Survivalist Forum banner

Just curious... crime up in your area?

4K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  Ruck 
#1 ·
In my area, break ins have increased. Probably 5-10x more frequently that 5 years ago, heck even a year ago.

How about in your area?

#2 ·
The Rockford area has been seeing an increase in crimes, mostly robbery. The local press broadcasts about them, but doesn't make any statements about increases (we suspect denial).
Most notably, robbery - if you want a delivery/driver job in Rockford, they are readily available (assuming you don't mind being the target of an armed robbery).
The area has also seen a large increase in the amount of retail/gas station robbery.

#3 ·
as a general poll, this will be skewed by several factors.

1) violent crime is down over last 2 years in the nearby large city, but they have a new police chief - not a politician, this one has implemented new policies and that has made a difference.

2) theft and home burglary has increased substantially over the past 2 years due in part to increased pressure from unemployment

3) gang related crimes - particularly theft rings and drugs have increased considerably in our small town as a spill over from the larger nearby city.

4) illegal latinos have continued to move out of the city and expand into our community as the city folk aren't building new homes nor landscaping nearly as much, so pressure on that day-labor has been severe...with the migration has come additional pressures on crime and social services (which I also consider theft as these folks clearly aren't here legally but are consuming our services)

#6 ·
Yes....I live in the Charlotte NC region, and our ittle community has had more drive by thefts, and most recently an occupied daytime home break in...no one was hurt, they got away...

our neighbors have reported more brazen approaches by folks, trying to gain access to gar/house to scope it out, or rip em off, or worse...

I personally have seen and confronted, mainly at night, "walking the dog," occupants, taking info and calling the coppers...

It's going to get worse too....

#8 ·
Oh, yeah. Crime is increasing by leaps and bounds, here. Local banks are being robbed, repeatedly. Same for convenience stores. A group of three small businesses (which shared common indoor walls) was recently robbed when they were closed. Thieves broke into the end store and then just knocked holes in the common walls of the other two stores and walked out the door of the third store with the take from the robberies.

Local police have advised residents to lock their cars and not to leave ANY valuables in plain sight inside the vehicles, including small amounts of money (like change back from a drive-thru fast food place, etc.) Reason for this warning is because thefts in parking lots of stores (like Walmart, etc.) are becoming a favorite of thieves. They just smash a window, grab what they can quickly reach inside the vehicle, and run off. I know it seems ridiculous that anyone would take this chance for such a small amount......but, apparently many people are becoming just exactly that desperate, now.

And this is just a small village that I live in. I don't even want to THINK about how much crime has to be skyrocketing in big cities.

#9 ·
Certain crimes are rising here, a lot more break-ins, robberies, murders have been up the past couple of years with smaller communities seeing their first homicide in many years. Here in KC some have even resorted to stealing the lights out of the city fountains and the copper off of roofs of park buildings, the economy is probably the cause of most of this increase so I do not see crime declining anytime soon.

#11 ·
somewhat yes, There is little to no crime in my town to begin with, but I have seen a slight increase in burglary reports. Still less than one a month though. The highlight of the police blotter this week was,
"officers responded to a suspicious incident where a woman was moving out of her apartment, after taking a load to the car she returned to the apartment to find the door open, and the vacuum on" As you can see my town is a hotbed for criminal activity

#12 ·
Jacksonville is gettnig worse. When I first moved here over 10 years ago it was referred to as the "little Atlanta." It is much worse. Cops are just now starting to patrol our area daily even though we have been asking for this for years thru our neighborhood watch. Kind of a day late and dollar short. The increased break-ins and store robberies are directly porportional to the number of grannies packin'. God, I can't wait until my husband retires so we can get out of this hell hole.

#13 ·
In a word, yes.
Not exactly a major crime wave, but gas stations/convenience stores, petty thefts, car break-ins..
Bank robberies are either being reported more often (I doubt that), or they are more frequent.
We have police report columns in our local news papers, .. used to contain mostly 'loud dog barking' complaints, 'loud party' complaints, 'domestic disturbance' .. now there are more car break ins, home invasions, garage break-ins, .. more thefts.
So, yeah.. there is a bit of a crime increase around here.

#14 ·
Describes our sleepy little bedroom community perfectly, seeing more and more car break ins, garage theft, burglary etc. also seeing a lot of retail fraud, (stealing from one box store and returning the item for cash at another box store). Petty crimes to net some easily pawned items for cash. 2 yrs ago, the paper would have a domestic disturbance, barking dog, occasional traffic stop resulting in a drug arrest and that was it.

#15 ·
Crime rates and the price of gas are directly related. As the price of gas goes up, the rate of petty crime goes up - especially crimes of opportunity.

To answer the question - yes, it seems that more violent crimes are being reported in my area.

#16 ·
This city has always been rated 2nd safest city (over 500,000) in the country. This year it was upgraded to #1 safest. I don't know what they base that on. Murder rate perhaps? Because petty crimes and gang related activity has been rising for the last few years. But we haven't had any recent spikes that I'm aware of.

#17 ·
I don't know if crimes up, but the homeless sure are.

It use to be the standard 'talk to him/herself' crazy. Now it's more and more people carrying real items and trying to live on the street. They are also showering in the public restrooms of the Starbucks I frequent.

So...the homeless (you know who you are and are probably reading this), that come into my Starbucks, to shower and use your laptops and free internet....WIPE YOUR WATER UP. Seriously...!

Sign of the times I guess.

*I live downtown in a major city so homeless are just members of the community that live outside.

#19 ·
Around here break ins are becoming common, no higher rate of armed robberies, but assaults/domestic violence is up quite a bit. tensions over more money problems maybe?

We have a pack of kids from another neighborhood block pass through on their way to
the park at the end of our street. Usually it has been about 3 to 6 of them. In the past they just walked over there and never a problem. 3 years no trouble at all, just kids going to play ball. the group this year numbers 5 to 13, and promises to be trouble.
all over peoples lawns, playing with mailboxes, plants in planters, deliberately throwing their basketball on the lawns up by the houses, running between cars up our drives and "in your face" about it if you ask them to use the walks/street: doing little provocative things just out of feeling big and strong from being in a group. These are boys from around age 11 to 15, maybe one or two a bit older. I worry this summer will not end well if something doesn't show them the light. They may provoke way more than they suspect. I have a couple of neighbors who are really hot at them already.

#20 ·
Yes. Reports from local gun stores is that AR platforms are flying off the shelves. Even with a high unemployment rate. Frankly, I expected to catch some bargains by this time post election. Nope.
We are seeing gang related daylight store robberies.
The monitoring systems in place are wholely inadequate. High mounted cameras can't ID hoodie-clad robbers. Exterior cams are the only apparent easily (relatively speaking) available after-the -fact item. License plates and vehicle types.
Won't prevent a thing. At least I don't think so.
It's bad, folks. States, counties and towns are not getting the tax money they might need to keep LE running around in any number-let alone incarceration facilities.
Bear in mind that several large PD's (Oakland comes to mind) are outright saying you're on your own on many crime issues.
Rethink what you're doing and how you do it.

#21 ·
In my small town and surrounding environs, theft and crimes of opportunity are up, vandalism is about the same (damn kids and spray paint), drug dealing is down (especially since the police finally put the kibosh on our local drug 'lord'), and crimes of violence are REALLY up. The latter is most disturbing because it's not stranger violence, it's friends and neighbors and people living together beating each others' brains in. I suspect economic stress... :(

#22 ·
Houston crime is up expecually in my area on the east side. We have had a rash of home invasions with 3 or 4 guys with gun kicking in your door around 9pm. I have had two in my apartment building already. I negate this by walking to and from my car openly carrying my 1911 and keep it on the coffee table and next to the bed i have my ar 15.
Some of the idiots doing home invasion are wearing old body armor.
I got with several of my neighbors who did not own guns got them to buy at least one each then spent time teaching them at the range. The crime in the apartment complex slowed.

#24 ·
Officially the police reports show that crime in our area is down. Reports of theft, robbery and assaults all show a decline.

The reality is that unless someone gets hurt bad enough where they have to seek medical treatment, the crime often goes unreported.

I know quite a few people (myself included) that have had their cars broken into, bikes stolen or sheds broken into that haven't even bothered to call the police.

If you do try to report a crime you're referred to their website where you can fill out a report and be ignored by a computer rather then a real person. :rolleyes:

#25 ·
I live in central Illinois. There isn't a day that goes by when the news reports somebody being shot or killed in the badder areas of our city. Every single day somebody is shot or killed. Robberies are common here but more generally in the ghetto areas. Home invasions have increased in the richer areas of our city as have home invasions where the assailant is unknown to the homeowner. And if you deal drugs, you're almost guaranteed "a midnight visit by the boys from the hood." And no matter what happens, they always say that crime is down. They've just got to tamper with the numbers to make their lies easier to swallow.

#26 ·
I check the police logs everynight for two different papers in my area. I guess crime is up but i'm not certain. I do know that pretty much every other crime I see done in my area has to do with meth. It's sad and frusterating(sp?), i'm just glad I have a iwb holster coming my way in a few weeks.

#28 ·
I grew up well out of town and one of the upsides of that was no one ever messed with our stuff.

Now it seams that unless you have a pack of dogs and an owner standing on the porch with a gun no place is safe.....

#29 ·
Crime stats down around here

No, in fact crime is down around here. I think it's because we are very rural and people around here tend to look after one another. I don't necessarily mean like neighborhood watch, though we do watch for eachother that way too. I mean like helping eachother to be sustainable, realizing what happens to one of us happens to all of us. Eventually things may change, especially if outsiders ("raiders") come here looking. But there's only a couple roads into the area and if outsiders became a problem and society had broken down, as a community I expect we'd drop some giant trees, maybe take out a couple bridges, and we'd be well isolated except for foot travel. Around here, it's essentially understood that we are all on "the list." Sure there is some "me and mine" type survivalists around here who have their own private lists, that's their choice. They can live like that is they feel it's necessary. No doubt in other areas of the country it will be entirely necessary.

ANd frankly I'm surprised that crime is down here. The Sheriffs Dept is so cut back that some areas are not patrolled at all, and there is zero patrol at night now. I have been nervous about crime, and after 20 + years living here, we just in the past 18 months have started locking our doors. I actually had to find the keys, and cut dowels for sliding doors. Probably sounds kinda naive, but we are very friendly around here, and at the same time stocked and well armed.:D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.