Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my very first wood stove that I bought from Tractor Supply! I absolutely love it! I cant believe my house was as warm as the hottest day in summer. It was 35 degrees outside and we were toasty to say the least. I was so hot that I had to wear shorts and was starting to sweat!

The only problem i had was getting the bedrooms of my mobile home to recieve some of the heat. So how do I circulate the heat through the rest of the house? How do I control the air exchange fan to turn on and off at different intervals?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well done Sticks.
We hav always had one and love it. they make the best bread and roasts you can imagine. You have some good times ahead of you .
Have you got a ceiling fan. Many people i know have a ceiling fan and a small ground fan to blow the heat up to the different rooms available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just finished installing my very first wood stove that I bought from Tractor Supply! I absolutely love it! I cant believe my house was as warm as the hottest day in summer. It was 35 degrees outside and we were toasty to say the least. I was so hot that I had to wear shorts and was starting to sweat!

The only problem i had was getting the bedrooms of my mobile home to recieve some of the heat. So how do I circulate the heat through the rest of the house? How do I control the air exchange fan to turn on and off at different intervals?
Congrats, Sticks! This is my first year heating with wood too. I picked up a Jolstrom Black Bear and it's doing a really good job. SO far the coldest it's been here is -19 and I was able to keep my house at a pretty comfortable 65 just using that. I'd recommend picking up an Airflow 'ecofan' you can get one at any fireplace store, tractor supply may carry them also. It's a really cool little fan that sits on top of the stove and spins as the metal under it warms up. The hotter your stove is burning, the faster it spins. I suspect it's increased the efficiency of my stove about 65%. Anyway, enjoy and keep warm!

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a "King" wood stove made by United States Stove Co. I paid about 650.00 plus 240.00 for the roof kit plus 220.00 for the two pieces of triple wall pipe. If you add that up it is alittle more than what I spend for last years propane, but over the years it will pay for itself. I got 4 rows of wood 5 foot high and 24 foot long plus 1/2 cord of kindling, "ALL FOR FREE!" The only cost I paid out of pocket was gas for the chain saw and bar oil, and an ocassional 20.00 for gas for a friend to help me haul it home. I may have spent 200.00 for all the wood. So I hope my stove is fairly effiecient.

Now if the I can get the old lady to put some wood in it! HA! HA! Shes afraid to use the darn thing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What model and size and price? I've been kicking the idea around to stub in the chimney piping and be ready if it's ever needed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can find small fans that go in the corner of a doorway and force the hot air from the roof area into the next room. Never tried one but looks like a good idea.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Stick22,
Congrats on the woodstove, I got a chuckle from your comment about wearing shorts and sweating...reminds me of a time when I got carried away with stoking the stove and wound up in a tee shirt with all the doors open in the dead of winter.

I don't know if this will work for your situation but this is what we do to circulate the heat in our home. I have a ceiling fan in the front room and one in that back room. I set the one in the front room to pull air up and the one in the back room to push the air down. Warm air rises cold air sinks and the ceiling fans just give it a little push to help it along.

·
free man
626 Posts
I'm in the process of refinishing an old cast iron wood stove recently given to me. Hope to have it installed by next month. I'm all giddy.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
have wood stove in cabin in Campti --- yea defenitely watch out stokin stove --- sweated a few times, in winter.

but there is IMO no better form of heating.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
I just yesterday picked up a Vogelzang woodstove from tractor supply.
Been heating the house with just the electric oven and 3 small space heaters.
The propane furnance isnt blowing warm air for some reason,we rent put in the work order a month ago,guess their not gonna fix it.
The basement stays just above freezing,good for my preps.
Its already been -30 f,with a wind chill of over -50,suppose get -20 tonite here
in eastern mt,no telling what the wind chill will be.
Its been warm enought with the oven and heaters.
Gonna burn the newness off the stove in the yard today,then put it in the basement
for when we need it.
Must be a trick to snapping stove pipe together.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just wanted to say that you people are going to love the wood heaters. I have one at the cabin,when we go there, I take the top off it in the winter months and put iron pans with food in them on top of the stove and cook that way. Also, at the bottom of the heater where the ash pan is, let ashes build up a little in the pan, put some hot coals in the ashes, then take foil and wrap potatoes, put down into the pan and put the ashes and hot coals around and over the top of the potatoes. The potatoes will bake. You can take an old mail box put that on top of the stove and cook bread in that. It sure saves a lot on the gas bill.

·
The Hammer & Anvil
3,559 Posts
I have been pondering this route as a backup for winter heat and some cold night cooking, I would love to see some pics of your setups. I am currently leased into the mobile home I am living in and thinking of buying it and the 1 acre wooded lot. It's nice and quiet and away from things or as much as you can be in this area.

Thanks!

·
wide awake
143 Posts
It's also a good idea to get an iron kettle/pot to set on top with some water in it for the humidity. I love wood heat, but it will sure dry the sinuses out. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
How many cords would you need for a small 3 bedroom house for an entire winter?

I'm looking at getting a wood stove and want an idea of how much wood I will have to get each year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How many cords would you need for a small 3 bedroom house for an entire winter?

I'm looking at getting a wood stove and want an idea of how much wood I will have to get each year.

I'm in MI and use 10 to 12 face cord a year for a 3 bedroom 1800sq house. The back bedrooms are a little cool but the front of the house is 68f. Not to bad since it's zero out right now with a wind chill of -22f.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts