Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can get it for $1.20 a lb, plus shipping, in10 lb blocks. A 5 gallon bucket will cook one person's food for nearly a year, when it's used in a coffee can, with 5 wicks, inside of 1/2 of a gallon can. Put some 1" rocks between the 2 cans. Poke nail holes in the bottom, sides of the outer can, in the sides, ( above the wax) in the coffee can. Fill the coffee can a bit over half full of wax. This ensemble will boil a qt of water in 5 minutes or a bit less, a gallon container of water in less than 15 minutes. So the 5 gals is a great plenty, unless you have a large family group. This is a great way to "lay low", not having to get wood for cooking, not sending up smoke during the day, or having flames showing at night. Either can be seen for many, many miles, from a high spot, tree, etc, with a riflle scope. Were I a looter, such is what I'd be looking for, and I'd be listeningfor generators, shots, chain saws.

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's completely false, as anyone who will LOOK can see. I may not get around to all of them, right away. I have a major presence at many other forums, and a full time job. I just had a 3 day weekend, that's all.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
That's completely false, as anyone who will LOOK can see. I may not get around to all of them, right away. I have a major presence at many other forums, and a full time job. I just had a 3 day weekend, that's all.
LOL, you are not an ordinary troll! You are one of those super human trolls who runs around with an assault wheelbarrow destroying everything in your path!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Were I a looter, such is what I'd be looking for, and I'd be listeningfor generators, shots, chain saws.
Don't forget to listen for the sound of the exhaust from a souped up 450cc dirt bike with faring and 4- 5 gallon gas cans strapped on it.

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never said anything about "soupiing it up", so you are a liar. What I favor is the quietest bike that can be arranged, and it's not the primary choice for me, for shtf, either. It's for people who "think" that they need to go a long ways to the "retreat". I am certain that travel, post shtf is a very bad idea,and I intendto do as little of it as possible. I intend to mountain bike out to the local lake, and that's as far as I'm going, if shtf, for a year or more.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
I've never said anything about "soupiing it up", so you are a liar. What I favor is the quietest bike that can be arranged, and it's not the primary choice for me, for shtf, either. It's for people who "think" that they need to go a long ways to the "retreat". I am certain that travel, post shtf is a very bad idea,and I intendto do as little of it as possible. I intend to mountain bike out to the local lake, and that's as far as I'm going, if shtf, for a year or more.
Are you sure that is the best option in your case? You did say that you have 45 years of experience. You must be getting up there in age. Maybe you can have someone wheel you around in the assault wheelbarrow while you shoot your tactical .22 rifle at them. We all know that anything more than a .22 is worthless in a shtf situation.

·
PERMANENTLY REDACTED
1,244 Posts
Oh god not again

OK, here we go again...Take some corrugated cardboard and roll it up in a can. Add wax...Light the cardboard...Get Hot...You bet. We used to do this with soup cans, for an emergency stove...No liquids to spill...No fumes to deal with (Until lit)...I have a dozen of these made up as the OP describes, only. I use oil lamp wicks, one 1 inch wick per soup can...The coffee can sized ones with cardboard are great when out sledding in the snow...A place to stop and warm up your hands, as well as light your way.
Paraffin can also be used for short term canning, no longer USDA Approved, but Granny did it and she lived to be 95. You Can waterproof leather with it. You can make candles with it. You can soak dryer lint in it for fire starter...The list goes on...I got about 50lbs of the stuff in the stash. ...
So perhaps...Me thinks thou douth protest to much!

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
OK, here we go again...Take some corrugated cardboard and roll it up in a can. Add wax...Light the cardboard...Get Hot...You bet. We used to do this with soup cans, for an emergency stove...No liquids to spill...No fumes to deal with (Until lit)...
We used to do the same thing with tuna cans back in the Boy Scout days. They were better than Sterno for whipping up hot chocolate on a winter hike.

Thanks for the reminder ELBUFO. :thumb:

·
PERMANENTLY REDACTED
1,244 Posts
Distructions

Here is a neat emergency stove
Take a small mushroom can...Fill 3/4 full of paraffin. Suspend a 1/2" wick in it let cool. Get a standard vegetable can. Remove one end. Take a can opener like the ones that used to be used for beer...Triangular cut...Use it to put at least 4 holes in the sides of the can top and bottom...Yes it can be done. Take a pair of pliers and flatten the punched out metal in the inside of the can. You can use a drill. You may have to experiment with the number of holes required. The mushroom can will fit nicely inside the veggie can. To use, light the wick, and cover with the veggie can...Now you can set a small mess kit pan on top, and have a stable platform for heating water, MRE slop or for re-hydrating and warming Freeze dried products. Without the Veggy can you have a candle. This "stove" will smoke a lot unless the wick is properly trimmed. It will also smoke abnormally until the plastic coating on the veggie can is burned out. This is not a powerful stove by any stretch, but it dose work. All the "parts" nestle together with room for some waterproofed matches. Put the works in a zip-lock bag and stash! The stove can also be used to start a fire...pile up kindling on top of the lit candle...If you are good you can fish out the candle after the fire has caught...or light the candle and let it burn until you have a pool of liquid wax...poor this on tome tinder and light. These are cheap, every car should have at least one.
The only real draw back is that you have to let the candle cool before repacking it. This can take a while...

Most major food stores, hardware stores, and some Wall-Marts carry Paraffin wax. I Googled up this source for bulk:
http://www.wicksandwax.com/wax.htm I have no history with this company...just an example

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
Dont know why it took albeit to shake up my noggin and remember I have tons of candle making material, coffee and tuna cans, and lantern wicks. Not that I need any more small cooking devices as I have lots of Sterno, Canned heat, and mini stoves but heck, it would be a cool project to work on while I'm unemployed and would not cost me a dime. Sorry Reed, my troll killing friend but even Melvin can post something useful!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure that is the best option in your case? You did say that you have 45 years of experience. You must be getting up there in age. Maybe you can have someone wheel you around in the assault wheelbarrow while you shoot your tactical .22 rifle at them. We all know that anything more than a .22 is worthless in a shtf situation.
"and a 38." g.k.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
I cruise the thrift stores daily and several times I have come across replacement wicks for tiki torches. Never could see a use for them. Bet they would work great for this.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Wally World has had Gulf Wax on sale for $2.29 a pound for a couple of weeks now, as they do pretty much this time of year every year. Not as cheap as $1.20 (which I can never find at that price anyways) but without shipping costs it is still a good deal. (The cheapest we have found, in 10 lb quantities, is $1.63 a pound before shipping. You gotta get into the 60 lbs or more quantity to get down to $1.20 then pay another $15.00 in shipping costs.)

We just bought our annual 20 lbs yesterday from Wally World.

We like the one pound blocks - they are easy to store.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts