Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Right Hand Man
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Remington 870 Express Tactical
Haven't shot it yet but excited to do so! I've been researching the available modifications to this gun and there's lots of things you can do to it. However, so far the only thing I think would add any tactical functionality to the gun would be buying a few different choke tubes.

Other mods are the folding or collapsible stock with pistol grip, Side saddle, upgrading some of the internals, red dot, etc..etc. Being primary a SHTF, or HD gun I can't see how any of the above would add much tactical elements to the gun to make it worth spending the money. Seems like choke tubes are the only thing that would really add any versatility to this gun, but I may be wrong..Any opinions???

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
How about a light? Turns a 16 hour gun into a 24 hour one. Hard to be "tactical" if you can't see the target.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
How about a light? Turns a 16 hour gun into a 24 hour one. Hard to be "tactical" if you can't see the target.
I agree and thought I'd post here rather than starting a new thread. I also recently bought a new 870 tactical and am looking for the best option to mount a light. Other than that, I threw on a 6 shell sidesaddle and that pretty much covers everything I'm going to do to it. It seems pretty functional right out of the box.
I built an 1100 a few months ago with short barrel, sidesaddle, red dot and flashlight mount, and pistol grip stock...not sure the stock is really an advantage at all though I thought it would be for me because I spend alot of time with a few of those evil black rifles and thought it would feel more "natural"...can't honestly say it's any more or less comfortable than the stock 870 stock...so I'll probably save the money on this one and buy more ammo.:D:

edit...sorry, reread my post and bolded my question so everyone knew wtf I was actually asking!;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a older 870P I bought in the late 90's the only thing i have added is a butt stock shell carrier. Every Thing else seemed cumbersome to me and took away from the quick handling of the 18" barrel.
Although a light would be nice in a home defense situation, just haven't found a mount that I like yet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have an 870 Wingmaster pump. I would not change a thing on that gun. It s spot on with only the factory Iron sights. And it is a beautiful gun....

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
I've picked up two in the last 13 months. Had one years ago but gave it away when I moved. (Stupid me -- but the new owner was happy.

I was in the market for a Remington bolt gun. I'm going to hold off on any Remington products . . . . until they move to a Pro-Chocie state. (You know, the states where you can choose to own a firearm if you wish.)

·
Outdoor Life is Good
544 Posts
my 870 express supermag should be ready for pickup in a few days, synthetic with 26in barrel. i wanted a wood stock, but they seem to be in short supply suddenly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Surefire has the front pump grip with a built in flashlight for like 200 bucks I believe... Then it will be compact and smooth when it's all in one unit.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,649 Posts
I do like Ghost-rings. They put them all the car shotguns about a year before I retired. I didn't like the stocks with the ammo carrier built in.

·
Survived Panic Buy Dec'12
535 Posts
Got a plain jane 870. Nothing like laminated wood on an 870. Mine is starting to darken up from age, just the way I like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts