Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, you get all these 1964 and prior quarters we will say. You keep them for say 20 years or more. Some big Event comes along, like in some books and junk silver is used again as currency.
I dont know about junk silver being a Currency again.
In those far off times a bargin or trade imo works better. And before any currency may come back there would be a Starving time, many could die of hunger, be burned out, or be attacked.
So in essence.. is Junk Silver worth really holding or hoarding onto? And why do you think that?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I think that because PM's have been used from literally pre writing until right now. Through wars, famen, flood etc....

Odds are EXTREMELY LOW that's going to change tomorrow!

Anyone who thinks trade is better has never had one thing he wanted to trade for another specific thing.
(I'd much rather walk over to bardertown with a pocket full of quarters and dimes than a wagon load of every possible shoe size.... Assuming someone is looking for shoes in exchange for what I want!. Etc)

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
The way I see it during shtf events junk silver will often be used to make up relatively small price or value differences in things being bartered. Gold on the other hand will be used for high value purchases or barter exchanges.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it does not cost too much to have some junk silver on hand just in case
depending on the situation, junk silver may be worthless, or maybe not.
Any suggestions on what some equals?
1/2LB, 4LB, 50LB..

Going through all my change last few years its hard to locate even a few pounds quickly.. i may have found 1 coin..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imagine that!! Select Nickels have.. Silver! WW2 "war nickels" bear large mintmarks of “S”, “D” or “P” above the dome of Monticello on the reverse.*
1942-45 Nickels with the mintmarks have roughly 35% silver.

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,703 Posts
1/2LB, 4LB, 50LB..

Going through all my change last few years its hard to locate even a few pounds quickly.. i may have found 1 coin..
with silver prices dropping, you could get a good it now. I would think your budget would dictate how much you stock.
face value i may have about $100.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Always remember this, if nothing else, about precious metals: gold is worth what gold is worth. Don't give a rip what a dollar buys or the inflation rate or the value of the yen or any other exchange rate. Every other thing of worth in the world can be measured in its value against gold. When we see the market say that "gold is up", what you must realize that in actuality the dollar (or whatever other currency) actually is worth a little less. Silver is always a function, a percentage, of gold. Some traders profit on the variations of that percentage- the gold/silver ratio. When an ounce of gold buys 'many' ounces of silver, they sell gold and buy silver. When an ounce AU buys 'few' ounces AG they trade back to gold.

SCPigpen: Silver in any form has never and will never be worthless.

Second thing to remember about gold and silver: neither will ever be worth zero.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
Attached are my thoughts on silver and gold, barter and trade, and some worksheets that may help people make decisions, either way.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

(I have redone this fairly recently, so even old-timers might see something new.

Everything is just my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
As a hobbyist, I accumulated over 1,000 silver halves and dimes between the years 2009-2014, for face value, via coin roll hunting. I had a great, efficient hunting method that took up little time. Really miss it sometimes. If you think it can’t be done today, think again.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
1/2LB, 4LB, 50LB..

10$ face flue of coins is around 7.16 ounce of silver if that's what you are asking. Give or take depending on the condition.

If you are looking for a better way to aquire junk silver coins, it is way more efficient to look through the Apmex site with your credit card than searching your accumulated loose change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Junk silver isn't collected so it can be used as a "currency", but more for the silver content. I mean they are currency and are used daily. Most people don't know or think about the silver content of older coins and if they see an old quarter they treat it as a quarter. They will generally spend their old(junk) coins without knowing the silver content makes it worth about $3.00(as of today). So the melt value is much better then face value with pre 65 coins(except pennies and nickels). A lot of folks, myself included sort their change, look through coin rolls and buy (when there is a good sell) old coins and hoard/collect them for.......whatever , big price increase, SHTF, dollar devaluation etc. I also invest in silver, gold and platinum bullion. There are some old coins out there worth way more then face value or melt value, but now you are talking about numismatic value and that is a whole other conversation. I started collecting PMs a long time ago and started with junk coins.
So with "hoarding" or stock piling of anything there will be experts out there who will tell you not to hoard this or that. Do what you feel is right for you and your situation. Just do the research and exercise some due diligence when it comes to investing in anything, even for SHTF stockpiles. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
1/2LB, 4LB, 50LB..

Here's a couple sites you may want to check out. The first one is a calculator that you put in what type of coin & how many & it will tell you what the silver weight is & what the current melt value is.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

http://cointrackers.com/

https://www.pmbug.com/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pm's are commodities, just like wheat, rice, beef, etc. As such they change in relation to fiat currencies, but not appreciably to each other. If an ounce of silver would buy 4 chickens 2000 years ago, it still will.

I much prefer junk silver over silver rounds or bars. Both are being counterfeited, where junk silver isn't worth the conterfeiter's time. In a SHTF time, being able to tell counterfeit from real won't be common, but junk silver wouldn't be questioned.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,338 Posts
Okay so, you get all these 1964 and prior quarters we will say. You keep them for say 20 years or more. Some big Event comes along, like in some books and junk silver is used again as currency.
I dont know about junk silver being a Currency again.
In those far off times a bargin or trade imo works better. And before any currency may come back there would be a Starving time, many could die of hunger, be burned out, or be attacked.
So in essence.. is Junk Silver worth really holding or hoarding onto? And why do you think that?
Because they will be the easiest to identify as 90% silver. IMO given a equal weight of silver one in the form of 90% silver coins and the other any other form the junk silver coins will be the first to be trusted.

Therefore either the junk silver coins will trade at a premium or other at a discount. My guess is 90% silver coins will be equal to 100% silver in other forms.

IMO no way to prove it.

·
Libertarian
2,771 Posts
Pm's are commodities, just like wheat, rice, beef, etc. As such they change in relation to fiat currencies, but not appreciably to each other. If an ounce of silver would buy 4 chickens 2000 years ago, it still will.

I much prefer junk silver over silver rounds or bars. Both are being counterfeited, where junk silver isn't worth the conterfeiter's time. In a SHTF time, being able to tell counterfeit from real won't be common, but junk silver wouldn't be questioned.
Sunshine Mines silver bars and rounds have the S.I. security feature on the reverse. When silver goes up a lot and crooks are making fake bars and rounds you'll be able to tell the Sunshine round or bar is legit.:)

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
When SHTF I will probably have to start butchering my cattle for my own food. One head of beef is more than my group can consume in a short time period. Even preserving the whole steer is a lot of work. I'd be better off trading some of the beef for something of value. Others have argued they will barter items instead of using PMs. But I'm well stocked. I don't need any of your moldy coffee. Or your .22 rounds. Or another Mosin Nagant. Or want to spend a night with your toothless wife or daughter. I want something in return that is nonperishable. I will accept PMs for my beef.

Compared to al the other preps a person might make investing $500 or $1000 in some junk silver is a small amount of most peoples overall prepping budget. Silver is low right now and it's a great time to add some. Even for those who aren't completely sold on the PM idea.

·
Golden Cockroach
498 Posts
Junk silver isn't collected so it can be used as a "currency", but more for the silver content. ...
As far as form is concerned, 90% "junk"silver is great because it's already been cast in a durable coin with known weight (silver content) that enjoys govco protection from counterfeiting. What's not to like (if you like silver)?

1 - 20 of 160 Posts