Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100429/D9FCD8I00.html

A federal judge challenged prosecutors Wednesday to show that nine members of a Michigan militia accused of plotting war against the government had done more than just talk and should remain locked up.

U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts heard nearly 10 hours of testimony and arguments over two days. She did not make a decision about whether the nine will remain in custody, saying only that a ruling would come soon.

The members of a southern Michigan group called Hutaree have been in custody for a month. An indictment accuses them of weapons violations and a rare crime: conspiring to commit sedition, or rebellion, against the government by first killing police officers.

Prosecutors say the public would be at risk if the nine are released. But defense lawyers claim the government has overreached with a criminal case based mostly on hateful speech.

An undercover agent infiltrated the group and secretly made recordings that have been played in court. While there is talk about killing police, it's not specific. In one conversation, there are many people talking over each other and laughing.

Roberts pressed that point more than once as Assistant U.S. Attorney Ronald Waterstreet argued in favor of keeping the nine in jail. The judge suggested she didn't hear or read in the transcripts any indication that violence was imminent.

"Mere presence where a crime may be planned is not a crime. ... How does this add up to seditious conspiracy?" Roberts said.

More...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, but I like the sound of that judge. Prosecutors are telling her she is reading it all wrong.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100429/D9FCVSEG1.html
Federal prosecutors trying to keep nine militia members in jail said Thursday that they don't need to show there was imminent danger when they charged them with plotting war against the government
In a court filing, prosecutors responded to a judge's concern that they haven't revealed a specific strategy against the U.S. by nine members of the Michigan-based Hutaree militia.
Defense lawyers spent two days trying to persuade U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts that their clients should be released from jail until trial. A decision could come this week.
Roberts challenged prosecutors on Wednesday to show how the group was launching an "imminent lawless action," a key condition under a 1969 U.S. Supreme Court ruling on seditious conspiracy.
In the Hutaree case, "the prosecution of the defendants for conspiracy is appropriate in order to prevent the conspiracy from ripening into actual violent actions," Waterstreet said in a filing Thursday.
Prosecutors say the militia plotted to kill police officers as a first step toward broader violence. Defense lawyers say it's just a case of irrational speech, not sedition.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
I'm sure some "new evidence" or something along those lines will pop up.

Just so we are clear, I did some checking after I first heard of this. Hutaree sounds pretty far out there, but I fail to see any evidence of wrong doing on their part.

They have guns. Lots of them. They don't care for the gooberment, and aren't afraid to say so. Thats about all they got, far as I can tell.

These days thats really all they need to arrest someone. I watched a video of an actual police classroom trainiing session. The instructor sttod there and said flat out that the founders of this nation were in fact, terrorists. Not one of the twenty or so cops in the room made any objection to such an outrageous claim. Many nodded in agreement.

Nice huh?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure some "new evidence" or something along those lines will pop up.

Just so we are clear, I did some checking after I first heard of this. Hutaree sounds pretty far out there, but I fail to see any evidence of wrong doing on their part.

They have guns. Lots of them. They don't care for the gooberment, and aren't afraid to say so. Thats about all they got, far as I can tell.

These days thats really all they need to arrest someone. I watched a video of an actual police classroom trainiing session. The instructor sttod there and said flat out that the founders of this nation were in fact, terrorists. Not one of the twenty or so cops in the room made any objection to such an outrageous claim. Many nodded in agreement.

Nice huh?
They were seditious, as far as the English were concerned, but they also did something besides just talk and joke about it.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Time-Lines, Time-Lines. This Hutaree nonsense, all the media hype around April 19th and talk of Militias, That odd interview with Wolf Blitzer & Bill Clinton.

Yeah, gotta do what you can to stop all that Tea Party opposition; after all, November is just a few months away.

Gotta find that common enemy. That Devil in the Mulberry bush...

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
the gov. may feel it needs to choose it cases carefully on this matter, maybe we (the people) have more control than we think. or there afraid of the challenges a case like this may open up, free speech, 2amd.ect.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
the gov. may feel it needs to choose it cases carefully on this matter, maybe we (the people) have more control than we think. or there afraid of the challenges a case like this may open up, free speech, 2amd.ect.
I agree the gooberment should tread lightly.

I don't however think they are afraid rover. If they were I doubt this country would be in the state it is in now.

Reactions: Dwind

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I agree the gooberment should tread lightly.

I don't however think they are afraid rover. If they were I doubt this country would be in the state it is in now.
Well 'afraid' might not be a good description but, when you round up a militia group in Mich. and every other group in the country goes on alert they might stop and think.....

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
LOL, I want to write that judge a letter thanking her for being impartial. For having the balls to be fair.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.