Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here....first time question....

I have two pairs of broken in jungle boots, is it possible to "winterize" one pair?

Don't have the cash for a standard combat boot right now.

Slàinte mhath
-Rob

·
Registered
402 Posts
I figure you could spray some water repellent or try sno-seal. See if boots fit with two pairs of socks. Not too much you can really do since they are made for hot climates.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you really cant spend "any money" on a pair of winter boots,.....dab some silicone over the drains in the sides. Put on a really thick pair of wool socks. Next put each one of you feet into a bread bag or plastic grocery bag and put the boots on. BAM! waterproof boots. The water will seep through the nylon on the boots but the bags will stop it. If you have some snowseal or camp dry throw that on em too. Hope I helped you out.:thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to scotch-guard the upper canvas parts, then go ape with hubbards not the oil the greasy stuff, and reapply as needed and or a 2nd layer of scotch-guard over the wax.

Though looking around i found some surplus ISSUED Austrian boots: 30 bucks plus shipping.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=38137

And a pair of magnum insoles and I think I'll be good.

-Rob

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
I don't think you can really waterproof canvas jungle boots with drain holes in the bottom.

Maybe get some old wine corks and wittle them down to tiny wine corks and use them to plug the grommets?

·
V
21,713 Posts
WOW Rob they look heavy. Personaly I'd spend the extra $10 and get a pair of magnums or the extra $20-£30 and get a pair of Danners, Matterhorn's or Truetimber. A good pair of boots will not only make life alot more comfortable but will last alot longer than "winterized" jungle boots, IMHO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rob, as an avid tinkerer/modder I have a tear of admiration for you in my eyes as I write this, however I don't think that using jungles as an all-season boot is the best solution.

With the phasing out of the black boots for all US services, you'll find some awesome deals on surplus temperate boots. It just so happens that the most recent temperate boot, the ICB (Infantry Combat Boot), is goretex lined. I know these boots well, because they are what I use. I also know that when I was overseas, I was able to pick up a few pairs of brand new black Wellco and Belleville ICBs for under US$80 shipped airmail to a place that is hotter than here (no, not the desert). Stateside you'd be looking at under $50 shipped for a brand new pair.

Run a search on ebay for "ICB", "Infantry Combat Boot", "Wellco", "Bates" or "Belleville" and look at their surplus listings. You'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the prices you see. The tan "ACU" boots are the same, but you'll pay extra for them because they are current cool-guy gear.

So how do the ICBs go out in the booneys? Very well. They are not quite as tough as the Caddilacs or jungles, but they are 100 times more comfortable and they are fully waterproof. I have been wearing a pair of ICBs for over two years now - daily wear - and the only problem I have found is that the sole is wearing. I have used them in desert, temperate, tropical jungle and concrete jungle. All with zero failures.

Go for the surplus US issue ICBs.

Smudge has some good ideas for boots above - Danners, Matterhorns, etc. But STAY AWAY from Hi-tec Magnums. They are nowhere near as tough as they used to be since they moved manufacturing to china and they WILL FAIL ON YOU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually check out the thrift stores around the military bases. I bought a brand new Danner Acadia for 20 bucks at a Savers store. It still had the tags on it. I always see the standards issue boots for less than that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob, as an avid tinkerer/modder I have a tear of admiration for you in my eyes as I write this, however I don't think that using jungles as an all-season boot is the best solution.

With the phasing out of the black boots for all US services, you'll find some awesome deals on surplus temperate boots. It just so happens that the most recent temperate boot, the ICB (Infantry Combat Boot), is goretex lined. I know these boots well, because they are what I use. I also know that when I was overseas, I was able to pick up a few pairs of brand new black Wellco and Belleville ICBs for under US$80 shipped airmail to a place that is hotter than here (no, not the desert). Stateside you'd be looking at under $50 shipped for a brand new pair.

Run a search on ebay for "ICB", "Infantry Combat Boot", "Wellco", "Bates" or "Belleville" and look at their surplus listings. You'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the prices you see. The tan "ACU" boots are the same, but you'll pay extra for them because they are current cool-guy gear.

So how do the ICBs go out in the booneys? Very well. They are not quite as tough as the Caddilacs or jungles, but they are 100 times more comfortable and they are fully waterproof. I have been wearing a pair of ICBs for over two years now - daily wear - and the only problem I have found is that the sole is wearing. I have used them in desert, temperate, tropical jungle and concrete jungle. All with zero failures.

Smudge has some good ideas for boots above - Danners, Matterhorns, etc. But STAY AWAY from Hi-tec Magnums. They are nowhere near as tough as they used to be since they moved manufacturing to china and they WILL FAIL ON YOU.

This is more of a stop-gap + test....it's nice to know if you "re-make" something to work....

My sis, works at a surplus store so I can geta discount on everything CEPT, right now their selection is crap!

Did find a pair of Army issue black combat boots but not sure on the size....

-Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mangnum insoles? Or their boots? I saw some fox boots....what a joke...vinyl over a think layer of leather --garbage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
With Magnums, it's mainly the soles. In my experience a pair of Hi-Tec magnums is the most comfortable pair of boots you'll find (when they're dry anyway), but the big problem is the sole of the boots splits. I had this happen to a pair after two months of daily STREET wear. Out in the booneys if you take a knee as often as I do for listening halts, you'd get maybe a month out of em. Not a good choice for TEOTWAWKI, but good enough for cops walking a beat from a vehicle.

Good luck on modding the jungle boots though, I'll be interested to see how you go. One small trick I learned is gasket goo or silastic sealant to plug the vents. You could probably use epoxy resin as well because the vents themselves are not prone to flexing. Make sure you apply it in a big blob from INSIDE the boots. These expedient plugs won't wear out and will allow you to walk through a puddle without having to change your socks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With Magnums, it's mainly the soles. In my experience a pair of Hi-Tec magnums is the most comfortable pair of boots you'll find (when they're dry anyway), but the big problem is the sole of the boots splits. I had this happen to a pair after two months of daily STREET wear. Out in the booneys if you take a knee as often as I do for listening halts, you'd get maybe a month out of em. Not a good choice for TEOTWAWKI, but good enough for cops walking a beat from a vehicle.

Good luck on modding the jungle boots though, I'll be interested to see how you go. One small trick I learned is gasket goo or silastic sealant to plug the vents. You could probably use epoxy resin as well because the vents themselves are not prone to flexing. Make sure you apply it in a big blob from INSIDE the boots. These expedient plugs won't wear out and will allow you to walk through a puddle without having to change your socks.

Good luck.

I'm going to do it and then maybe walk through some large puddles or wait for it to snow here and go for a walk around the neighborhood.

Or just stand in a bucket of water and see what happens!

Thinking gorilla glue on the vents, it seels and glues ANYTHING.

oh and guess what, my brother just gave me his OD Green field jacket he was issued in the 70's. when he was in the army. Not a rip or a tear in it ANYWHERE. I just need to get the insert for when winter rolls around.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Extra silicone spray...or battening the insides of the boots with cotton, but really you should get some warm boots. I picked up a a great pair of Stalkers with scent blocker and mossy oak camo for under 50 bucks....though it was from the 'store whose name dare not be mentioned'.
Those boots are the best buy and best piece of kit I've owned.
How cold is it where you are? Because honestly, I've been stuck in the snow with jungle boots once at it was not plesant. You really don't want to go through it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Extra silicone spray...or battening the insides of the boots with cotton, but really you should get some warm boots. I picked up a a great pair of Stalkers with scent blocker and mossy oak camo for under 50 bucks....though it was from the 'store whose name dare not be mentioned'.
Those boots are the best buy and best piece of kit I've owned.
How cold is it where you are? Because honestly, I've been stuck in the snow with jungle boots once at it was not plesant. You really don't want to go through it.

Utah, so cold deserts or cold mountains, we're at the foot of the rockies...i.e. the Wasatch Front.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Never been. Is it one of those boiling in the day, freezing in the night kind of situations? Maybe some thermal socks would be all it takes, in additon to an extra coating on the boots.
(edit) Stupid me. Foot of the Rockies, right. Yeah, I'd roll up the jungles and pack them for better weather, then play with the devil and get a warm pair of hunting boots from wallyworld.
....there, I said it, wallyworld. Someone shoot me :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never been. Is it one of those boiling in the day, freezing in the night kind of situations? Maybe some thermal socks would be all it takes, in additon to an extra coating on the boots.
(edit) Stupid me. Foot of the Rockies, right. Yeah, I'd roll up the jungles and pack them for better weather, then play with the devil and get a warm pair of hunting boots from wallyworld.
....there, I said it, wallyworld. Someone shoot me :D
I just might....heading into the wasatch would be a last resort, it's ALMOST walking distance but EVERYONE their uncle will be heading that way, I'd rather go west towards the Oquirrh Mountains or west desert....space...can see people coming....but what water there is, is SOOOOO salinated....hence the the Great Salt Lake.

-Rob.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I just might....heading into the wasatch would be a last resort, it's ALMOST walking distance but EVERYONE their uncle will be heading that way, I'd rather go west towards the Oquirrh Mountains or west desert....space...can see people coming....but what water there is, is SOOOOO salinated....hence the the Great Salt Lake.

-Rob.
Nothing but freaking water where I am. Two years ago it was pissing down for weeks, and when I was in the bush I saw a cougar with it's fur litterally rotting. It's funny, when one is accustomed to their environment, I'm at home in wet, heavily forested area, but arid terrain with salty or no water would probably kill me.
Good luck with the boots.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts