Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this on yahooNews and thought it interesting. A judge just ruled that an American that was imprisoned but never charged can sue former defense sec Donald Rumsfeld.
Personally, I'm on the fence about this, especially not knowing the full story. On one hand, this could be a very dangerous precedent, yet on the other hand, those that "run" our country need to be reigned in,somehow.
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-allows-american-sue-rumsfeld-over-torture-204027220.html

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,078 Posts
Well, I think the case belongs in court. I think that people need to be accountable for their actions; regardless of rank.

That doesn't mean I think he should be found guilty

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,890 Posts
They will need to prove in a court of law that Rumsfeld actually ordered his detention without charges.

The burden of proof will be on the accuser.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I think americans should be treated to a higher standard than the rest of the world. He should be able to sue for for his civil rights being obstructed. As for the rest of the world including our allies, **** them! We are the greatest nation on earth and you either are with us or your not. Im sick of this dilutional liberal thinking where we are all going to hold hands and unite in one big happy rainbow peace loving utopia. People war, we always have and always will. Its just a question of what side your on and how big is your stick.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
well, unless the person (the guy held anyways) has a lot of evidence that will be admissable in a court he is gonna lose and lose hard...

He is going to have to prove the scars he has (if any) were inflicted under the watch of rummy, does he have photos of his so called torture? Does he have anything that is gonna make a judge pay even the slightest amount of attention? Those are things that have to get past the very first hearing...without that... he has nothing..

I predict he is a gonner on this case....

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
He was held without charges.

Bothersome: Navy Criminal Investigative Service agents questioned him about his work, refusing his requests for representation by his employer, the Marines or an attorney.

He would have had those rights here.

I agree that it will be the accuser's burden of proof. Doubtful outcome in his favor.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I think Rummy and Cheney need to be charged with murder for each service member death in Iraq because they manipulated the intelligence and got us into a war that was not necessary.

Iraq was never a threat to the US, there were no terrorists there, Saddam didn't allow them, and the WMD's were destroyed in the early 90's.

No reason to invade other than Haliburton contracts.

So yes they should be held accountable for their actions and lying to the public, congress, and the President.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts