Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IF WE aren't in WWIII or sucked into another pandemic crisis or who knows.
since I can't plan on Canada opening the borders to touristas..
Have to figure out how to best get my truck and camper up there.

Commercial transports are still allowed to make the road run and there is always shipping by boat.
and
Then there is always the car ferry system where you can travel with your vehicle but that looks VERY expensive.

The trip on the big car ferry looks like it would be close to 8 grand, and that is just to get there and back

Shipping it up by truck or boat is cheaper but then still have to fly to Anchorage to meet it and on return to kiss it good by then rehook in WA.

Usually I just fly in and rent an RV for a couple of weeks BUT, at age 74 this will probably be the last big hurrah and I figured on spending maybe a couple of months roaming the Last Frontier and trying to get grizzly bar et.

SO

Anyone who has experience shipping a veh to AK from WA either by boat or by truck transport and how you dealt with the connections, I would appreciate some insight.

·
Just trying to learn
173 Posts
I've never shipped to Alaska, but for reference it cost me a little over 1K each to ship three vehicles from Boston to Seattle.

·
Bugged out already
4,215 Posts
I‘ve both shipped and have driven vehicles up to Alaska. Others have ferried their vehicles up to Alaska. Lots of ways to get here.

Reactions: Arch Stanton

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I‘ve both shipped and have driven vehicles up to Alaska. Others have ferried their vehicles up to Alaska. Lots of ways to get here.
I have familiarized myself with the various ways.
Need help figuring on the easiest, and least inexpensive way to do it and what kind of hassle is it ?

any insight greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you looked into buying something up there? I have a cousin that lives up there and she bought a truck in the lower 48 to drive some belongings up there. She figured it out and decided it was cheaper to buy than try and rent.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,764 Posts
Maybe I have to refamiliarize myself to the "rules", but I don't think you can be blocked from crossing the border to go to AK? Particularly if you own land there.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CANADA is closed to tourists last I checked and even if they let you get in you have to go to an authorized hotel/motel and quarantine for 14 days...
that is why the usual means is a no go
and
that is why shipping it is the only way unless you take the regular ferry, which is really expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far, Canada is letting vehicles to cross to Alaska. They give you something like a week to get there, I don't know how much longer this will be allowed as many are going full out tourist and not going straight to Akaska. Just check the official government site before you assume you can't cross.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,827 Posts
When I left up there in '76 the Army paid to ship my vehicle and its been so long any advice Id have would be out-of-date but a couple of buds got deck space on a ferry with their bicycles and just rode and slept outside..I know thats not what you had in mind but options are limited..and they all cost serious money..Canada is iffy at the best of times..I drove up in '74 and had to present a set amount of cash at the border;credit cards were only counted as 1/3 of the required total..with Fidels son at the helm up there now the changes are coming daily..and each change is more restrictive than the day before..I wish you the best with your trip..Ive always said I was going back and see the old sights but Im over that now...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Why not just fly into Anchorage and buy a truck? Put plates and insurance on it and go. Have good time. Then sell it. Took quick look at Craigslist before posting this thought. There were few things I would consider reasonable for a AK adventure. Keep their resale value. Might not cost you as much money in the end compared to shipping.

Also, need a wingman for a couple weeks? 😂

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not just fly into Anchorage and buy a truck? Put plates and insurance on it and go. Have good time. Then sell it. Took quick look at Craigslist before posting this thought. There were few things I would consider reasonable for a AK adventure. Keep their resale value. Might not cost you as much money in the end compared to shipping.

Also, need a wingman for a couple weeks? 😂
ACTUALLY..
I have contemplated doing it the other way.
I have a very clean 2006 Chev 1500 ext cab 4x4
with a like new Palomino SS550 camper on the back.

While tooling around I would let it be known I was looking for a buyer. I figure I could make some good money from the right person and then fly back

Even though I already have a 1 ton, it is a dually and not quite as nimble so I would be replacing the 1500 with a 2500 when I got back
otherwise..
just bring it on home.
and
IF I want company I will look for some comely co-ed up there for the summer just hitching around 😁 😁 😁 (y)

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, Canada is letting vehicles to cross to Alaska. They give you something like a week to get there, I don't know how much longer this will be allowed as many are going full out tourist and not going straight to Akaska. Just check the official government site before you assume you can't cross.
GETTING a mixed message.
The CA.Gov site I was on last night said IF they let you enter you still have to go and self quarantine before heading on.
and
considering the gov they have up there, I am relying on them not doing anything to relieve the situation.

Conversely you can load your vehicle on a car carrier and it will be in Anchorage in 3 days. Commercial runs are still going through.

·
Retired Army
6,357 Posts
This has got me worried as of late. I've been 3 years building a CJ7 from the frame up. Plans are to take it all over the country overlanding when it's done. This included a trip up to Prudhoe Bay, and with Canada being an ******* about this little political plague... that probably ain't gonna happen.

·
Bugged out already
4,215 Posts
I have familiarized myself with the various ways.
Need help figuring on the easiest, and least inexpensive way to do it and what kind of hassle is it ?

any insight greatly appreciated
I have no idea what vehicle you have, but I just checked the cost of shipping my truck on the ferry and it’s $2,200 one way from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. Then it would be a 9 hour drive from Haines Alaska to Tok Alaska through Canada. This is the cheapest way to get to Alaska on the Ferry. This would be a 3 day boat ride and a 9 hour drive. So depending on where you are in the lower 48, this may be a couple days quicker verses driving. This will likely be about $1,000 cheaper each way than any of the other shipping options not including the airfare needed if you ship the vehicle. Plus you would get a great look at the inside passage. Shipping options often takes many weeks for the vehicle to make the transit.

The lowest cost option would be to drive. All my drives to and from Alaska has been through the North Dakota route. If you are a maniac driver like me who drives at the top end of the speed limit and only stops for gas and are will to drive an average of 15 hours per, you will need to have three night time stops typically with overnights at Edmonton, Ft Nelson and Whitehourse. I do not recall ever paying more than $200 a night for a hotel room.

If I had the time to do what you want, I would travel by ferry up to Haines (weather might be better early summer verses late summer), spend a few months in Alaska, then drive back down the ALCAN. There are some nice stops along the ALCAN that I have never made due to my always rushed life. Also, order the latest Milepost book so you can best plan your trip.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Maybe I have to refamiliarize myself to the "rules", but I don't think you can be blocked from crossing the border to go to AK? Particularly if you own land there.
Problem lies in getting firearms through Canada. At any ..for the OP , you'll have to call for current rates , that said the easiest way up with a vehicle is jump on the ferry , if you're headed for Anchorage and north get off in Homer , if you're headed up the Richardson or over to Tok , up to Circle etc then get off in Valdez.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no idea what vehicle you have, but I just checked the cost of shipping my truck on the ferry and it’s $2,200 one way from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. Then it would be a 9 hour drive from Haines Alaska to Tok Alaska through Canada. This is the cheapest way to get to Alaska on the Ferry. This would be a 3 day boat ride and a 9 hour drive. So depending on where you are in the lower 48, this may be a couple days quicker verses driving. This will likely be about $1,000 cheaper each way than any of the other shipping options not including the airfare needed if you ship the vehicle. Plus you would get a great look at the inside passage. Shipping options often takes many weeks for the vehicle to make the transit.

The lowest cost option would be to drive. All my drives to and from Alaska has been through the North Dakota route. If you are a maniac driver like me who drives at the top end of the speed limit and only stops for gas and are will to drive an average of 15 hours per, you will need to have three night time stops typically with overnights at Edmonton, Ft Nelson and Whitehourse. I do not recall ever paying more than $200 a night for a hotel room.

If I had the time to do what you want, I would travel by ferry up to Haines (weather might be better early summer verses late summer), spend a few months in Alaska, then drive back down the ALCAN. There are some nice stops along the ALCAN that I have never made due to my always rushed life. Also, order the latest Milepost book so you can best plan your trip.
YEAH, I have been to Haines and such
BUT
again you are back to Canada entry being the BIG problem.
IF you go to Haines and they say "Sorry, tourists are not essential travel" then you are stuck on a very short road trip

I am looking at the WORST case scenario and planning for that.
If Canada changes their minds, then you can always gear down
but without knowing for sure... I am NOT counting on Canada being my friend.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem lies in getting firearms through Canada. At any ..for the OP , you'll have to call for current rates , that said the easiest way up with a vehicle is jump on the ferry , if you're headed for Anchorage and north get off in Homer , if you're headed up the Richardson or over to Tok , up to Circle etc then get off in Valdez.

DEFINITELY the EASIEST way is to hop on the Kennikott in Bellingham and go with the truck and get off in Valdez or Whittier
but
that is also the most expensive.
Last time I priced it, which was last year, with passage with a cabin(I am too dang old to sleep on the deck) it was almost $8000 for up and back. I cannot believe it will be cheaper next year.

·
Storyteller
2,290 Posts
Not to mention the ferry schedule is reduced owing to money troubles.

I live in Ak, I would suggest shipping the rig up is a good bet. As far as selling locally, that would be a real crapshoot. The economy here is circling the drain. Too much of Alaska is dependent on the tourist dollar and with the crazy patchwork of restriction in the State, many are opting to skip AK this season.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts