Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is currently working at a local bank and sees large amounts of change each day. Her manager said he doesn't care if she trades out coins for "collectible coins" she finds as long as the drawer totals out as it is supposed to at the end of the day. So I stuck a couple rolls of quarters, dimes, halves, and dollars in her purse and gave her a quick rundown of silver hunting. She brought me 6 quarters a couple dimes and a half dollar in the first 3 days. Looks like my stash is gonna grow pretty quickly now for way under spot as long as I get them for face value.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I am surprised to hear that there is that much pre 65 silver running around in circulation still.

Let us know how it keeps going or if you just got lucky. I'm gotten 4 or 5 silver coins from circulation and several from the bank checking rolls.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't a bunch around but she handles huge quantities of change every day so that gives her a little better odds than most.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I mentioned she might keep quiet about it around work. She knows the ballpark value but she knows my stash will be "our stash" before too long so she doesn't mind.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,519 Posts
I am surprised to hear that there is that much pre 65 silver running around in circulation still.

Let us know how it keeps going or if you just got lucky. I'm gotten 4 or 5 silver coins from circulation and several from the bank checking rolls.
It's pretty rare for those of us out in the world. A few months back I sorted through over $900 in change. I found one single silver dime. It's totally not worth it anymore unless you find a gimmick. I saw a video of a guy that was making good on silver dollars from the bank. And having an insider is always a good thing. But it's so not worth sorting change anymore.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's pretty rare for those of us out in the world. A few months back I sorted through over $900 in change. I found one single silver dime. It's totally not worth it anymore unless you find a gimmick. I saw a video of a guy that was making good on silver dollars from the bank. And having an insider is always a good thing. But it's so not worth sorting change anymore.
You searched $900! I've searched over $100,000 in five years. Ha ha you're right, it's not worth it. It's cheaper to buy silver out right. But, if you search rolls you'll find silver. I have thousands of silvers under my belt.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
My girlfriend is currently working at a local bank and sees large amounts of change each day. Her manager said he doesn't care if she trades out coins for "collectible coins" she finds as long as the drawer totals out as it is supposed to at the end of the day. So I stuck a couple rolls of quarters, dimes, halves, and dollars in her purse and gave her a quick rundown of silver hunting. She brought me 6 quarters a couple dimes and a half dollar in the first 3 days. Looks like my stash is gonna grow pretty quickly now for way under spot as long as I get them for face value.
You need to marry that girl.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You searched $900! I've searched over $100,000 in five years. Ha ha you're right, it's not worth it. It's cheaper to buy silver out right. But, if you search rolls you'll find silver. I have thousands of silvers under my belt.
It's not worth it to most people unless you have the time and money to do it on a large scale.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's not worth it to most people unless you have the time and money to do it on a large scale.
I can search $500 in halves in ten minutes. $1,000 in dimes in about two hours taking my time. That includes re-rolling. I can search and re-roll a roll of dimes in under 10 seconds. Using the same $1,000 bank roll several times per month.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
What coins have you had the best luck with?
Dimes. The most consistant find. My average is 1/$150 since 2009. Doesn't sound like much but I can easily get $4K-$5k in dimes per month between 2-4 banks. Halves were good up until about 2010 when roll hunting mania hit. I found close to 1,000 40% silver halves and I wasn't a hardcore hunter, between 2009-2012 and sold them for almost $4 each.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts