Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
When I was little, my mum used to get horsemeat because it was cheaper than beef. We used to have something called "smoked beef" which was cured and very very thinly sliced. We'd have it on our bread for lunch. But the beef was more then we could afford, so she used to get the horsemeat one. It tasted pretty much the same but was slightly chewier (tougher). (this was in Holland, not in the USA) For luxury treat, if it was a birthday or something, she would get the beef one.

·
Registered
33,400 Posts
Most people can't tell the difference...pony is good to, but the steak are just smaller

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
In Italy, when you order a steak, unless you specify that you want a beef steak, it will be horse usually. It's quite a popular meat there.
I've had dog (good), rat (also good), cat (not good at all), but never tried horse.

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
Ahhhhh horse... The other Blue Meat!

I've eaten horse and lots of other things that are considered "exotics" like dog, cat, monkey, cooti munde and more while taking a suvival course from Uncle Sam in Panama.

Everything tasted really good, especially when you're really hungry. But if the instructors ask, "Who likes hot peppers?", STEER CLEAR... it's a set up. Ask me how I know? LOL

Medic73

·
Registered
191 Posts
Around here in East Tennessee you can get horses for free or really cheap. People give them away on Craig's List regularly. This month there's several horses for $250, and $125, while that's not free it's darn cheap for 500+ pounds of meat.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
For some reason I was under the impression horse meat was illegal to serve in the US..? Guess I'm gonna have to find some now lol.

I've heard it's great. I've heard goat meat is really good too?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Ahhhhh horse... The other Blue Meat!

I've eaten horse and lots of other things that are considered "exotics" like dog, cat, monkey, cooti munde and more while taking a suvival course from Uncle Sam in Panama.

Everything tasted really good, especially when you're really hungry. But if the instructors ask, "Who likes hot peppers?", STEER CLEAR... it's a set up. Ask me how I know? LOL

Medic73
How do you know?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, you could watch it starve. It's major work growing enough food to keep a horse healthy.
They seemed to do ok before square bails of hay, Sweet feed and Purina.

Not saying that a guy living in the suburbs of Dallas would have an easy go of it, gut with enough acres in the right area, horses could free range and stay healthy.

Just saying that if I had a horse, even if I couldnt keep it healthy for long, there would be better uses than jerkey. Trade being one of the largest. Imagine in a SHTF situation (espicially one with no fuel) how valuable an animal like that could be to some.

As a side note......I grew up on a horse farm.. Thouroughbreds. For God sake........stay away from those. They would possibly only be good for Jerkey.....Quarterhorse or draft breed.......now there's a different story.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts