Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. I am in need of a heavy knife for all-around camp/survival use. I already have a KA-BAR Shorty, which will handle most cutting needs, but I need something that can cut and chop. Do any of yall have any experience with the KA-BAR Bowie or Machete?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've heard good things about the kabar heavy bowie, and if I needed a heavy work knife I'd probably go for it. For camp tasks though I do love a machete. In my experience it's kinda hard to go wrong with any machete... have tried most brands out there and none of them failed to perform.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Hey yall. I am in need of a heavy knife for all-around camp/survival use. I already have a KA-BAR Shorty, which will handle most cutting needs, but I need something that can cut and chop. Do any of yall have any experience with the KA-BAR Bowie or Machete?
Only to play devils advocate, if you want something for chopping why not get a good hatchet or small axe?

Anyway, I've been looking at the Ka-Bar Cutlass Machete as well, it looks good for the money.

http://www.heinnie.com/367p37673495/Knives/Ka-Bar/KA-BAR-Machete-Cutlass/p-92-155-1196/

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably gonna go for the machete....just because I need a good one, but for a camp axe, I'm gonna go with a Gerber/Fiskars.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Geeze... that price is ridiculous. You could order one from the US and get it shipped there for a good deal cheaper I'd imagine.
To get one from the States we would still be stung for import taxes, although it might(?) work out a little cheaper doing it that way.

I've just googled that knife and saw it in the States for $45.

As a basic rule of thumb, take the dollar sign away and add a pound sign, that's what we pay in Britain. Even though the exchange rates are $1.77 to one pound (sorry no pound sign on this German computer.) So yes, we pay a lot for things in the UK.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
To get one from the States we would still be stung for import taxes, although it might(?) work out a little cheaper doing it that way.

I've just googled that knife and saw it in the States for $45.

As a basic rule of thumb, take the dollar sign away and add a pound sign, that's what we pay in Britain. Even though the exchange rates are $1.77 to one pound (sorry no pound sign on this German computer.) So yes, we pay a lot for things in the UK.
If you use US mail,Royal mail you don't get import tax,i know because i just got an axe from the US.

Now if you send it by a private postal company,say as an example UPS;)you'll get stung.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
There's a starting point before you are required to pay import tax, I can't remember the exact amount but it's around 50 quid.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
There's a starting point before you are required to pay import tax, I can't remember the exact amount but it's around 50 quid.
I ordered things from other countries that cost under £30 got charged £20,then ive ordered things that cost £100 got no tax.

private companies always pick up on this,royal mail most times they get through.;)

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
My Kabar Kukri is a great chopper and has some knife characteristics.

A Fiskar/Gerber hatchet or camp axes are a great choppers and splitters.

A bowie is most versatile. IMO

Kabar has some different shapes blades that are in between a bowie and kukri.

They are all great.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I really like this little combo set by Western Knife Co.:

This Ontario Knife Co. Machete' is of good quality and affordable:

Or, if you really want to cut some stuff up, you could go with this Keen Knife Works scimitar :):

·
Registered
274 Posts
Or, if you really want to cut some stuff up, you could go with this Keen Knife Works scimitar :):
Man... maybe it's just me (and admittedly I do like traditional blades), but that scimitar handle is really in exceptionally poor taste. Looks quite uncomfortable to boot. :taped:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I do not prefer cord wrapped handles. Maybe I have wussie hands.
Not my first preference either. However, when I picked up this hand made scimitar, I had to have it. It is really well balanced and I can have a real handle installed at a future time. It's not a very good picture but it's as sharp as can be.

Reactions: kajunman1

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Man... maybe it's just me (and admittedly I do like traditional blades), but that scimitar handle is really in exceptionally poor taste. Looks quite uncomfortable to boot. :taped:
It actually feels really good in the hand. Nightwing held it and swung it around. He seemed to like it a lot. The maker puts paracord on all of his knives. The good thing is that I can install a Micarta or G10 handle on it at some future point.

Here's the site: http://www.keenedgeknives.com/LiveBladesPg1.html

I bought mine at a recent custom knife show I attended.

Reactions: kajunman1

·
169 Posts
i just purchased and received the bowie less than a week ago and i personally love it.it has great weight, a good heavy blade with a comfortable handle and it is great for medium sized chopping. id go for the bowie. as a matter of fact i have mine on my belt as i sit here typing this

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Hey AJ, how do you like this combo? Have you used it a lot? I think I've seen the same one around somewhere, though it might have been a different one. Is it comfortable to wear on a belt?
It's one of the newer arrivals to my collection so I have not had a chance to use it other than around the yard just to check for weight and balance. I like it enough that it is in my main BOB. The company that produced it is no longer in business but I still see them advertised in some of the less known knife dealerships.

It's smaller than it looks in the picture which is one reason I like it. I will be great for all the smaller tasks. Both are very, very sharp. I have worn it on my side and don't care much for the swinging and flopping action so I will carry it in my pack. I prefer carrying my Tops at my side.

Reactions: bmatt

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
You may also be interested in the Dead Metal line. Heavy, sharp, tough, high carbon steel.

http://www.dantesknife.com/Dead%20Metal.htm

http://www.dantesknife.com/images/DMHT2BKGM.jpg
http://www.dantesknife.com/images/DMHT2BKGM_small.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts