Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
They may be Chinese Manufacture. The BUlgarians got their stuff from a number of sources. I prefer the back loaders with the wind up clock set up. After someone tries to load one of the snail drums you understand the joy of the flip open back. If you have feed problems off the bat don't be distressed. It can be fixed by a good gunsmith with a hammer. No joke. SOmetimes they need some "fine" tuning.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Nope those are Bulgys.

The easiest way to tell is the bulgy dies for the back cover are different. Chinese dies had crisp sharp directional arrows. The bulgys are from a copied die and they are more like dented in than the sharp Chinese stamping with clear and even lines.

They look fine though and should be great additions.

for the folks that get them and won't be able to load and use them print out this picture. It shows where the follower (the round metal thing in the front part of the picture)has to start or they can be damaged. Chinese start in the same place. When the drum is empty you must spin the starwheel inside backwards until its in the same place every time. This one has a click or two wound up. Normally it should be a little closer to the tower before its wound. Any time you want to unwind it press the button in the middle and it unwinds. Be very careful lining up the back and the slot at the top cause if you don't get it square where its supposed to be with the tab and slot the drum will jam.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/magak75c.jpg

Edit: One more thing for the drum noobs. Thats not oil on them, its thinned down cosmoline. They will work ok right out of the package but as soon as they are exposed to dirt they gum up real bad. You need a cleaner to get it out of the bullet tip grooves and then oil as much as you can.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought them as a investment. I've never been fond of the drums myself, but watching the Chinese 100 round go up from $75 back in the day to over $300 is a hell of a return. With everyone fear of another AWB you know its just a matter of time before they shoot through the roof. I wont be kicking myself in the arse this time around. ;)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You're right about the investment. I bought most of my guns back in the late 70s and early 80's. Look at the cost of ammo. I can't believe what 7.62x39 is going for today. Powder and primers are out of sight as well. I paid no more than $75 for my drums back when. I sold a .223 underfolder Chinese AK a while back to a Lawyer for $1695. I had paid $289 for it new. Great gun but it wasn't that great. I didn't like the firing pin set up on the .223 AK at that time.

Drums should make for some real income in very near future.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I remember gun shows with big boxes of them stacked up and they had $25 signs. Walk up and offer $20 and you heard the snap of a grocery bag opening and them asking how many. The price will never come down now, as the demand grows larger all the time. I think 40s at $16-19 are a good investment right now. And a set of Mag clamps for each pr you store.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Are these things really any good? Seems that they make the weapon very heavy and harder to aim quickly. I guess they'd be good for "spray and pray" and looking cool, but not much else. Am I wrong?

·
U-960
62 Posts
The back loaders are most definatly the way to go if you want a drum.

160$ is a pretty stiff price for one though. For that price I could get 10 NIW 30's from Copes. Some drums would be nice though if you have that RPK you need to feed......:thumb:

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are these things really any good? Seems that they make the weapon very heavy and harder to aim quickly. I guess they'd be good for "spray and pray" and looking cool, but not much else. Am I wrong?
Yes they are heavy and bulky. As I said I'm not fond of them so they are an investment to me. They are more expensive then 30 rounders but people will always want the bigger. Face it they are a hot item that will be going up in price regardless of my likes or dislikes and they will go up more in price then the 30 rounds will.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I did the weigh in on another thread. They are exactly the same weight for rounds. If you were to clamp 3 of the 30s together its 6# loaded. The drum, pouch and a side pocket with cleaning kit is 5.5# so its all the same. What you get from drums is the spring being able to be at rest for decades though its fully loaded and just needs the key turned. The other part is 75 non stop rounds to take you through an opponents 2 mag changes. This is two chances to advance and rush a position if that is possible.

If those two legs up are important to you you need to get them and train with them. If not beat the system with 40s clamped together.

Then you have to add the intimidation factor. If they see the drum they know you came to play for real. More so if they have tanker 20s.

Weight for mags and rounds is even though, which surprised the crap out of me.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

They are GREAT for break contract drills (Especially from a downed vehicle where it won't matter that the drum is in)

(That first couple seconds are critical)

These have an advantage... you can leave it loaded... FOREVER... with no spring tention...

(So it's inside the door etc... NO spring tention.... ALWAYS ready...)

Break contact and static security... There IS a nitch...

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
They completely change the balance,handling and dynamic use of the weapon as Doc mentioned. The change and feel isn't for everyone, and you need to be versatile yourself to work with them. Switching back to mags is like picking up a whole new weapon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of late I have noticed that there are two copies of the Chinese wind up drum, one from Bulgaria and one from South Korea. Any ideas as to which is the better of the two?
The Korean one's are going for $129.00 and the Bulgarian's are $154.00.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Anyone see the ones made in S. Korea?
There going for 129.95 right now. I talk to some people that got one of them and said they're just as good as the Chinese ones. I would get them from here.. Keepshooting They well ship them for free.

A word of warning to New Yorkers.. I can bet you that the Next Syracuse Gun show will have them there for like $200 plus. They do not have an dates or markings on them. So with the loop hole for the mag thing. I bet we can get a way with it here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts