Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dirty Mind
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these knives? I ordered a CQC-15 from Larue. I figured they sell quality products so I feel pretty confident that I am getting a solid knife.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Expensive with mediocre materials.

That said, I own more than a dozen:D: My very first was the Benchmade/Emerson collaboration of the CQC7 in the mid 90’s. Yes, they are expensive for the materials (middle of the road blade steel), rough cut G10, and machined fit/finish. Nothing spectacular, just functional. Their Wave feature is by far the fastest mechanism to deploy a folder from the pocket; faster than any auto I own. Emerson knives are some of the few liner-locks I’ll trust. I carried an Emerson variation for over 20 years while on active duty and a few combat deployments to include some post-retirement advisor time in Afghanistan and numerous deployments from jungles to deserts.

They do have some quirks such as their v-grind blades, but once you figure out how to sharpen them, they are pretty simply and effective.

I’ve ended up with:

Emerson CQC7 drop-point
Emerson Commander
Emerson CQC8 (a few, my favorite)
Emerson CQC10 (a couple, another favorite)
Emerson CQC12 (frame lock)
Emerson CQC13, Bowie blade design
Emerson A100
Emerson CQC-7F (model with a flipper)
Emerson Roadhouse
Emerson Kwaiken

I bought my son an Emerson mini Horseman when he was about 12 years old, and he got to meet Ernie Emerson at the Blade Show. I also presented him the Sheepdog folder when I graduated Infantry Basic/AIT.

Congrats and enjoy!

ROCK6

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
I've EDC'd a commander for years. The wave feature is great for one-handed opening and it holds a good edge. I've been really happy with it. I would say you made a good choice.

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
I bought a Mini A-100 a few years back, a purchase followed by the most miserable break-in period I've ever experienced with any knife, getting it to open smoothly. That aside, it definitely had the "overbuilt" construction going for it, and respectable if not remarkable steel. I prefer a good liner lock myself, as well as steel liners and G10 scales, so it was a good knife in that regard.

That being said, it sat in a BOB in a closet for years before being sold for a profit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have several and they are good knives.

Carried a CQC-8 and Commander all over the world as work knives.

Yes they can be expensive but they work and are easy to sharpen in my experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts