Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that a lot of money seems to be spent on entitlements recently (welfare/housing/food stamps/ etc.). I am the type of person who refuses to take handouts like this unless I am starving to death, and even then it would be a struggle to get myself to do so. I know people who are getting paid close to $400 weekly for getting fired from a job and deciding not to look for another job because it is easier to sit back and collect the money than working. With this income, many low paying jobs would bring in less money per week than that. It gives no motivation for people to get back to work.

I'm not an economist, but was thinking that it would be a good idea to pass legislation that makes it mandatory for all entitlements get paid back. Whether it could be considered a limited interest free, or interest-bearing loan. Have it be paid back by taking a percentage out of paychecks when people finally do get back to work.

Would something like this make any dent in the budget problems our nation faces?

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
I think it would be great. It will never happen though. If all the money that was handed out in entitlements was paid back, ie food stamps, unemployment, housing, some welfare, etc, etc, it would probably put America back in the black. Even if a decent percentage was paid back it would make a huge difference

·
www.chemflame.com
1,174 Posts
If your talking about the $400/weekly is unemployment benefits, that is already paid by you. It gets taken out of your paycheck along with SS. Once unemployment runs out, they don't get it again until they have had a job for so long.

As far as welfare, housing and food stamps, if they had to pay it back, they would even less likely look for a job. Why look for a job and pay it back when they are already getting money for nothing. It would be better to put them to work before they could get their money. Like picking up trash on the side or something similar.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Unemployment was originally funded by employers paying unemployment taxes. It has morphed into an animal that neither the employer nor the government can afford.
I'm not sure what the rate is now, but there is only one company in Texas that provides coverage. Oh, it's cheap too. About 20 cents for every dollar of payroll. That number is several years old. It's more than likely higher.
I should state that rates are also dependent on the type of business.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Unemployment was originally funded by employers paying unemployment taxes. It has morphed into an animal that neither the employer nor the government can afford.
I'm not sure what the rate is now, but there is only one company in Texas that provides coverage. Oh, it's cheap too. About 20 cents for every dollar of payroll. That number is several years old. It's more than likely higher.
I should state that rates are also dependent on the type of business.
The fund will go into the red, but then all employers of the state will have a surcharge added to their rate until the state account is back in the black.

So all employers will eventually have to pay for one failed industry via higher unemployment taxes.

Employers will be paying for this 99 week extension for a long time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your talking about the $400/weekly is unemployment benefits, that is already paid by you. It gets taken out of your paycheck along with SS. Once unemployment runs out, they don't get it again until they have had a job for so long.

As far as welfare, housing and food stamps, if they had to pay it back, they would even less likely look for a job. Why look for a job and pay it back when they are already getting money for nothing. It would be better to put them to work before they could get their money. Like picking up trash on the side or something similar.
Good point, I think what I heard from them is that the employer pays part of what they were getting and the government pays another portion of it. I think they are on a combination of both unemployment and food stamps, etc. No housing at this point.

As for staying on it instead of looking for a job, financially it would make sense to put a limit on the amount of time they can stay on it.... but once again, that is something that would not happen in our current state of affairs.

·
coffee enthusiast
218 Posts
What about this option? MANDATORY drug testing for all unemployment and welfare recipients. If you refuse, your ass doesn't get our hard earned tax money. If you fail, your ass doesn't get our hard earned tax money. Plain and simple.

Government employees get drug tests, why not people sponging off our taxes???

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I'd love it if they made it mandatory that anyone receiving welfare benefits have to do some work - preferably community service type activities - picking up trash, mowing, serving meals at a shelter, etc. And someone who's on unemployment would probably find it much easier to find a job if they had to work to get their unemployment (no incentive to just sit around the house and do nothing).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I say make them put in an honest days work and if you dont like it, stop asking for welfare! I see people in jumpsuits on the side of the road cleaning up trash, how is this any different? If your broke, life should'nt be a party...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd love it if they made it mandatory that anyone receiving welfare benefits have to do some work - preferably community service type activities - picking up trash, mowing, serving meals at a shelter, etc. And someone who's on unemployment would probably find it much easier to find a job if they had to work to get their unemployment (no incentive to just sit around the house and do nothing).
Oh no then those experienced crooks would just "get hurt" on purpose doing a simple job and collect even more from disability.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I've said it before:

In NorCal, we have farmers hiring illegal aliens to pick crops.

And we have people on the dole, living less than a 20 minute walk from some of these fields, sleeping until noon every day.

Is it just me, or do we seem to have a simple solution here?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts