn't like about the Becker Knecker was that Kidex sheath. After a while, without a positive retention device the blade will fall out when you least expect it. I lost the blade several times because of this but luckily found it every time.

I bought a second Knecker and put it in an extra Bug Out Bag for safe keeping because, regardless of the problems, I liked the simple blade.

Now I'm looking for another neck knife without the Knecker's problems.
Was this Becker Necker made by Camillus or the new one by Kabar? I know the sheath has been redesigned by Kabar. Hopefully that fixes the retention issue. As for the coating on the blade, I think it is different from the Camillus version, but I cannot confirm this. I hope my friend still has his old Camillus model but I think he sold it when prices went up. I would like to do a side by side comparison.

On second thought some type of titanium knife might work best, something truly corrosion resistant. Maybe the new Spyderco Salt. It may be a bit large for neck carry.

·
Registered
647 Posts
:wow $164.95 I can't go that for an exercise knife!

·
Registered
798 Posts

Check out the tops wolf pup. Its small enough you could clip it to the waist band of your running shorts. Its 75.00$ Tops is great stuff im sure everyone can contest to that. There finish is great. Since your using this knife to carry with you when you run......you really might consider a CRKT Dogfish. Its stainless and its cheap. Check Ebay. If your running and it falls out your ou 20$.....not 50-75$ Know what I mean vern?

·
Registered
647 Posts
hanklet0,
I do know what you mean vern!! (have not heard that in a long time!) I love the looks of the wolf pup, but I do not want to take a chance on loosing a $75.00 knife. The dog fish might just be the answer!

Thanks,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Was this Becker Necker made by Camillus or the new one by Kabar? I know the sheath has been redesigned by Kabar. Hopefully that fixes the retention issue. As for the coating on the blade, I think it is different from the Camillus version, but I cannot confirm this. I hope my friend still has his old Camillus model but I think he sold it when prices went up. I would like to do a side by side comparison.
Both of mine are the Camillus model. I, too would like to do a side by side comparison. It would be nice if the problems were fixed. I might have to pick up one of the Kabar models if this is the case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts