Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here recently I have had the opportunity to do some hunting and fishing with my oldest son.

At night we hunted small critters and coyotes. I was using a scoped .22-250 and a red spot light.

Here are my conclusions:
I found that it is difficult to hit a moving target with a scope at night in low light conditions.

If an animal makes it to cover and hunkers down, you aren't going to see it.

Seeing a set of glowing eyes doesn't tell you squat as to what you might be shooting at.

In unfamiliar terrain, again moving at night, it is easy and likely to stumble and twist an ankle, especially when there is no moon light and you aren't using a flash light (trying to maintain some light discipline).

Windy conditions take away your ability to hear or see a potential meal or target nearby.

It seems that noise at night is amplified 1000 x (maybe an exaggeration, but not by much).

It's warming up now and the snakes are moving again. Snakes don't like to be surprised anymore than we do.

Now for fishing:
Fishing equipment involved a run of the mill rod and reel, tackle and live bait.

There were times we never got a bite.

We fished at different times and in different weather conditions, with varying degrees of success.

My conclusion is that in a SHTF situation, or a survival situation, things are going to be much harder than some of us think.

Game animals aren't going to sit patiently as we zero in on them and fish aren't going to flock to our hooks.

So actions taken / lessons learned:

After all of this, one of the best additions I added (IMO) is a casting net. My hopes are that with the net we would have a higher chance of getting something to eat in a more timely manner than waiting on fish to bite.

I am looking for a good quality "high powered" bb / pellet gun. Again, nothing announces your presence to the world like a gun shot at night.

I would love to get a set of NVG's, but in all honesty that isn't high on the priority list.

I am thankful that I have good lace up boots, they undoubtedly saved me from serious ankle injuries.

Nothing beats experience! My son and I will be back at it again as time / work allows.

Thanks for taking time to read this and feel free to add y'alls opinions and critiques, and experiences.

Craig

·
outdoorsman
467 Posts
I think alot of the time fishing is just pure luck instead of skill. Last weekend I took my 5 year old fishing and at first we were not having any luck. Then tiny bites, we were pulling in hand sized bluegills and then he catches a 14 inch bass. It was his first bass and is very proud of it as I am him.

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
Thanks for sharing; I hadn't thought about it that much.
About the air rifle, you're going to be surprised how loud it is. The one's that push a .17 or .22 pellet over 1200 fps are really loud. I think Gamo makes a suppressed one. And, it takes some muscle to cock one; my wife can't do it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I agree 100%, have noticed all the same things in my exp.

For fishing, I have Yo-Yos and night-line material( Best luck I'v had with quantity). As far as cast nets.. I have used them, takes much practice, not good for most areas.. best for shrimp or heavily baited area. My guess is in some scenarios, there's going to be more people out there fishing.

Just hoping that if there's ever a problem, it's not NBC..Fallout,Runoff,currents would cause major(if not total?) fishkill, mutations or carriers.

BB guns and crossbows do have their places.

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
Traps. Traps for anything with fur, scales or feathers. Body grippers, leg hold, fish-traps, crawdad traps, etc.
Collect food, fur, leather, sinew, fletching, glue making materials, bones & antler for tools, all while your busy doing other things.

Been a trapper for forty years. Very few people are as good with snares as they think they are. Buy good steel, you'll never regret it.
Blowguns & self bows. Things you can make and use. Most folks can't tune a compound nor a crossbow, much less repair them; but a traditional archer isn't handicapped AS MUCH as a gadgeteer.
Never seen a bullet mold for .177...

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing; I hadn't thought about it that much.
About the air rifle, you're going to be surprised how loud it is. The one's that push a .17 or .22 pellet over 1200 fps are really loud. I think Gamo makes a suppressed one. And, it takes some muscle to cock one; my wife can't do it.
I'll have to do some more research into this area. We have a little Crossman 760, and in the past it was just used to get cats to move on when we lived in the city. Not to sure how effective it would be for larger critters.

I agree 100%, have noticed all the same things in my exp.

For fishing, I have Yo-Yos and night-line material( Best luck I'v had with quantity). As far as cast nets.. I have used them, takes much practice, not good for most areas.. best for shrimp or heavily baited area. My guess is in some scenarios, there's going to be more people out there fishing.
BB guns and crossbows do have their places.
I am going to try the net out this evening in my neighbors stock tank. Practice throwing it and retrieving it.

Traps. Traps for anything with fur, scales or feathers. Body grippers, leg hold, fish-traps, crawdad traps, etc.
Collect food, fur, leather, sinew, fletching, glue making materials, bones & antler for tools, all while your busy doing other things.

Been a trapper for forty years. Very few people are as good with snares as they think they are. Buy good steel, you'll never regret it.
Blowguns & self bows. Things you can make and use. Most folks can't tune a compound nor a crossbow, much less repair them; but a traditional archer isn't handicapped AS MUCH as a gadgeteer.
Can you tell me a little more about trapping? Up to this point in my life I have never considered it (city boy now living in the country). Do the traps kill or do the animals have to wait for me to come along and finish the job?
What kind of animals do you trap? We actually have beaver down here in central Texas.

We have a lot of rabbits here on our property and the adjoining property. I would like to try and snare one.

Any additional info about snares would be appreciated as well. I realize that I can do a google search, but getting first hand info from an active user is hard to beat.

Thanks for the input.

I think alot of the time fishing is just pure luck instead of skill. Last weekend I took my 5 year old fishing and at first we were not having any luck. Then tiny bites, we were pulling in hand sized bluegills and then he catches a 14 inch bass. It was his first bass and is very proud of it as I am him.
I took mine (he was 5 then as well) for the first time last Summer and it was a blast. The little guy did better than I did, and I understand being proud of them. For me, building memories with my kiddos is one of the best activities I can spend time doing.

Again, thanks for all of the info and experiences posted.
Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
All of these conclusions are exactly why I laugh at people that end a desciption of their BOL with, "and plenty of land to fish and hunt for game", as if just having the land equals food in their bellies.

This is one of the reasons why bugging out is simply not viable for most people. Unless you can afford to stockpile your BOL with all the required food and supplies, you may as well stay at home. Your BOL will need a lot of food already in place, as well as ways to resupply yourself via gardens and livestock like chickens and goats.

If you rely on hunting for any significant amount of your food, you will quickly kill all the easy game like squirrels and rabbits. Once that happens, you will be stuck traveling further and further to find game. Native Americans lived a pretty nomadic life for a reason; they had to stay mobile to hunt for food.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tonight we killed a rabbit, gutted it and cooked it over an open fire. It was a great experience as I also turned it into an anatomy lesson for my sons. We covered the different organs and their functions. My youngest (he's 2) sang "here comes Peter Cottontail"...... I guess he got his dad's sense of humor.

One decent sized cottontail wasn't too bad, but to feed all of us we would have had to taken more.

The rabbit was taken with a .22 hollow point which inflicts massive damage to a rabbits head, as we found out.

Again, just sharing what we do, feel free to throw you .02 in.

Craig

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I am going to get more meat to can .. tomorrow! You are right .. it will be much harder after SHTF .. both from a competition for resources standpoint and from a 'have to hunt at night to avoid others' point of view.

Yesterday however I went out to the road to talk to 2 guys who were obviously contracted to do what to me is a crazy waste of money - plant grass around a LARGE metal box that AT&T had put in along the road right in front of our property. The reason this is crazy is that grass will never make it pretty nor hide it and the land around it is full of vines and weeds and brush, which will quickly overrun the grass.

Anyway ... these guys had a very large bulldozer to scrape up a bit of dirt to throw around this horrendous thing .. and a rake. They were in no real hurry I gather so we got to talking (which 'comradery' also got me a free load of gravel for my totally unaffected driveway) .. and we were talking about hunting, canning, lots of things .. but I mentioned that I had a new 22 but our land was too close to the city and too small to use it on. The dozer driver said he was out shooting carpenter bees (a VERY useful skill .. one I would love to perfect!) the other day with his 22 .. and killing them. And that he taught his 4 year old granddaughter to do the same and she is a crack shot! At any rate, I said .. but doesn't that (shooting the 22) cause a lot of noise .. and he told me to go to any gun store and get 'subsonic' 22 bullets - that they make virtually no noise. Haven't done that yet .. but I think I just may. Might be a good thing to have on hand, no?

I just love talking to the locals (I have no NC accent, being from the north, but do my best to 'blend in' - and yesterday I had been in the garden all morning on my knees so I was dirty and I gather I was not too city slicker looking). Hence the free gravel, delivered and levelled! :) And another mountain lore tip .. never can beans (or anything else) when having your 'period' .. they will sour, I am told. Guess I was lucky all these years I have been canning stuff .. never knew that and never lost a whole batch. The other guy concurred that according the local lore and their personal experience with wives and daughters over the years .. losing a whole garden to that mistake will do you in, so beware! :)

Oh and I am so excited at all the tiny, but very edible, plants I am finding on my land this year. Had never noticed that I have wild onions .. dug up a few by accident while planting a new plot of rhubarb, asparagus and strawberries so I rescued them and replanted at the edge of the new garden. They seem to have survived - and I hope will multiply. And this year is a good year for wild violets too I see .. masses of them all over the place among the dandelions. :)

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of edible plant life. All of our land is pasture / grazing, as is all of the surrounding land.

Congrats on the free gravel. It's amazing what being nice and friendly can get you.

Craig

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
First off, Tater, congrats to your son. That is a special and memorable moment.

As far as fishing goes there is a great amount of skill involved. Knowing the weather and water conditions, time of day and type of fish. what type of baits to use and how to use them. If you are not an angler then don't expect to be able to do much in the way of providing food.

Hunting with a BB/pellet gun can be effective but you will need a quality rifle and yes they can be about as loud as a .22 -

As Tesla said they make subsonic .22 rounds but their distance is reduced comapred to a standard 22. Either one would be good to have. Even a standard BB gun can get the job done if you are close enough. Something like a Crosman 2100 or the relabled Remington equivalent has enough oomph to kill a squirrel or rabbitm out to about 35 yards. With a hunting pellet.

I view hunting and fishing as a great way of suplementing my food supply. I am not counting on it to survive. Start a garden and use the bb gun to keep the critters away from it. Plant fruit trees and other types that will attract game food as well.

I hope this has been helpful.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Ulf beat me to the punch with Trapping. Great suggestion, Ulf.

My basic point as to the OP is that you were engaged in an active search for food. You need to consider that passive methods work when you aren't and need to be incorporated if you intend to rely on them for food.

For game, that means setting traps and snares (passive) in addition to hunting (active).

For fish, that means trot lines, gill nets and bait fish traps (passive) in addition to line fishing (active).

In a true SHTF scenario, you would also add farming/ranching (passive) and foraging/gathering (active).

IMO, nobody is such and excellent hunter/fisher that they can solely rely on these active methods for food. They are just setting themselves up.

However, I think you can get a fair about of food if you also employ all of the passive methods at your disposal.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of edible plant life. All of our land is pasture / grazing, as is all of the surrounding land.

Congrats on the free gravel. It's amazing what being nice and friendly can get you.

Craig
Thanks.

I 'talk' too much. I blame it on being female, but, that is a rotten excuse. :)

My real point in my previous post, other than agreeing with your excellent post, was about the 'subsonic' 22 bullets those guys told me about. Had never heard of them before, but will be looking for some soon.

Thank you too, Didda, for giving me more info about them. I suspected their range would be reduced, but, I can still see potential uses for them. :)

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First off, Tater, congrats to your son. That is a special and memorable moment.

As far as fishing goes there is a great amount of skill involved. Knowing the weather and water conditions, time of day and type of fish. what type of baits to use and how to use them. If you are not an angler then don't expect to be able to do much in the way of providing food.

Hunting with a BB/pellet gun can be effective but you will need a quality rifle and yes they can be about as loud as a .22 -

As Tesla said they make subsonic .22 rounds but their distance is reduced comapred to a standard 22. Either one would be good to have. Even a standard BB gun can get the job done if you are close enough. Something like a Crosman 2100 or the relabled Remington equivalent has enough oomph to kill a squirrel or rabbitm out to about 35 yards. With a hunting pellet.

I view hunting and fishing as a great way of suplementing my food supply. I am not counting on it to survive. Start a garden and use the bb gun to keep the critters away from it. Plant fruit trees and other types that will attract game food as well.

I hope this has been helpful.
Indeed it was.

Craig

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Traps aren't much better than a fishing pole( unless you have traps that they walk and fall into something)...........it's hit or miss........for fishing, trot lines......a net is for running across the creek or setting up a fish trap........in the wild, folks are gonna have to get used to catching and eating easy to catch food, like snakes and insects and frogs and turtles and slow animals like possum and ****........afa moving at night, m-o-v-e* r-e-a-l* s-l-o-w, pausing often... I don't see much use in trying to hunt at night( altho most things come out at night). What about bow and arrow?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts