Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two motto’s to live by, the Boy Scout motto “Always be prepared ” The Marines motto” Improvise, Adapt, Overcome“.

We lived through one winter storm here in Kentucky in the early 90’s that left us with 18” of wet snow with temps in the 30’s and below and no power for 5 days. I had a chimney put in for a wood stove when we built our home. Yep I procrastinated (not good ) and I didn’t have my wood stove, lesson learned. After that we bought a whole house wood burning stove.

But we are survivors, I Improvise, I had a king size heated water bed a wife and 12 year old daughter a 120 lb Rot and Golden Retriever we covered the bed with all of the blankets we had to keep the heat in. We all sleep very well. Put hot water bottles in darning the day to keep the heat there. I also did a lot of camping at the time, I had a Colemen stove and a Colemen catalytic heater and lanterns (they put off a lot of heat, ventilation a must!!) I bought all of this stuff at garage sales. I cordoned off one room with blankets and we stayed in that room. Maintained about 50 deg. Nice and cozy considering . We Adapted and Overcame. We survived.

In 07 we purchased a portable gas powered 1750 KW generator and a transfer switch. All I have to do
is plug a cable into my generator and then into utility box on the outside of our home, then flip the transfer switch. This will run every thing but the Electric heat. But, we used up the firewood that we had a week before the storm and did order any more. My fault forgot to order it, won’t happen again!
Face cord will last us about two week We heated our house with our electric stove. Worked great, but it was eating up our fuel at four dollars a gallon. No big deal I’d just go and get some more gas. I got to the gas station and put my debit card in an nothing , all of the credit card systems at the gas stations in the whole town were down, but they would still take cash. Nope, I didn’t have any cash and all the banks were closed because no one could get to work. Schools were all closed. Road were clear though. So my suggestions to you is please don’t count on your credit cards or debit cards have some emergency cash on hand. Also would suggest getting a smaller generator just to run your refrigerator , heater and a few lights. Because if this lasted longer we would have been out of money real fast. I only get 10 hrs at half load that equals 16 gal of gas. You do the math. Of course gas was only $1.50 at the time of purchase. At lease I was preparing. You have to constantly be thinking of a back up plan.

The winter of 09 we had a nasty ice storm an inch thick on the trees. The eerie sounds of breaking branches and trees dropping all day long . We lost power for three days. We were lucky some homes were out much longer and not prepared. But this time I was ready. So I thought.

I remembered that we did have an old kerosene heater that I picked up at garage sale for $5 which we never used ( just in case kinda thing ). that was in storage. So I went to the storage which is fenced in. To get in you have to put in a pass code, but no electricity so pass code was worthless. There was just enough room between the gate and fence, barely . I managed shimmy through. I get to the storage and get this heater and bring it home, praying that it will work. I tear it down and the wick was totally disintegrated. So now I have to find a wick an some kerosene. I call one of the local hardware stores, no dice. Then I call the one that never has what you I need . Well, it was my lucky day they had only one and the right one.
My wife went to the grocery store to see if she could get some cash from our debit card while I work on getting the wick install . It didn’t take long, so I called her to see if she manage to get some money she informed she did. I decided to go an stand in line at the gas station and wait on her. There was thirty people in line when I arrived. It comes my turn. No wife, so I let some people ahead of me. I’m standing there thinking that their going to run out, before she gets here. She arrived shortly after my pessimistic thinking. My main concern was that my daughter and her husband and two infants were staying with us during this storm.

All’s well! We all sat in our home watching TV, playing with the grand kids, using the computers and cooking dinner. Business as usual. I decided to go outside, it was around 9:00P.M. to move some of the branches that had fallen on my van and in the yard ( no damage ). As I stepped outside shivers ran down my spine. I looked over the neighborhood, there wasn’t a single light on not one. This set me back. If this were a real catastrophe where would all of these people be? Most of these people wound be in dire straights. I sat on my porch and thoughts started to run through my in mind. The what if’s, if this lasted a lot longer when a few days turning into weeks then months. I’m preparing for my family. How many people can I help before my family suffers. I’m well armed. God forbid that I have to harm anyone, but my family comes first at all cost. I hope you can understand this. I’ll help where I can. Not! for the whole community of unprepared people.

Don’t count on the government to help! They can only do so much. They were overwhelmed during Katrina hurricane, so we think.! Personally in my opinion , I’m betting they were hoping more of those poor people would have died . Of course if they were prepared just a little bit it, might not of been so bad. The only one you can count on is yourself . Never count on the government. “What are you going to do, What are you going to do when the government is not there for you” This is a mind set that we must maintain. Till proven other wise. It’s sad state when you can’t trust your government or even you neighbor. Especially when they are hungry, cold and have no place to stay. It’s comes to “Survival of the fittest” or should we rephrase it and say “Survival of the prepared”. Ignorance is not an excuse! Learn all you can , practice all you can .

Apparently the message is not getting through to a lot of these people. I’m guessing it mainly the media’s fault. Most people are content with shopping at Wally World (little China) and listening to their favorite music and watching TV. I wish I could say watching the news. The news is a joke in it’s self these day. I guess if TV is all you have Fox/BBC America would be my choice to suggest. The rest are in the governments pocket. If you have the net/web the world is in your hands. It’s up to you to learn what you can . As far as the Politician’s are concerned their all in the pocket of the big corporations and special interest (not the people) and I mean all, with exception of maybe one or two. These corporations are slick they donate to both parties so it doesn’t matter who wins. Corporations are still in control. They have been manipulating us since the 30’s maybe longer controlling the masses is their game and we are such good puppets.

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome from South Texas! Your story was very interesting, our problem here is the heat. I guess it is easier to prepare for freezing weather and it is for the 107 temps we are having here. We had a power outage last Monday, to avoid lighting candles and using up our flashlights we brought in our garden solar lights. I look forward to your post and learning from yout experiences. I like you already!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Hi Knine , welcome from South Carolina. Sounds like you have been broken in . I hate ice storms and all the clean up afterwards. We had a similar storm here about 5 years ago . Thankfully we were already prepared , but it was a good leason in surviving and preparing.

·
Prepper's Dog Breeder
320 Posts
Welcome, Welcome, there are a great many of us who feel like you do. This is a great place to share idea's and to learn some of the tricks to keeping your family safe and sound during a bad situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hi, Heyard
You are the first to responded to my post. I lived in Goose Creek SC for 3 years while in military. retired now, and stayed here in Kentucky, but wished I stayed in SC. I really enjoyed living there. The people were great. Also loved the fishing and shrimping and crabbing and the great weather.
My Post was written in the hopes that I could provoke some critical thinking.
I talk to several guys on Skype from Sc, these guy's are survivors.
I thank you for reading it and commenting
Peace to you and your family

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi marylp
Yep, TX is hot as hell! no question about that. I was station there back it the mid 70's. visited Luckenbach, TX back when Will & Waylon and the boy's played there and of course Austin TX (had fun there!). Survival in hot climates is probably one of the toughest, if power go down. Kentucky has a few good ones in recent years like 120+.(No kidding) I guess my best suggestion is get a generator big enough to run your AC and refrigerator keeping surge amps in mind. This is the power needed to start some larger appliances like heat pumps, refrigerators, AC units. After starting the amps drop down. Not a problem with smaller appliances. Here's another thought that come's to mind is that AC's removes humidity from the air and condensates on the coils, releasing water and this water is drained out side. This could be a possible source of water. refrigerator also work in the same fashion. (correct me if I'm wrong) Water is the first consideration in a survival situation. Learn all you can about water procurement. Remembering the survival Rules Of Three: Three minutes with out air, Three days with out water and Three weeks with out food.

I thank you for reading it and commenting
Peace to you and your family

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
no electricity

nothing like a day without current to show a guy how much he depends on it. I love your security gate ... won't even let YOU in unless powered. Sounds like you have two things to do here, figure out a way in with a mechanical lock and block up where you shimmied in!

Folks! Do you know how to open your garage door without electricity?

I was just getting my stoves and lanterns lined up yesterday (as I was cleaning the workbench in the shop (stuff piles up in there)) Made sure I had plenty of fuel and extra mantels. I have an extra pump on hand, but my one burner stove needs a new generator and I don't have one ... better buy one next time I'm in town.

You're post is a good reminder to all. Think of it now, do it now, you'll actually enjoy the outage when it happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ex-hunter

You got me thinking. Maybe a good way to practice a power outage is simply go flip that main breaker in your utility box for a day or two. (I'm pushing I know lol) This will definitely give you some incite to the disadvantages when the power go's down. To answer your question on the garage door is.. yes. And for you that don't, it's that little rope that usually hangs down inside you garage with a red handle on it, just yank on it, this will releases the garage door mechanism. Your so right on inventorying and checking your gear. Don't count on your mantles in your lanterns that you have already used to be in one piece when you go to use them the next time as they are very fragile, have several mantles on hand. My genny is electric start and the power went down once and the battery was dead. No big deal as I have a power inverter in my van that I can use to run my charger. It was another one of those things that I didn't consider. I now check it once a month. Another thing to consider is that gas can and will go bad. I found a product call STA-BIL® a gas additive. it suppose to stabilize the fuel so it don't brake down as fast. but, I also found an article claiming that theirs proof that it works. Also food that you store has expiration date but don't rely them it may not be bad. I believe this is a way to get people to throw away perfectly good food. So the corporations can keep us spending. I watched documentary and the host was saying that some medicines may lose only 10% of their potency after expiration. I think I'd still use it. You may want to do so homework on this topic.

·
RH-O Negative
5,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Collin County, Republic of Texas and thank you for your U.S. Army service to this country.

Reactions: Knine

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Welcome Knine,
I enjoyed reading your post. I see hurricanes brewing in the Atlantic and I know it's past time to make sure all supplies are good to go. We don't live on the coast but often when a storm does hit Charleston (SC) we'll get rain and wind damage. Then of course there's the once in a blue moon ice storm. Still, I like to have supplies at the ready by August 1st and that carries me through until next spring as most things we'd need after a hurricane are also what we need during an ice storm. I think we are more than prepared for a short emergency. It's amazing when you get into this mindset what you do without even thinking. My husband and I went camping over the weekend. Normally we would stay in a state park and set up the tent in a space with water and electric. Well, my husband didn't like the spaces that were available with utilities so he took a spot in the primitive area. I had not packed for primitive camping. However, when I got to pulling out things under the car seats and stored way back in the trunk I found all sort of things that I keep for emergencies on the road. 2 flashlights, firestarters, a blowup mattress, water, a small lantern and a bit of fuel along with what we brought for the trip was all we needed EXCEPT ..... I sure wish I would have brought the battery powered fan since we had no electric. Well, I guess I did because when I went into the glove compartment I found 2 little tiny hand held battery fans which did help somewhat. We did just fine and saved ourselves $10.00 by going primitive! It was nicer, imo because it was more private and more space between campers.

Thanks again for the warning to check supplies BEFORE they are needed. I find we need a little more gasoline and some more wood and we should be ok for the coming winter.

Welcome to the group from another retired military family.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, sherrieallen for your welcome. See what you get for being prepared. what you got, was a great weekend at camp. I'm glad you and your family had a peaceful time going primitive. Awesome, way to go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts