Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the idea of prepping, but feel that it is something important that needs to be done. I live in a townhouse/condo with no yard and limited space for storage with my daughter, her baby, and my boyfriend (who is not in great health). I'd like advice on where to begin and maybe some reference materials recommendations. I WANT to be prepared, I just don't know how to do it. There is so much information out there, it's overwhelming!

· Registered
35,462 Posts
https://www.stockupfood.com/food-storage-by-copy-canning/

Save bottles to put water in (yes, plastic degrades, toss the bottle after 6-12 months)

Keep in mind that 99.9999% of problems will be solved within 30 days... So set that as your goal.

Rent/ bill money for 30 days saved up.
A first aid kit
Food a d water for 30 days etc

Once you Get there decide if your comfortable with that... Or want to keep going.
(making a storage area under your mattress is a good way to store the materials out of sight and out the way.)

· Capability, not scenarios
13,162 Posts
Congrats on getting started!

I suggest that new preppers focus on time frames; it can appear daunting as you read the various threads here and realize how much learning and doing there is to accomplish.

But try this: Focus first on having enough preparedness to get you through a weekend with no services. No electricity, no water, no heat, no gas, no anything. That's the kind of event that's common after a storm, though to lose everything maybe not.

Then focus on a week: enough water, light, heat, and food to make it through a week without any of those. This might be the result of a huge storm, a hurricane, perhaps an earthquake. Maybe an ice storm.

Then get to two weeks.

The thing about two weeks is this: almost all the "events" you might experience end by two weeks, or help begins to arrive. If you can hold out that long, things begin to return to normal.

Then, once you have that, build up to whatever your goal might be. Maybe it's a month, three months, a year--who knows?

And the funny thing is this: no matter how long you prep for, you're still going to need those first two weeks!

The other thing I suggest is focusing first on the big six: Water, Food, Defense, Hygiene, First Aid/Medical, and Heat/Light/Cooking Fuel. Those are the things you'll need regardless, so don't get lost among discussions about the best this or that--your focus initially should be on the big six.

And of those six, Water is number one. You can live a month with little or no food, but you can't last more than 3 days without water.

Good luck!

· Bad Moon Rising
10,117 Posts
I always suggest that people new to prepping at least take a look at this site, which offers a wide variety of "how to get started" ideas at a basic level:

www.ready.gov

It really isn't so different from planning a camping trip, except that initially you aren't going anywhere. But if the power is off, the water pressure doesn't pump up to wherever your floor is in the apartment building, there's no gas, and the heat/air conditioning is off - no utilities - then you start there and ask yourself "what do we need" to deal with these sorts of conditions for, say, one week? (P.S. if the grid is down, the ATMs don't work, so putting a little bit of cash in an envelope somewhere may be a good idea also.)

You take it one step at a time, but step one is making a decision to do something rather than nothing. So congrats on that!

· Registered
2,142 Posts
I am new to the idea of prepping, but feel that it is something important that needs to be done. I live in a townhouse/condo with no yard and limited space for storage with my daughter, her baby, and my boyfriend (who is not in great health). I'd like advice on where to begin and maybe some reference materials recommendations. I WANT to be prepared, I just don't know how to do it. There is so much information out there, it's overwhelming!
welcome and great luck to you. the most important thing for survival other than air is water, clean water. my advice to anyone who takes the personal responsibility to prepare for emergency situations is to get redundant water filtration and storage. i have a few suggestions that i use but there are many options. before you buy anything else get a good water filter. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/be...lter_british_berkefeld_portable_purifier.aspx
http://www.absolutesurvivalist.com/water-filters.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.