Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
2cd mouse gets the cheese
348 Posts
hmm?

Any Coldsteel in carbon V was great, I still have my SRK in carbon V I thinned it down a bit to get rid of the prybar effect it's a shame they only have it in aus8 now (maybe fleabay). I can also get it scarry sharp even in the field. I have broke several ka-bars, they sharpen easy but they dull easy. Since Ka-bar picked up the camillus beckers I am going to get another BK9 since it's 1095cv very similar to cabon v. I was told they are the same but don't know that for a fact. I wish the regular fighting knife was in 1095cv instead of plain 1095. IMO:juggle:

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
253 Posts
I have a CS Laredo bowie, it's fantastic.
Very sharp, holds a good edge, and won't break. I gave it a good pounding and could hear the temper.
I would recommend both but I would stick with a ColdSteel if thats what it came to.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
You have chosen wisely weedhopper.Both are excellent knives but if I had to choose only one it would be Cold Steel. No, KaBar . No, make that Cold Steel . Ok,Ok KaBar..................

·
Registered
113 Posts
KaBar, Becker, Rat Cutlery (Best choice in my humble opinion) all fine fixed blades. Becker being made by KaBar now, but truly, anything Ethan Becker puts his name on is going to be quality. My Ontario TAK-1 is also an excellent blade, but stay away from the D2 version. Just too brittle in cold cold weather.

Only can choose one? Go for the Becker BK-2, next would be a Rat Cutlery. I have several Cold Steel blades and they good knives, but the quality is somewhat suspect.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a 4 1/4 inch kabar and a US 7" Kabar and to me they seem to hold an edge really great and are easy to make them as sharp as a straight razor. I love them both. I've never had any cold steel but believe it would be hard to beat the ones I have.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Trailmaster or Recon Scout are undeniably awesome knives, designed to withstand far more torture and abuse than any sane man would willingly subject his knife to, and the same can be said for generally anything that bears the Cold Steel logo. For normal work, however, I still prefer the Ka Bar, maybe just for sentimental reasons. I've owned several since my time in Southeast Asia, and they have never let me down.Of course, I've never tried to use one as a crowbar. For that matter, I've never tried to cut anything with a crowbar, either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Becker BK-2 is beyond repute, based on what I have put it through, so far. The shaving edge has gone away, but would not be hard to replace. It's a GOOD KNOIFE...how could it not be?

.25 at the spine, well balanced, drop point, proven steel..............what's not to love?

It's a bit heavy, but it performs almost as good as my #8 Opinel in performing my favorite "sharpie" jobs!

·
Hatred over Love
53 Posts
I am stifling a laugh right now because I have a $4 knife that has had all of the good qualities ive ever needed and you all spend lots of money on these... dont get me wrong I love cold steel, and Ka-Bar has proven themselves worthy, but I would go with cold steel over ka-bar...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts