Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be very interested in the experiences of fellow members in regards to kayaks and what they have or used.

I posted in another thread but I felt that I would very much like to start an entirely new one that is geared just for kayaking and some of the associated equipment that can be used for camping, survival and basic use.

I was looking in the circular for my local paper http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal...99&pagenumber=1&rapid=719306&prvid=DSG-090627 and decided for the price, size and use that this would be a good "starter" kayak. I even got 10% off during the sale as a Vet (you have to ask, and have current/retired ID or a VA card).

I've had canoes in the past, but I'm not a hardcore kayaker but saw this as a great opportunity to explore a rather large resevoir nearby my home (with a 10 hp limit) get some decent exercise, enjoy nature, get some relaxation/serenity and maybe even fish :thumb:.

I threw in a decent paddle for $50.00 and now I have a kayak that's small enough to throw into the back of the truck when I want to hit a few larger lakes and streams to fish or even, if needed, a possible BOL piece of a equiptment and all for under $210.00.

I'm going to make a small frame out of some 2x4's laying around to enable it to put into the back of the bed of my Ranger Pick-up and also to be able to transport it using the cab roof (kinda like a ladder rack) so it won't stick precariously out of the back of the truck and still allow for loading of supplies if needed.

I'll post some pics about that project (as soon as I finish the bathroom remodel that Mrs. AB has me doing right now,lol) and I may camo the kayak out using some additional colors and leaf pattern stencils (for that gen-yew-ine bubba look) as the base color I got on this model is an Olive Drab/flat kind of color.

Like I said, it's nothing fancy, but i think it's a good start and I may even add another storage compartment in the front similar to the back one. I was also wondering if, as a precaution it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some of that expanding foam in the front and rear stem/keel areas for additional floatation if swamped. I was also wondering if I could put some foam in the sections of the paddle (it comes apart like a pool skimmer in the center) as well to aid in floatation for accidental "float tests"...

Any insights as always would be really really appreciated in any regards on this topic!

Thanks, God Bless..

AB...OUT!

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
I have two kayaks and they figure into one of my SHTF plans. Mine however are geared towards the ocean so they are 17' feet long but they translate well into the version you have in some respects.

Flotation: Instead of spray foam fore and aft you have some other choices.
A. Cut out a piece of thick foam that fits the shape of the interior bow and stern.
Caulk with good Marine caulk or good waterproof caulk into place. This creates
an air pocket
B. Plastic milk jugs or similar.
C. Most kayak places sell Flotation Bags that fit bow and stern. There are some
where you can put supplies into.
D. Even filled with water my boats do not sink, even without flotation.

Paddle: Most paddles float by themselves. Mine have a metal shaft but float. When
going out on the water use a Paddle Leash made out of rope or purchase one.
You DO NOT want that sucker floating away! Throw the paddle in a small body of
water to see if it sinks before altering it in any manner.

Front storage: Before you spend the money to be another hatch in the bow, see how
much room is left after your body is in there. You can always store gear in Dry Bags
up front.

Truck rack: Make it so you carry the boat UPSIDE DOWN. Carrying it constantly with
the bottom touching the rack will eventually malform the keel. (Especially in hot weather) It will then slip in
the water slower and perhaps make tracking more difficult. I constantly see
people with $2000 kayaks on their cars/trucks being carried the wrong way. This is especially true with Rotomolded hulls (plastic)

Take the boat to shallow water, get in it and fill it with water. This will give you some idea of the flotation capability of the craft and what to do to it if anything. Remember, you can put quite a bit on deck secured under the rigging. Oh, add more rigging.

PM me with any questions if you want. That's my fiberglass one in the pic. Vintage 1985
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Kayak Boating

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
I envy you guys horribly!

I grew up on the water always used someone else! I have always wanted one of my own!

Every time I get ready or able I get kicked in the pants and cant!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:mad:

Thanks for the heads up on price for the lake kayak!

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i have a basic kayak like you have. they rock. they are fast and manuverable, and yet stable. i can fit my dog in it in front of me and still paddle fine. they are also about indestructable.
dont let any kayak snobs tell you it isnt any good!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I love kayaking. I suggest getting a bilge pump to get the water out when it gets in there. A skirt might help also, but if you are in calm water, it shouldnt be to big of a deal. I do a lot of fishing off my kayak. Although the one I currently have is a malibu mini-x. Single person and 35 pounds. After starting with a few kayaks like yours, I found them to be SO MUCH FUN!! I wish I had one earlier in life.

Find out what you like in a kayak and what you want to do in one. After getting a few different used kayaks to start with, I found that I like the SOT (sit on top) kinds a lot better for me. You have the SIK (sit in kind). With all the calm waters in florida, it seemed better choice for me. I am even able to stand and fish from my SOT kayak. I also like the rotomold and can store a hellava lot in it. Even a full size bolt action rifle.

Enjoy the kayak and my other piece of advice besides the bilge pump is get a GOOD PFD! Dont ever leave without it not matter how well you can swim. You never know. I did a roll once and there was something in the water and almost knocked me out underwater. Get a good PFD.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Good for you. It's a nice little river kayak you've got there. Extra floatation is a good idea. A swamped kayak is almost impossible to get out of the water. Don't put too much floatation into it though just because the lower you sit in the water the less wind you catch. I found that kayaks catch more wind that canoes even though they are lower in the water.

Drip catchers for the paddle are really good. The water will flow down the paddle into the kayak on your lap if you don't have them. A couple good dry bags are good too as you tend to get wetter in a kayak than you do in a canoe (for the most part).

A little river kayak like what you have is perfect for sneaking into back waters. You can go to hidden places most can't. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
great info in this thread. lots of good suggestions. i'm just getting into kayaking myself and have always borrowed a kayak from a friend. looking to buy one myself soon though. thanks for the info!

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
I'd be very interested in the experiences of fellow members in regards to kayaks and what they have or used.

I posted in another thread but I felt that I would very much like to start an entirely new one that is geared just for kayaking and some of the associated equipment that can be used for camping, survival and basic use.
I have a little time right now and will add a few more tidbits that I have about kayaks.

Camping: A lot of the gear you have now in your BOB will fit into a kayak. The things you take with you are very much the same. Some differences would be Dry Bags for storage, extra footwear and socks to change into. If you plan to carry a weapon that presents an issue with keeping it dry. A waterproof pouch for a hand gun and a soft case for a rifle can be stored inside the boat next to you.

Basic Equipment:
Spare paddle. or half a paddle. Some people carry half of a wooden canoe paddle. If you lose your main paddle then you are up the creek so to speak if away from shore.
Life jacket. (PDF) A must have.
Bilge pump. Hand pump lashed to deck. It's hard to paddle a boat filled with water!
Spray skirt. If you are out in the rain you will be glad you brought one.
Paddle float. Used to get yourself back in the boat if you fall out. Learn how to use one if serious about being out on the water alone.
Whistle or horn. In case of emergency or when the fog rolls in. Tells people where you are.

Of course there is the usual stuff that you have already that you bring even on a day paddle somewhere.
Knife
Compass
Energy bars
Sunscreen
Hat
On, and on and on.....:)

What I have are two 17' ocean kayaks because well, I live on the Atlantic. This makes what I carry and what you may carry somewhat different depending on the situation. I do mainly Winter kayaking and that means the water is about 36 degrees and the air is below freezing. I HAVE to have a Dry Suit and a Wet Suit on in case I go over. If I didn't, my hands would become useless in about two minutes and I'd be dead in about 15 minutes if not prepared. Generally what kills you is not the Hypothermia but the automatic inhale response when your head hits the water. Ever jumped into a very cold shower? Same response. I have specialized headgear I wear.

Can't make this into a book but hope this little bit of information helps someone.

I do have a Cold Water Kayaking website I'm just putting up. It's kinda of devoid of info at the moment but you can see my bloated face!
www.paulskayak.com

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice site there Maine. Appreciate the info. I DO have a bilge plug of sorts forward and topside for draining (flip kayak over and hold upside down on the beach). I've owned a few boats (and lived aboard one for a couple years as well) so the idea of safety gear isn't wasted on me.

I still have a lot of gear from the last boat I owned (an older 40' Beneteau). I DO have plenty of drybags for UHF radio, money, gun, etc. I'll just scale it down of sorts to the basics like small air horn, 1 all around/white light (as per rules for vessels under 16ft) a set of pencil flares, etc. This is going to be a fun experience I can tell already...and ALOT cheaper too. LOL.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Depending on your kayak, I have tip. This work with almost any kind, but regardless one item so many don't take and should is needed. A PDF is needed above anything in my opinion. Even if you can swim its always uesful.

Anyways lets say you flip a kayak and fill it up, and you can't easily get to some place to stand. You can hang onto the side of your kayak and splash air into the kayak. This will fill it up full of air, get the water out, and if you do it right you can flip it back over without having quite as much water in it if you have a good PDF/buoyancy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.