Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A neighbor stopped by the other day with a true Junk Rifle, and asked if I could fix it. The gun was an older Marlin 336 in 30-30, and some clown had plugged the barrel, and then shot it.
The barrel obstruction had left a bulge in the last 1/2" of the barrel, but had not cause any longitudinal cracks.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid Wood Natural material

The action had remained solid, so I decided to try. Cut 1.5" off the 20" barrel, and then shortend the mag tube, and spring. I remounted the barrel band as far back as I could, but this did not leave me with much room for a front sight ramp, so I decided to cut a dovetail notch into the barrel, and mount a tall front sight directly on the barrel.
Wood Metal Tool Gun accessory Titanium

Figguring the correct front sight requires test firing, so I made sure the sight I installed was a little shorter from centerline, than the rear sight, and tomorriw I will test it.
Air gun Trigger Grey Wood Gun barrel

A Marlin 336 with a 18.5" barrel is pretty handy. If this thing shoots, I might see what this Junk is worth.

·
What hell, pay attention
9,241 Posts
Dont listen to them. Ill hold your beer. :)

Sounds like a fun project. Any pics?

As far as the front sight height, XS sights used to give you a sacrificial plastic "sight" that was just a tall post that slid into the dovetail that you could trim down as you shot to get the right height so you could adjust your real sight. Maybe try something like that first?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont listen to them. Ill hold your beer. :)

Sounds like a fun project. Any pics?

As far as the front sight height, XS sights used to give you a sacrificial plastic "sight" that was just a tall post that slid into the dovetail that you could trim down as you shot to get the right height so you could adjust your real sight. Maybe try something like that first?
I have a tool box full of front sight blades. Phisics suggests the front sight blade should be slightly shorter than the rear sight, to point the bore slightly up.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If it gives you any issue, you might just toss a new barrel on it. $70 is not a lot of an investment in that gun.

So are you sure the issue was not a squib load followed by an second shot? I have seen that a good bit with some very spectacular failures. In that case there could be rifling damage or stresses down the barrel.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
If it gives you any issue, you might just toss a new barrel on it. $70 is not a lot of an investment in that gun.

So are you sure the issue was not a squib load followed by an second shot? I have seen that a good bit with some very spectacular failures. In that case there could be rifling damage or stresses down the barrel.
I'd bet a case of MRE's it was a squib load and the genius just shot another round. Personally, I would replace the barrel, it may not fail for 100 rounds but failure can be life changing/ending.

·
What hell, pay attention
9,241 Posts
I would think you could just mic the old sight from the barrel side of the ramp to the top of the sight blade and youd be real close for the height you'd need. I doubt that the barrel being an inch and a half shorter would make a lot of difference.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would think you could just mic the old sight from the barrel side of the ramp to the top of the sight blade and youd be real close for the height you'd need. I doubt that the barrel being an inch and a half shorter would make a lot of difference.
The pressure from shooting the plugged barrel blew the front ramp (including original sight) off the barrel. You can see the two broken mounting screws in the top picture. It looks like these screw holes had been drilled too deep, and the pressure pushed through the thread.

But if I did have the front sight, I would install a matching one, then make final adjustments using the rear sight.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
You can use the Brownells sight calculator to figure the height needed for the front sight. It says the sights need to be the same height from the bore centerline. At least for a rifle. On a handgun most front sights are taller than the rear sight. You can see this by setting a handgun upside down on the sights.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
old gunsel
591 Posts
A friend found a Savage that had been treated badly,
actually in much the same manner… but a 7MM Mag
makes a barrel split so it looks more like the bottom
stalk and leaves of a tulip. We ordered a barrel and
now he has a 458. I think he uses it on prairie dogs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
by the way, WAY TO GO!!!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I test the Marlin this morning. Shoots safe and no pressure signs. Had to move the rear sight to correct POI, and it is only modest accurate. But with my old eyes, every gun with open sights is only modest accurate. If I were keeping it, I would install an aperature sight or a scope.

Job complete. (Who has my beer?)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts