Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a CFP 90 off of Ebay for $50. Luckily the guy was local so I didn't have to pay shipping! I have been looking for one for a while, and I have to say I am very pleased with the one I got. I appears to be flawless!

So now that I have one does anyone have any tips for adjusting the suspension to fit me?

Also, I know these have a few design flaws. How do you guys that like these packs overcome the black plastic triangle breaking? I don't see it being an issue right away, but just want to have the pieces needed just in case this does happen.

Thanks for any help!

Vic

·
Proverbs 22:3
897 Posts
Adjust the straps in the back where you are comfortable with them, then drill the adjustment plate and the black rails and "sew" in place with thin wire. Otherwise, the plate will pull out from the rails at a really BAD time.
That is what I had to do with my issue packs.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
People talk lots of crap about the CFP-90, but I've found it to be wonderfully constructed. I've used and abused that thing for 8 months straight and the plastic V doesn't show any sign of wear at all. I guess I haven't used it enough. I suspect, though, that like any other piece of gear, it will last a long time with proper maintanence.

It's a very heavy bag, but it's also an extremely tough bag. I hope you got the GI version and not the imported knockoff. You can tell by searching for a little green patch with an NSN number on it. If you have that, you've got the good kind.

There are 7 adjustment points. I just played around with mine while hiking with various loads to figure out where I liked mine set. You should do the same! Get out there and use that bad boy!

Some days, I really wish the CFP-90 was lighter, Then I start blazing trails through thorny undergrowth and quickly fall in love with it again. :thumb:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys! It is an issue pack. I was careful to make sure of that. I picked it up so I got to meet the previous person in person. He said it has been in storage for 9 years! I think I got a gem!

Any way. I have been thinking about this for a few days now. I intend on using this as my primary bug out bag and don't want to risk the plastic y piece breaking in the field. My thought is that I will use it for a while until I figure out where I want the shoulder straps then see if I can get the guys at the Tactical Tailor (they are local too) to sew the shoulder straps into the pack once I have decided where I want them.

I have considered trying to find spare parts and keeping them on hand. If anyone has other solutions I would love to hear them.

Thanks
Vic

·
Passed away March 22, 2011
1,298 Posts
There was somewhere else on this forum, someone had the idea of replacing the plastic triangle with a metal one, stainless or aluminium, having slots where the straps would normally sewn on to the triangle and stitching the straps back on themselves after feeding them through the slots.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought a CFP-90 as well for my primary BOB. I also bought the Army 4 part sleeping system with compression bag and that fits perfectly in the lower compartment for sleeping bags. Everybody in my group bought it and we are using the patrol pack that attaches to the outside as our primary medical bag as well so all the other pockets can be used for other things. I bought online at a surplus store http://www.gr8gear.com the CATOMA Stealth 1 Woodland Camo Combat Shelter , GI Issue, New, as my tent. It is perfect size with 2 doors (one on each side) and fits one. I found it at this site and had it shipped. I opened it and set it up and it fits perfectly and very pleased. (just thought I would add some ideas that I used with my pack.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
I just bought a CFP 90 off of Ebay for $50. Luckily the guy was local so I didn't have to pay shipping! I have been looking for one for a while, and I have to say I am very pleased with the one I got. I appears to be flawless!

So now that I have one does anyone have any tips for adjusting the suspension to fit me?

Also, I know these have a few design flaws. How do you guys that like these packs overcome the black plastic triangle breaking? I don't see it being an issue right away, but just want to have the pieces needed just in case this does happen.

Thanks for any help!

Vic
That's a seriously nice score! :thumb:
I'll probably end up getting one myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts