Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Ka bar made bk-9. The old Camilius ones are actually cheaper, but I wanted the 1095 Cro Van.

I can't wait to see how it stacks up against my current tank, Ontario sp-10. I know it'll beat the Ontario sheath wise, but I'm more inetrested in edge retention, sharpening, durability, and capability. This will be fun!

Then I want to get a Ka bar heavy bowie...kind of have the trifector of under $100 big knives.

So, what mods have any of you done to your bk-9's or bk-7's?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thats funny. Ive got a BK9 and Ive got an sp10 an the way which I cant wait to get my hands on.

My sp10 has been great, chopping, batoning, some prying, good stuff so far. Of course mine is like 8 years old, but I hope the quality is the same today.

It's the benchmark the Becker has to stand up to for me. From everything I see, It should.

·
Living To Ride
2,030 Posts
So, what mods have any of you done to your bk-9's or bk-7's?
Not much in the way of a mod but I followed this guys example My BK-7 Kit Knife. Made duplicate kits for my BK7, BK9 and BK2 with some variations that worked better for me. As I recall there are some other threads or web pages presenting other versions of what folks put in the handle & kit

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Several months ago I finally bought the USMC Ka-Bar I've been wanting for decades. Shortly after, my brother and I ordered a couple of the Dozier folders, which now goes everywhere with me. Then I ordered the Becker Necker, just 'cause it's so cool and inexpensive. Then, a few weeks ago I found a deal on the Becker Campanion ( I can't keep up with the numbers,BK2 ? ), got it for under $60,delivered.
Now I'm looking at those Dozier mini-folders, but I gotta talk my bro into one so we can split shipping. :D:
So,yeah, I guess I'm a Ka-Bar junky, too. :thumb:

·
Ego Sto Solus
179 Posts
i removed the bk 13's little kydex holder on the sheath cut a hole in it and strung it up with some 550..so essentially i turned it into a type of necker model..i now wear it around my neck at all times..it holds well though i wrapped some twine around the handle to give it a better grip and tighter lock in the "mini sheath"..as far as the bk 9 goes..doesnt really need any mods.though if i knew a way to add a sturdy crossguard i would definately do so

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I dimpled the handles with a metal cutting blade on a circular saw. I plan on sanding it with a course grit sand paper to get a uniform look. The dimples are great;just kinda ugly.

I'll show pics when before and after.

Kabarjunman1

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, mod wise, I was mainly talking sheath, that kind of thing.

It's still in transit....grrr....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, here's some pics for you all...

And finally, the "family"

The small horn handled is a file knife my brother made me.

·
Living To Ride
2,030 Posts
Well, here's some pics for you all...
Sweet, but there is obviously is a Becker deficiency. I suspect that is about to change. Once you start putting that BK9 to use you'll be NEEDING to invite the rest of the BK's into your family. Looking forward to hearing how you like that BK9 and what you do to put it through its paces

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sweet, but there is obviously is a Becker deficiency. I suspect that is about to change. Once you start putting that BK9 to use you'll be NEEDING to invite the rest of the BK's into your family. Looking forward to hearing how you like that BK9 and what you do to put it through its paces

I was actually thinking a bk-7 would be nice.

So far, I've just cut and batoned some dead wood out behind my house. My initial impression is that while lighter, it is actually a more effcient chopper than my sp-10. Simply because of the grind. The Becker bites much deeper with the flatter grind than the sp-10 with the hollow grind. I like it.

Next time I take it out, I'll get some pictures.

I also did some stab testing. So far, no dulling of the edge, and no visible damage to the tip. Light prying in wood with the tip also yeilded no damage.

I chopped some wood, then battoned through said wood, and it still popped hair off my arm...I could get used to this I said to myself.

·
Ego Sto Solus
179 Posts
hell yeah more beckers is never a bad thing..im itching for a bk2 companion me self...glad your blade arrived safely and you are happy with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts