Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
looks like early war (WWII) or pre-war. looks nice man! the focus was a bit blurry when you went to show the top, otherwise I could have told you when/where it was made....

mods: move this to rifle sub-forum?

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like early war (WWII) or pre-war. looks nice man! the focus was a bit blurry when you went to show the top, otherwise I could have told you when/where it was made....

mods: move this to rifle sub-forum?
It says 1938 and S/27

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
It says 1938 and S/27
ah, cool, I was right about the pre-war manufacture. according to my reference materials it was made in 1938 (heh, that one's obvious) in Erfurter Maschinenfabrik factory.

Mine was made in a facory in Steyr, Austria. I was psyched when I found out the when/where stuff. isn't it cool? :)

the other poster is right about the ammo. the new stuff (from Remington, Federal, etc) is really expensive, at $1.00 per round or more!!:eek: you can find some nice MilSurp at places like www.aimsurplus.com (they have a great special right now on Romanian surplus 8mm, with ONE CENT shipping. they are backed up like an old toilet with their orders however).

you can get some cheaper newer stuff like the 196 round from Prvi Partizan for about $16 for 20 rounds. still, kind of expensive.

good luck man, and enjoy!! feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I found a great manual on Amazon for $5, and, check your local gun shop for 8mm ammo as well, sometimes they have some inexpensive stuff. :thumb:

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
It says 1938 and S/27

Ive got one from the same plant, same year, same markings....

Ive never shot it though and only have maybe a dozen rounds for it.

I got it in a trade a few years ago.

Overall its in very good condition, although probably not quite as nice as yours.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Stock up on Ammo & Parts. Have done many a WWII Tactical with these and done plenty of live fire, work well.
are there specific parts you can recommend? I am new to Mauser ownership, and would love to get some tips in this regard. thanks in advance!! :thumb:

·
Banned
630 Posts
Just remenber all 8mm mauser military is corrosive, you can ruin a good rifle quick if not properly cleaned after shooting the corrosive stuff....I learned the hard way, I ruined a VZ24 mauser by carelessness....

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Just remenber all 8mm mauser military is corrosive, you can ruin a good rifle quick if not properly cleaned after shooting the corrosive stuff....I learned the hard way, I ruined a VZ24 mauser by carelessness....
corrosive, and sooty as shiite! no matter what I shoot out of it, just to be safe, I clean it. can't hurt. :)

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Before you hear a bunch of degraded 'forum intel' check this link and know for yourself if it has what you need.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/history/german.htm

I heard so much garbage on the internet that it was unreal. Some of these bores need cleaned with copper solvent as many as 15 times before they will give an even seal with all of the lands and grooves, so clean far more than you would expect with a copper solvent to get back lost accuracy, from the old bores.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
Before you hear a bunch of degraded 'forum intel' check this link and know for yourself if it has what you need.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/history/german.htm

I heard so much garbage on the internet that it was unreal. Some of these bores need cleaned with copper solvent as many as 15 times before they will give an even seal with all of the lands and grooves, so clean far more than you would expect with a copper solvent to get back lost accuracy, from the old bores.
nice linkage, that was a nice read re the German snipers. I did not see anything about cleaning though. did I miss something? :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts