Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there are any passages that have to do with prepping or storing food back for emergencies in the bible. I have tried to read it but I just don't understand the language sometimes of what i'm reading. I have a study bible that is written in plain english to where I can understand it but it's a loooong read.

I believe in God but reading the bible has always been bothersome for me. My mother is very christian and i'm trying to get her and other relatives to prep more. They're all christians.

I thought maybe if I could get some passages out of the bible maybe that might motivate them more.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Proverbs 30:25, "“The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer;”

Proverbs 6:6-8, "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest."

See zooeyhll's post above. Joseph, the beloved son of Jacob/Israel prepared for the seven year famine while in captivity. He became one of Pharaoh's top advisers.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Proverbs 28:19, "He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread: but he that followeth after vain persons shall have poverty enough."

Proverbs 21:20, "There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up."

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Yeah. I found something that deals exactly with that.

"Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles strive after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.”

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Proverbs 30:25,
Proverbs 6:6-8, "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest."

Love Proverbs. It has always amazed me the scientific accuracy of the Bible, this is one of those verses. How did those people so long ago know that almost all the ants in the ant pile were females, and the males don't do any work anyhow.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Luke 22:36
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Clearly Jesus was telling followers to prepare with a sword for what may come.
I agree. A sword was the AR-15 or state-of-the-art weapon of that era. Christ had nothing at all against self-defense weapons.

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Matthew 6:16-34
16Then He told them a parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced an abundance. 17So he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, since I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and will build bigger ones, and there I will store up all my grain and my goods. 19Then I will say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take it easy. Eat, drink, and be merry!”’

20But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be required of you. Then who will own what you have accumulated?’

21This is how it will be for anyone who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich toward God.”

25 Therefore I say unto you, Be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment? 26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto [a]the measure of his life? 28 And why are ye anxious concerning raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God doth so clothe the grass of the field, which to-day is, and to-morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Be not therefore anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 For after all these things do the Gentiles seek; for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Luke 12
22And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?c 26If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,d yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. 30For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31Instead, seek hise kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Hmmm...
Sounds like a Lynyrd Skynyrd song

Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself.
… Now they call you Prince Charming
Can't speak a word when you're full of 'ludes
Say you'll be all right come tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you…

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,907 Posts
I think the important question to ask is OP saved?

Because you can't prep for hell.

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,252 Posts
I have tried to read it but I just don't understand the language sometimes of what i'm reading. I have a study bible that is written in plain english to where I can understand it but it's a loooong read.

I believe in God but reading the bible has always been bothersome for me.
I strongly recommend the CEV translation, which stands for Contemporary English Version. I have the Challenge Study Bible version in large font. Even the foot notes are in large font, which is very unusual. It is written around an 8th grade reading level. So, it is physically easy to read - no eye strain - and the language is easy, they way most people talk today.

It sometimes combines verses to be more consistent with the way we speak today. A great example is Numbers 1:20-46 The number of men from each tribe who were at least twenty years old and strong enough to fight in Israel’s army was as follows. Then a list rather than tedious repetition of sentence structure. Fact is, I enjoy reading it. Because I enjoy reading it, I read it more. Let me just give 1 comparison in Joshua 1:9.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
KJV

I’ve commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the Lord your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go.
CEV

·
20,252 Posts
Joseph advising Pharaoh to store grain for a seven years' famine.
This is the answer I like best, short and concise. Let's not forget about Noah and the flood. He didn't wait until it started to rain. :)

I also like 'seek and you shall find.' It puts prepping as a responsibility and initiative for one to take.

·
20,252 Posts
Mark 3:9-10 (VOICE)

9-10 Since Jesus had healed so many, the sick and the infirm pushed forward constantly to touch Him, to be healed, and to ask His blessing. The crowd pressed so closely around Jesus that He asked His disciples to get a boat He could board if the crush became too great.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts