Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at my gun shop to pay off and take home my glock that was on hold. One guy gives me a form to fill out that contains all those lovely questions about whether you are a felon/fugitive etc. Well, when I was 14 I was committed to a mental hospital briefly so I answered yes to that question. I am then told that because that answer is yes that can not sell me a firearm nor will any other dealer or gun shop. I am more than pissed right now. So, I can own a gun and carry a gun but never BUY a gun!!! Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a full license to carry permit with no restrictions yet not be able to buy!? :mad:

Needless to say they took the gun and put it back in the case and refunded my money. :(

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I was just at my gun shop to pay off and take home my glock that was on hold. One guy gives me a form to fill out that contains all those lovely questions about whether you are a felon/fugitive etc. Well, when I was 14 I was committed to a mental hospital briefly so I answered yes to that question. I am then told that because that answer is yes that can not sell me a firearm nor will any other dealer or gun shop. I am more than pissed right now. So, I can own a gun and carry a gun but never BUY a gun!!! Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a full license to carry permit with no restrictions yet not be able to buy!? :mad:

Needless to say they took the gun and put it back in the case and refunded my money. :(
What's the law on private party sales in Mass?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Sorry to hear that... Wasn't there a similar question on your application for a LTC?

OBTW check with a lawyer about whether or not your situation can be expunged or corrected due to your age at the time...and clear history since.

OBTW you don't have to fill out the paperwork in many other States if the transfer is done privately as opposed to thru a dealer... however you do have to be a resident of that State to legally buy a gun - so MOVE!!!

Allan

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
UMMMMMMMMMM......
I won't ask the nature of your stay in a hospital but I am doubtful of the veracity of the statements the twit behind the counter made to you.
I think you have to be declared(in court) as an adult to be a danger to yourself or others, adjudicated (as adult) to be mentally incompetent, ruled temporarily insane or otherwise dangerous.
I think a stay in a mental ward as a young teen hardly qualifies.
I think all 14 year olds are just a bit more than just a bit crazy and I think the courts and Feds know that too.
I'd call another shop out of your immediate area.
Mass. huh? Well.....dunno. Your guys governments attitude is a little South of what we have here in Kali, and that's pretty bad.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was asked the same question on my LTC permit, I answered "yes" and it wasn't a problem.

It was 17 years ago at this point and it was for depression.

I don't want to NOT check off that box and have them come after me at some point because there is a paper trail, I am sure, leading back to my LTC permit where it says "yes" to that particular question.

I wish moving was an option but it isn't at this point in time.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Check your criminal record through your county and state, then NICS system (google if needed). If NOTHING returns on those three checks, by law you do NOT have to disclose any information on your stay. Most likely even though it was in the mental category, you were NOT judged mentally incompetent. Unless there is a paper trail of you actually being judged mentally incompetent forever, you are in the clear, change your answer at the next shop. If those checks come back with a felony record for county and state, or NICS denies you, you will be screwed. Clean is clean period.

Everyone goes through tough times, right now they understand that and allow for it, with the new prez it is sure to change. Check them records and if they come back A-OK continue with purchase.......

·
Registered
937 Posts
I tell you this was as a youth all recoreds are sealed so I would say either go to another shop and then check NO and let it be run threw the systems. If this is the only shop in the area I would wait a month or so and go back. Also check pawn shops they can order for you or you can order online and then fill out paper work with a transfer fee.

I would say if you fine now and not on any type of medication for depression then go ahead and do it that way. Check NO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
when i was 15 i was admitted as well. when you turn 18 that all goes away (in VT at least) so i answered yes. and still do answer yes. its not a lie, its gone as far as legalities go. i was in for anger issues, not any 'mental disease' but it should be the same.
-jake

·
Pursuing freedom.
296 Posts
You were a minor, and I agree with the person that said those records are sealed. If killing someone as a minor cannot be held against you as an adult, then why would being put into a mental hospital? Some parents do that because they don't want to deal with their kids...not the kid's fault.

If you were a criminal or were really mentally deficient, you would do what non-law abiding citizens and illegals do...buy it on the street. A lawyer should be able to correct this problem, or at least answer the question on the legitimacy of being a minor at the time, and not having to report it, since no one can access those records anyway, without a court order.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A false answer on a 4473 can be a felony charge, but there are definite options. A lawyer is a good place to start, as he/she can contact BATF for a ruling on your specific circumstances, and get a letter saying you may answer no on that question. I knew a guy who had to do that on the military discharge question, and once he got the letter from BATF he was clear of any possible repercussions. It is a lot of trouble, should not happen, but that is the best legal way to get relief.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,289 Posts
I think you should take a few days of vacation in a gun friendly state, that just happens to have a gun show going on at the time your there and make sure you have cash when you go. You are licensed to own and carry a gun in Mass. and as far as I know there is no law saying you have to buy the gun in Mass.

Check out Vermont....

Vermont Laws
http://www.atg.state.vt.us/display.php?smod=21

Vermont Gunshows...
http://www.gunshows-usa.com/vermont.htm

If I read the laws right, no NICS check, no waiting period, no BS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you should take a few days of vacation in a gun friendly state, that just happens to have a gun show going on at the time your there and make sure you have cash when you go. You are licensed to own and carry a gun in Mass. and as far as I know there is no law saying you have to buy the gun in Mass.

Check out Vermont....

Vermont Laws
http://www.atg.state.vt.us/display.php?smod=21

Vermont Gunshows...
http://www.gunshows-usa.com/vermont.htm

If I read the laws right, no NICS check, no waiting period, no BS.
if its a handgun she has to buy the gun in her state of residence...u could always go to a gunshow and buy from someone walking around with a handgun...

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,289 Posts
if its a handgun she has to buy the gun in her state of residence...u could always go to a gunshow and buy from someone walking around with a handgun...
Yep, thats why you should always have cash at a gunshow.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.