Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you all are very familiar with JIT ordering that all the stores do nowadays to keep inventory costs low. So the shelves will be cleared by the first few people to rush them when TSHTF.

A couple weeks ago I was surprised at how good the Great Value brand of Powdered Milk tasted. So I went back the next day & cleared the shelf of the boxes (of 10 nindividual quart packages) that my local Supercenter had. What surprised me was that the six I cleaned out would still not be replaced 1, 2 and even 14 days later. I've started branching out & hitting some others that carry it so I'm getting there.

However, it reinforced how fragile the amount of food available really is...

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I also went to my local wally world and took all the bottled water off their shelves (as I do twice a month). It took them 5 days to put more out.

Funny thing though, this time, the woman who checked me out looked right at me and said "I know you're not going to drink all that water. What do you know that I don't? Do I need to go watch the news?"

I just smiled at her and said I liked water.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I've done this lots of times (just did it w/water yesterday, I bought all 16 3ltr jugs of Poland Spring) @ Wal-mart. I stopped back in today and it was all replaced. It has always been replaced right away with water, milk, blue Reliant water containers, Mountain House freeze-dry; almost any big purchase I have made, where I went back the next day or day after. My local grocery also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Being JIT, there really are no more "back rooms". However, with the product tracking, if you keep buying the milk, it will get restocked sooner. If you buy it out every Wed, it will get restocked Thurs. Unless nobody else buys it, in which case it'll get stocked Tues, ;)

The food is out there somewhere, factories don't shut down in the middle of the week. Most likely it's at distribution centers, or sitting in a trailer somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts