Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
ya its good to buy in bulk I usualy buy it by the case I get rem thunderbolts as the boxes are smaller and i can fit an even case vacume sealed in a .50 cal can

props:thumb:

Reactions: lunarkingdom

·
Banned
1,016 Posts

so squirrels within 250yrds dont stand a chance?:D:

seriously though, what is the penetration like on a .22 lr? Say, if a man or deer were shot at under 100yrds, say...
I wonder what usually happens...I know if it hits bone, that can change everything.
Just wondering what peoples experiences are with this

·
Registered
5,306 Posts

seriously though, what is the penetration like on a .22 lr? Say, if a man or deer were shot at under 100yrds, say...
I wonder what usually happens...I know if it hits bone, that can change everything.
I've killed deer with head shots at at least 60 yards with the .22 LR. I can't vouch for over 100 yards though.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
i get a kick out of reading these post about 22's. there is always someone saying something smart. i have taken many deer with a 22. the previous poster asked about a person at 100 yrds, would you want to stand there and experience it?
it wont penetrate armor, well why would you shoot armor, the hands,neck,face arent armored.
if i were at my bol and i new you were coming to do harm i would grab my 22 with a decent scope and believe me i will change your mind set about a 22.

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
My gaawwwd! I have thought about it but have never taken the step, Thats it a stock pile my friend. You better get replacement parts for those guns....Hey that brings me to a questions I have that maybe someone more knowledgeable than I. "How many rounds through let say a Marlin 795 or 10/22 before it will need major overhaul like a new barrel? Has their been any data collected on it?

I am also assuming that you will take several, several years to fire them all, so what would the best way be to keep them stored? A sealed can with nitrogen packs, desiccant, or something else. I have thought about taking mine from the flimsy box they come in and storing them in a more moisture safe environment.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

Go to the rifle forum and read the posts there. 300 yards through three layers of clothing and a dressed turkey:thumb: Kingfish

·
Registered
133 Posts
Very impressive! :)

I stock more .22LR than anything. If I needed a meal, it would likely be small game that could easily be taken with a .22. Deer is the largest game animal around here, I've never tried to take one with a .22 but apparently you can :)

.22 is also a nice training round. With two kids that are learning to shoot and me and my wife who need to stay brushed up on skills, I'd rather be burning .22 to do that rather than .308 .. If I were Bill Gates I might train more with .308

·
Registered
451 Posts
22lr grizzly.

When I was 11 years old my uncle and I watched his crazy moonshining buddy crawl through the tall grass with his single shot 22lr towards a boar grizzly. He spent 3 hours in the grass. Sometimes the bear grazing around him in a circle. Pretty intense. When the grizz was about 40 feet from him quartering away he fired. The bear bit his side and continued to graze. He crawled out of the grass and we went back 3 hours later. The bear was dead.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts