Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one Bright little Flashlight.
Ebay number 150441557247

It uses one Li Ion 18650 battery. (I am using a Rechargeable Protected Li Ion battery in it)

I bought the USB charger for the battery, but I will also use my small home made tracking solar panel for charging the battery.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Use the flashlight to drive a 10 penny nail through a 2x4, let us know how it works out.

If the light works after that, I will buy one.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Use the flashlight to drive a 10 penny nail through a 2x4, let us know how it works out.

For some reason this reminds me of a quote from the movie Real Genius w/ Val Kilmer(young). His professors young GF asked him if he could do this w/ a certain body part.

Anyone remember???

Bueller?

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,961 Posts
How many lumens?

I'd accumulated a number of very bright LED flashlights, then came to the realization that they all use AAA batteries. I have AAA eneloops plus some normal alkaline AAAs, but have a ton of AA's too.

I found a nice bright LED last week that uses AAs. Thicker body, of course, but that thing is BRIGHT.

Menards has a sale tomorrow for two 180-lumen (that's BRIGHT) LED flashlights for $9.98 after rebate. That's a deal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought the newest maglite, the xl100, a couple of months ago. 200 hours on low with three AAA batteries. It's still made in USA too.
I like it so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just might add a link for the exact same BODY of flashlight with better emitter:

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...b-t6-5mode-led-flashlight-118650-black-p-7639

14$ + free shipping. Gives more light with wider spot. Not old R2 emitter, new XM-L. Has 5 modes.
Note: these P60 hosts have interchangeable LED emitter dropins, you can upgrade it later.

IF you do not own a hammer and for some reason want to use cheap & light China flashlights as one and still want it to function: http://www.solarforce-sales.com/

With those, you have a lot better chance.
They don´t cost much but they are surprisingly high quality.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
How long do batteries last in storage? Is there a certain type of battery that lasts longer than others? In SHTF that's a concern I would think

·
Registered
31 Posts
How long do batteries last in storage? Is there a certain type of battery that lasts longer than others? In SHTF that's a concern I would think
If you use rechargeable (AA for example) NiMh batteries, search for "Low Self Discharge" or "Ready To Use" -type of batteries. They gon´t self discharge nearly as fast than regulas NiMh´s.

If you use primary batteries, you should buy rather Lithium-based batteries than alkalines.

Lithium based ones have higher starting voltage, they can give more current (thus greater capacity in high-drain appliances), are lighter, can be stored some 15 years, DON´T LEAK and ruin your valuable electronics!

Energizer L91 is one of them, in AA format
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

If these are too expensive, some OEM Energizers in eBay are cheper. One seller only, I have tested them to be as good as those wrapped in Energizer plastic.

There is also a variety of CR123 size in known brands.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,003 Posts
Good!! A flashlight thread. Got one I think some of you may like.
REDLINE by Nebo. AT11C. It is loaded from a magnet in the end switch to blinding light it spits out.

100%-220 lumens- 150 yards- 4 hours
50%- 110 lumens- 65 yards- 6 hours
10%- 22 lumens- 30 yards- 15 hours
S.O.S & strobe flashing- 72 hours.

3 triple A's

I will try to find a link.

http://www.trinowfitness.com/en/Nebo-Redline.html/?src=pg

·
Explorer of Many Delights
205 Posts
Good!! A flashlight thread. Got one I think some of you may like.
REDLINE by Nebo. AT11C. It is loaded from a magnet in the end switch to blinding light it spits out.

100%-220 lumens- 150 yards- 4 hours
50%- 110 lumens- 65 yards- 6 hours
10%- 22 lumens- 30 yards- 15 hours
S.O.S & strobe flashing- 72 hours.

3 triple A's

I will try to find a link.

http://www.trinowfitness.com/en/Nebo-Redline.html/?src=pg
This seems to be a good light. I am buying one today. They have them on sales at local hardware store.

19.00 bux

21,494 Posts

If the light works after that, I will buy one.
I did do that with a crappy energizer once just to see if it was that hard.

(I dont know how big the nail was though I found it and I was drunk)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently got a 4Sevens Quark Mini AA2 for just under $40. It has 180 Lumens. Damn it's bright for a little flashlight.

My next flashlight is going to be the Fenix TK40 - uses 8AA batts and has 630 lumens. They can be had for around $90 if you shop around.

·
Get off my lawn!
1,835 Posts
For some reason this reminds me of a quote from the movie Real Genius w/ Val Kilmer(young). His professors young GF asked him if he could do this w/ a certain body part.

Anyone remember???

Bueller?
Yep, and then she said "A girl's gotta have her standards.":eek:

·
Everything in moderation
175 Posts
Does anyone know where to find a "beta" light? I read about them in Mr. Wisemans SAS Survival Handbook, but I haven't had any luck picking one up.

·
Breaking necks
280 Posts
Don't waste your time with AAA lights. AA has so much more capacity and you need less of them.

People underestimate how useful flashlights can be. Personally I have a Fenix LD20 and an LD10. On the low setting the LD20 can run for something like 100 hours on 2 AA batteries. (low mode is bright enough to be able to use as a lantern combined with the lantern tip). On the medium setting it is much brighter than any store bought flashlight and the battery will last for 10x as long. The LED should last longer than the torch. Also it's water proof. I also purchased a small solar panel off of ebay and made my own solar charger. Along with some Sanyo low discharge eneloops I've got reliable lighting for years.

Decent flashlights start at about $30 and for that I'd get a E21 from Fenix lights. There are very few in a local shops that even comes close to a quality LED light purchased online. They have inflated lumen ratings and their battery life is not even in the same league, and the LEDs will fail. Some good brands include Fenix, 4sevens, ultrafire and surefire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts