Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES IT require a large number ?
Does it require a certain number of other than white population?
Doe is require a certain level of living or life style, ie, what is considered middle class vs lower middle class or lower class.

Is there a population number that is a cut off point? Has to be at least 200,000 people, vs a dying city that has only 100,000 but with a large minority population?

We have a whole forum dedicated to URBAN SURVIVAL
but
when Joe Bob from Hippy Holler Kentucky talks about "urban whatever" how does it translate to Thad Covington from Upper Lip Mass or Surf Diego from the beaches of Southern Cal? "Urban Nashville" is a whole lot different than "Urban Los Angeles."

We think we KNOW what we are discussing, but is it really the same?

I think urban and I think dying city and white flight(welcome to Michigan, one of the few states LOSING people continuously for years) and a never ending combat zone as the city is bleeding out to the lowest common denominator being pretty much all that is going to be left, and those folks are not happy nor talented nor well socialized to play well with others outside of their world. In my world Urban had nothing to do with nice bedroom communities, those were the suburbs and while they were within reach of the urban area there was a definite do go zone where the two never met.
but
I know in other descriptions of "urban America" those places are all inclusive to the "metropolitan" area that encompasses everything within a certain radius regardless of geographic location. So you have the white/black/brown/other homeowner in his nice neighborhood and referred to as the up and coming young urban professionals...
and
I don't get it because in my urban area there were no yuppy scum of any color, they lived away from the "urban area"

So, when you think URBAN what are you thinking?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think 'urban' is where a significant amount of crime is caused by a relatively low national percentage of people. Where litter and crime are abundant, where there's lots of gum on the sidewalks (sure sign of bad 'hood), where 'services' like DMVs and even the USPO are abysmal.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
All of the above.
I've always pictured a high density population(any type of people),in a small area,usually a downtown,old..50-100 year estabished area,all concrete,no green...but my main criteria...is where its hard to find parking,and if you do,worried if your car will still be there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don’t think “urban” has anything to do with race. NYC was “urban” when it was full of white immigrants from Europe

To me, right or wrong, it is about population density. The worst thing about it is America, unlike other places like Europe and Asia, has SPRAWL. The cities are surrounded by never ending suburbs full of all sorts of people. We have no idea how those areas would handle an event.

With the never ending strip malls, gas stations, and housing developments, a group of marauding loonies have unlimited range. I know that here in the SE it’s hard to drive more than an hour without finding some kind of opportunity for resupply

edit: spelling

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
There is a difference between, city, urban, slum and suburban. They also transition so there is often not a clear cut border.

You can be in an urban setting and within a block it can become a slum. Unless that's where you want to be, you'd better backtrack. I start paying more attention when I see paycheck cash places, empty buildings and rolling metal grates on windows and doors. Not a great area after dark... but if I start seeing cars with tires gone, windows boarded up and piles of trash in yards I should have already been looking for a place to turn around.

There can also be pockets of rougher areas surrounded by ones that are fine.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IF ANYONE wants a REAL or surreal transition area...anyone familiar with DEEEEtroit and the "POINTES" as in Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, etc
Million $$+ houses right tight to the border of Detroit not so nice areas.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I also do not base any definition on race. Large amounts of people can be bad no matter their skin color or background. When I talk urban I envision downtown skyscraper type setup surrounded by the 'burbs. Large population density and minimal resource production. Basically if everything stopped there is no way to have enough to keep everyone fed for even a short time.

I live in the edge of a city some might call Urban, but there are local farms and such that will have resources to barter for. So that gives a cushion before the large scale combat over resources ensues. In my above description, it might only take a few hours for things to go to sh!t.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I would consider any sort of town or building development to be urban. I live in a town of 800(as of 2000 census) I would I don't consider it rural.

And since the forum gives you the option of "wilderness" or "urban" I wouldn't fault someone for considering anything that isn't secluded for miles from all other people to be urban.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Urban. From the latin Urbs or City. That is a wide definition but is typically defined as a cluster of people in a densely cordoned area.

So by the definition everyone has been working from to me it simply means within a city environment, ergo: clustered buildings widely developed with street arteries and sanctioned areas for specific uses. Ergo; Shopping, homes, parking, transportation etc.

Inputting people by demographic is disingenuous and as far as I am concerned a slight of hand to try and define people..

But thats me.

·
1,080 Posts
so much ignorance in so few posts is astounding. What does race have to do with anything? You think they don't have urban areas in China or Nigeria or Sweden where major cities are over 95% of a single race? Urban is just anything not rural. Basically self contained everything you need with lots of people within walking distance or less than 5 miles to anything you need. I guess suburban would be at least part urban too, it's right in the name.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Here's the .gov definition:

The Census Bureau began identifying densely populated urbanized areas of 50,000 or more population with the 1950 Census, taking into account the increased presence of densely settled suburban development in the vicinity of large cities. Outside urbanized areas, the Census Bureau continued to identify as urban any incorporated place or census designated place of at least 2,500 and less than 50,000 people.

The Census Bureau introduced the urban cluster concept for Census 2000, replacing urban places located outside urbanized areas. Urban clusters are defined based on the same criteria as urbanized areas, but represent areas containing at least 2,500 and less than 50,000 people.
The Census Bureau delineated 3,573 urban areas after the 2010 Census for the United States:
  • 486 Urbanized Areas
  • 3,087 Urban Clusters
I can't post, but there's an older 2010 map showing these "Urbanized Areas and Urban Clusters". I suspect it will have grown a bit for the 2020 census.

Personally, anyplace you have government housing is what I would consider "urban", but I'm biased because I've viewed several crime-heat maps. We have a small town about five miles away with a population of 6,500. I would say we have a couple "government housing" areas that are definitely ghetto and what I would consider urban. It's hard to define "rural as definition is basically not in an urban area or cluster...but my question is how far away must you be to really be considered "rural". I would say we are semi-rural. I guess most large suburban areas are considered urban clusters and any city over 50,000 is considered urban. But the use of "urban clusters" would likely be what is considered the suburban areas surrounding cities or sprawling metropolitan areas.

If you can't pi$$ out your front door, take the garbage out in your B-day suit, or shoot in your backyard...you're probably urban because you just ain't country 🤣

ROCK6

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the .gov definition:

If you can't pi$$ out your front door, take the garbage out in your B-day suit, or shoot in your backyard...you're probably urban because you just ain't country 🤣

ROCK6
AND YET. working the hood, none of those activities were exclusive to rural life.
REALLY
you would be amazed at the number of folks who called for the police and yet were stark naked when they answered our knock...and.. NONE of them were ever folks you would wish to feast your eyes upon nekked.. You really wanted to bleach your eyeballs afterwards.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
8,496 Posts
I was doing a walking anti-crime detail in a public housing area...I was standing between two of the buildings watching a group of teens/thugs/criminals [illegally] throwing dice...well lighted, sidewalk..they didnt see me and one gets up, takes 2 steps back and unzips...while he is peeing in full view of 40 people he turns his head and sees me...He couldnt understand “why I gotta go to jail?”

1 - 20 of 55 Posts