Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was going to buy a shotgun for home defense and when SHTF and get a handgun for personal carry, but I decided to go with this...:D

This is a Kel-Tec SU-16 Bravo. Only 4.5lbs unloaded this gun is based on the M16 and the AK-47. The gun will accept all accessories that will fit the M16 and the firing mechanism is from the AK-47, simple and tough. The buttstock fold up for easy carrying in a car or backpack, and the stock holds 2 10 round mags or 1 20 or 30 round mag. I bought 2 30 rounders and it came with 2 10 rounders. It fires the standard .223 NATO round, and has a foldable bi-pod for better accuracy. This gun is made in the USA and I got a great deal on it at a local gun store. It has a 16" barrel and includes the M16 aperture site. I haven't shot it yet but I will post when I do.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Do let us know how it shoots...sounds like it has the best of both worlds for a bacpack rifle...what do they run BTW?

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
Stock up on 30 rnd mags. Green or Grey followers, look for USA manufacturers and only by new still in plastic. Gunshow's are a good source $15-20 each. Buy small quantities of ammuniton from different manufactures to see what works best. One more thing if the barrel is stamped ".223 rem" Do not use ammunition that is "5.56" (Military surplus or Mil Spec) If it is stamped 5.56 you can use either one.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I think that Kel-Tec makes some very good, innovative firearms. I bought a little 9mm pistol about 4 years ago. My first 'plastic' pistol. Simple, safe, and goes bang every time. That price certainly seems right! Nice piece. Great warranty too.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
My understanding is that regardless of the stamp, the SU16 is rated for 5.56. Check with Kel-Tec to verify, if it is stamped 223, if you want to use 5.56.
Stock up on 30 rnd mags. Green or Grey followers, look for USA manufacturers and only by new still in plastic. Gunshow's are a good source $15-20 each. Buy small quantities of ammuniton from different manufactures to see what works best. One more thing if the barrel is stamped ".223 rem" Do not use ammunition that is "5.56" (Military surplus or Mil Spec) If it is stamped 5.56 you can use either one.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
My understanding is that regardless of the stamp, the SU16 is rated for 5.56. Check with Kel-Tec to verify, if it is stamped 223, if you want to use 5.56.
I had a mini-14, it was stamped .223 rem. I got a deal on surplus 5.56 SS109 (Lake City). The mini shot it. But I had stuck cases, and some the rim of the case tore off and left the rest stuck in the chamber. Also the handle that you use to work the action broke. I bought a new part and replaced it and it seemed to work fine. When I bought my M-4 I read the instruction manual and that is where I found out that there is a difference between 5.56 and .223. My M-4 is stamped 5.56 and I have shot both rounds through it without the same problems. My two cents.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I realize the difference between the rounds. As I said my understanding is the the SU16 is made to handle the pressures of 5.56.
I had a mini-14, it was stamped .223 rem. I got a deal on surplus 5.56 SS109 (Lake City). The mini shot it. But I had stuck cases, and some the rim of the case tore off and left the rest stuck in the chamber. Also the handle that you use to work the action broke. I bought a new part and replaced it and it seemed to work fine. When I bought my M-4 I read the instruction manual and that is where I found out that there is a difference between 5.56 and .223. My M-4 is stamped 5.56 and I have shot both rounds through it without the same problems. My two cents.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I realize the difference between the rounds. As I said my understanding is the the SU16 is made to handle the pressures of 5.56.
I went to the Kel-tec website. As far as I can tell it is rated for 5.56. I was just adding my two cents/personal experierince and not trying to challenge you.

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the kind words, I took a chance and I have a very nice gun, I have read only good things about these. These are VERY sturdy and reliable. I only plan on shooting .223 Remington's through it, they're the best for it. I just took it out and did a little shooting and this thing is BADASS! I emptied a 10 round clip within 3 seconds. Very little recoil, not real loud, and SUPER lightweight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts