Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'll be learning more about this after Christmas when we're set to get together, BUT.......
One of our BEST friends is (virtually) in control of our regional power grid, with :taped: power company.
I recently got around to telling his wife how I was making plans surrounding the prospect of a blackout anytime soon,
and she just about freaked ! Huh ?
Well, her hubby at the power company has been working big-time overtime because the number of people they have, who are actually qualified to do his job (keeping the grid from going down) is extremely limited, AND each time the temps plummet,
we're about (-) that far from rolling blackouts (or worse) around these parts. :eek:
Frankly, I've just never given the power load much thought in the wintertime (summers, sure)
but it seems they're really struggling to keep our power running this year !!
After Christmas, we'll be meeting with them over a good bottle of wine to discuss buying a generator, etc.
so I might get a better understanding of the territory of which he speaks.
Stock up on firewood and flashlights, NTX'ns !! :xeye:

Gee, such a bearer of good news, eh ? sigh

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Generator ? Hummm, with gas prices going back up.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
You know, if everyone learns to can food, you would only need a small fridge/freezer combo, like a RV would have. That will power just fine with a small Solar panel system.

As for lighting, learn to go to bed early.

Also, a secondary small solar panel system will more than run a few hours of TV and PC use. This would limit the time on the internet, and watching TV so we would be forced to focus our time on our families, and maybe even work out more.

·
U.S.M.C. 86-90
21 Posts
Also, a secondary small solar panel system will more than run a few hours of TV and PC use. This would limit the time on the internet, and watching TV so we would be forced to focus our time on our families, and maybe even work out more.
Any idea where you could get the solar panel to power a tv or pc?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
We (our whole town ) got notices of warnings of the possibility of "rolling blackouts" this winter. In this months electric bills.
Why now you ask . The reason is the extra charges last winter for using the towns generators were not put into maintance as was written into the charter of the electric dept.
So now when the main grid feed fails (which is common here) our tired old generators won't be able to keep up with the needs of the town.
Thank God we have our own system. But we are among the few.
A lot of folks I know live in all electric homes. Tried to talk with them but hell you know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts