Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 3 very well trained german shepherds (Gsd) .Trained to voice command and hand signals.They have advanced training in disarming-preatty impressive to see them work. They'd be at my side in any shtf scenario which leads me to think I should at least look at 1 kevlar/body armor vest for them.

Any thoughts on this?-hubby agrees with prepping but thinks I'm going overboard with this! I think it's a good idea -it's preatty hard to replace these guys (besides the fact they're an integral part of the family!)..and they one day could save your life.

Anyone purchased K-9 vests?, any experience with them?

Thanks for any input!

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
The company I work for builds the for Mil and LE. Soft and hard armor and cooling packs. You can even harness them to your jump rig and leave a plane with them strapped to you. :eek:

Reactions: davis and FundyFog

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Reactions: davis and FundyFog

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Am going to check out the weblink and do some more research.Does the company you work for ship accross the border? Have some concerns about shipping this product.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
We sell only to Mil and LE, sorry. They are high end state of the art vests with level IV plates.

Reactions: FundyFog

·
keep it light, rambo!
130 Posts
We sell only to Mil and LE, sorry. They are high end state of the art vests with level IV plates.
in a dog? really? :rolleyes::eek: your boss sells to whoever pays. trying to quasy restrict a market is for the sake of being able to charge more. i remember about 8 years ago the le market was hilariously overpriced. now the field is beginning to level down

good to know my taxes arent going to that bullcrap.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Really!

The plates are the same design that the mil spec body armor is built to. Those types of plates(ESAPI level) are restricted sale and the design, construction and threats are classified.

On All of the products we sell to the Mil, we are audited and are limited on what profit level we can make. No charging what you want. Over charge and get caught, U B bubba's girlfriend in a camp sponsored by the Feds with bars instead of widows.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Armordude;

found a Canadian manufacturer; K-9 Storm who also make high level vests but they only sell to mil & le as well. Even though I'm only looking for a level II ; not the higher rated vest.

I'll continue to look around- may have to become a certified dog handler civilian/le partner myself so I can purchase one.. lol ! Thanks again
FF

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
You can even harness them to your jump rig and leave a plane with them strapped to you. :eek:
I've done it many a time. My old boy Duke used to get hyped-up when I strapped him in his rig during pre-jump. He'd lay at my feet on the bird and he'd watch for the red-light and jump in my lap and lick me in the face to let me know he was ready. He never gave me one bit of trouble at the door and he was calm as a cucumber under silk. I loved that dog and hated like heck having to give him up to a new handler when I moved from K-9 to my line unit. He was retired in 1990 and was not put down because the guy I handed-him off to decided to ETS with him.

We have a Malinois that is also very well trained in protection and was wondering the same thing.
Man oh man I love the Malinois breed - worked with them a lot when we were working with the RIR and SAS. We'd have one now if not for the heat and the issues with their coats. I've had two Tervurens and we'll probably have another one (or two) the next time we're due for a new canine. We're down to five dogs right now. Two very old ones and three middle-aged. But our next one will be another Tervuren.

I'm all for K-9 vests btw. But you have to have time to get them on the animal or they are no good. A fast moving, non-vested, canine is tough to hit. We were always taught that in anything but straight up man-to-man combat, you're going to lose your animal so use him wisely and do not employ him unless it is an absolutely must. And even then we were taught to always try to deploy two dogs on one bad guy.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
I'd really like to see a pic of Duke in his rig.
That was a long time ago ... I wish we were allowed to have cameras on duty back then. I named him Duke after John Wayne. His original name when I got him from his trainer was Luke, but he didn't jee jaw with that name. So I renamed him Duke (John Wayne died that June and I got him in July at Bragg) and he loved that.

This is a copy of the picture that we kept on the walls in the kennel.

Some other various random pics:

This is exactly how we used to rig'em, but we'd bungi them down that last 30 feet. I'd always lower Duke by hand if the winds were not too bad. But we had a couple of bad jumps and he had a pretty decent PLF for a canine. He was a real natural.

I wasn't active when they brought-on the modern K9 ballistic vests:

Canines are typically stabbed or shot in the stomach during engagements. Very rarely are well-trained animals shot broadside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts