Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was heading to Duluth, MN today with the rental trailer we had towed up here on Friday, to bring my sisters stuff down to her new apartment and lost control on the ice and went in the ditch truck rolled onto its right side trailer stayed up.

I would say more of what exactly happened and why I think it did but im getting pretty sore and im going to go to bed have to drive the rental suv we got down to Duluth tomorrow and sign papers for closing on the house and get some last few things out of the house to bring back as well.

Truck didn't seem to be in that bad of shape 1 broken side window broken mirror bit of fender damage but otherwise seemed ok was driven into the repair lot "towed to the lot"

Was me my mother and father in the truck "4 door" they were both on passenger side and that's the side that we rolled onto.

No one is hurt but im sure everyone is going to be sore, I was hanging from my seat belt hitting the button released it dropping me onto my dad was able to climb out the drivers door with help from a by standard holding it open etc but was thinking I was going to have to break the front windshield to get parents out and me at first.

Anyhow like I said will write more about it later right now im tired and sore and just want to get some sleep so I am ready for tomorrow.

Update:

So what happend Was driving along in the right hand lane started up a hill when suddenly the front end went to the left \ tried to steer right to correct but nothing happened truck continued going to left into left hand lane trailer went beside us in the right hand lane then whipped around behind us into the center median ditch pulling us in when the truck hit the snowbank it rolled onto the passenger side was drug back about a car length then stopped. We were only doing around 50-60mph at the time road seemed to be in ok condition however there were areas where it was worse had been switching from 2w dr to 4w dr and back the whole trip when the road looked bad don't know if I was in 4w or 2w at the time.

Our best guess at this point as to what happened is we think maybe as we started up the hill the truck down shifted and the trailer pushed us or something, the 2 people in 2 different cars behind us both said they saw the trailer go first. It happened very very suddenly. It was a covered trailer similar to a u-haul but from a different rental company it was not heavily loaded less than 500 pounds in it by our guesstimate 1 layer of boxes on the floor and a few on top of those as well as a bed frame against the left wall boxes were on the right side counter weighting the bed. Trailer seemed to tow perfectly up to that point "I have towed a lot of trailers with a lot of different loads" this accident scares me because I don't know what happened and to me it seemed that I was doing everything right, only thing I would change is going even slower however I was already getting passed quite a lot by people doing 70 which gets a bit interesting it self.

Anyhow I hope somewhere in there is a lesson for someone else that even thought everything seems fine and that you seem to be doing every right, stuff can still happen so be even more careful.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
No one is hurt but im sure everyone is going to be sore, I was hanging from my seat belt hitting the button released it dropping me onto my dad was able to climb out the drivers door with help from a by standard holding it open etc but was thinking I was going to have to break the front windshield to get parents out and me at first.

Anyhow like I said will write more about it later right now im tired and sore and just want to get some sleep so I am ready for tomorrow.
Just remember that, unlike the other windows, the front windshield is laminated. So the breaker will shatter the glass but it will not come apart due to the lamination. So then you still have to tear through it if you go that route. Much easier to go through the side or back window if you have a choice.
Glad you are OK.

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just remember that, unlike the other windows, the front windshield is laminated. So the breaker will shatter the glass but it will not come apart due to the lamination. So then you still have to tear through it if you go that route. Much easier to go through the side or back window if you have a choice.
Glad you are OK.
Ya Unfortunately the side windows were on the ground and uppers were just difficult rear was a 3 piece with slider so wouldent have worked plus with the topper on there was another 3 piece right behind it and didn't know how bad the topper was.

We all got out the doors that were in the air, but I wasn't sure that was going to happen at first. Both my parents are older 50+ not in the best shape and my dad has a bad leg/legs I got out first by stepping on the glove box door and lifting myself out the open drivers door "a by standard was holding open" then I helped my dad out he used his bad leg to push him self up off the passenger seats headrest, and my mother did similar from the back seat with help from the by standard who reclined the seat so she would have something to step on and me helping pull her up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry to here that bro... Glad to here everyone is ok and you got your folks out realitivly unscathed. I rolled a car back when I was a young pup and a sign came through the front window to boot. I would keep an eye out for whiplash and such, ussually takes a couple of days for all the aches and pains to set in.

·
A little a day adds up
75 Posts
Glad to hear you and your parents made it out safe. I've had my share of close calls, and if you come out of it alive.. it simply makes you stronger, wiser, and better prepared.

An item I picked up a little over a year ago, has everything you need in such an emergency. It's a flashlight, seat belt cutter, glassbreaker and emergency warning light. I was surprised that the thing has some pretty decent weight to it. The one I have looks something like this:

Auto Emergency Waterproof Flashlight, Window Breaker & Seat Belt Cutter

Or if you don't need the flashlight and emergency light, this one looks like it could easily do the job:

Chrome Life Hammer

·
Registered
480 Posts
...it was not heavily loaded less than 500 pounds in it by our guesstimate 1 layer of boxes on the floor and a few on top of those as well as a bed frame against the left wall boxes were on the right side counter weighting the bed....
Good thing the trailer stayed upright. I would hate to have to sort through that mess of stuff. I figure with all of that dead space above the boxes it would have made for a disaster.:eek::

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Glad to hear you and your parents made it out safe. I've had my share of close calls, and if you come out of it alive.. it simply makes you stronger, wiser, and better prepared.

An item I picked up a little over a year ago, has everything you need in such an emergency. It's a flashlight, seat belt cutter, glassbreaker and emergency warning light. I was surprised that the thing has some pretty decent weight to it. The one I have looks something like this:

Auto Emergency Waterproof Flashlight, Window Breaker & Seat Belt Cutter

Or if you don't need the flashlight and emergency light, this one looks like it could easily do the job:

Chrome Life Hammer
The one with the mount seems promising although not sure where I would mount it, I know in the past I have seen knifes that have a seat belt cutter on them and I thought the glass breaking point on the bottom. Of course it won't have as much weight as the hammer type or that other? But my thought was its in my pocket so its easy to get to for the most part, since we rolled nothing was where it started out at.

Good thing the trailer stayed upright. I would hate to have to sort through that mess of stuff. I figure with all of that dead space above the boxes it would have made for a disaster.:eek::
No doubt, when we got to Duluth we looked in via the side door and everything was pretty much how we had put it few things moved a bit but basically our job at packing it well kept everything from shifting. And none of the boxes even opened. "most were not taped"

edit: oh ya heard some about the truck no estimate yet but apparently the roof was dented in some and with paint and everything else wont probably get it back until the end of next week so right now im renting at 65+ a day going to go look around for a beater truck to buy for under 1k so I don't have to rent

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well accidentally bought a prep truck yesterday

Bought a 1989 gmc sierra 1500 and its electronics free I believe. Has a 350 with a carborator, runs real nice and only cost me 1600 with license and fees. Already put over 150 miles on it probably.

Gonna pay for itself over renting that suv at 65 +30% a day since I would have needed it until at least the end of next week, as it was it cost me over 300 for the 3 days I had it.

·
Bushidoka
2,902 Posts
How/Where Do You Secure Your Belt-Cutter/Glass-Breaker?

I keep one of these ziptied to the gear shift in the center console. Cheap insurance for under $10. Hopefully I will never need to use it.

ResQme
I carry a heavy hunting knife "perched" on a shelf below the console, which I figure can be used to cut a seatbelt or other strap, or to break a side window. Initially I liked the idea of having it "handy" and still out of sight.

However if it is to be available when needed after a crash or rollover, I realize I need to secure it in some manner so it doesn't go flying around the cabin to get lost or out of reach.

I guess everyone's vehicle is different, but I'm interested in what others use. What do you keep for this/these purposes, and where and how do you secure it to stay within reach of the driver?

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
The only rapid way to get through an auto windshield rapidly is an air powered saw or an ax. An ax is much quicker, I have done it several times responding to auto accidents. Make sure your victims are well covered :thumb:

·
Corpsman Up
2,939 Posts
A door panel is generally not a good choice. Doors often get crushed in against the seat or against your body in a side impact. Just about anywhere else within reach is a better choice.
I occasionally place a holstered firearm in the door compartment, but my medical gear is in the back seat, easily accessible.

Other times, the EDC weapon is in the cup holders or passenger seat, or behind the passenger seat in the pouch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A door panel is generally not a good choice. Doors often get crushed in against the seat or against your body in a side impact. Just about anywhere else within reach is a better choice.
If what ever can crush in the door of a lifted 4x4 F450, I doubt if I'll be
worried about getting out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts