Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this posted several times lately. It would seem to me that the best way to join a survival group would be to join your local church.

1. Most people you know locally attend there.

2. The people there have contacts in the local community.

3. There are lots of elderly that have alot of wisdom and can teach you methods of sowing, cooking, gardening and food storage.

4. Going to Church is also good for the Soul. Sure there are some kooks in Church but you will have that anywhere just don't let the fear of a couple of kooks sway you from joining. In other words a couple of bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch.

I am presently not a member of my local church but after reading my own post I will be joining.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
There are some kooks in church, but there are a lot more of them out of it.

Church is how I ran into a prepper family that ended up in our group. But as usual, OPSEC applies. The one thing church folks are the worst at (at least in my experience) is claiming unchristian behavior when they don't get their way. Imagine how things would fare when 3 dozen of them show up at your house insisting on handouts as the only Christian thing to do. But it's a great place to get to know really great people. There are probably preppers among them, but they may be keeping OPSEC too, so it takes time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here's my problem with your idea. Most of the church people I know think they Jesus will save them. Some use it as a reason not to prep. They claim that their god will protect them. I can't imagine anything more ludicrous and can't identify with them. Why would I want to be in a group that when a stressful situation arrives, they resort to prayer to save them.

Of those that do prep, they are the fire and brimstone type. Mostly close minded and unwilling to accept ideas outside of their own theology. If anything big ever happens, I think it will be vital to be able to adopt new thought processes and be flexible with what you consider morality to be.

I always say that I like options. That goes for preps and people.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No offense, but some of the biggest scam artists I have ever met were church members (not all of them, just some). Of course, if you live in a very small community then this might be another way of meeting/mingling with the the local community.
For myself, I try to avoid the overtly religous...even though they won't stop knocking on my door, lol!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Excellent advice. I've never been a hard core church goer, but when I think back to when I was growing up, 90% of my male church members were gun toting, fishing, trapping types. Very few members would have been classified as holy rollers. If I ever move back there, I would be looking them up for a support group. I'm not LDS, but those folks were prepared and equipped. The smaller the church, the easier it is to spot the BS artists.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Here's my problem with your idea. Most of the church people I know think they Jesus will save them. Some use it as a reason not to prep. They claim that their god will protect them. I can't imagine anything more ludicrous and can't identify with them. Why would I want to be in a group that when a stressful situation arrives, they resort to prayer to save them.

Of those that do prep, they are the fire and brimstone type. Mostly close minded and unwilling to accept ideas outside of their own theology. If anything big ever happens, I think it will be vital to be able to adopt new thought processes and be flexible with what you consider morality to be.

I always say that I like options. That goes for preps and people.
I tell people this all the time: If you were in a boat in the middle of a lake with no current, you can pray to God all you want but until you pick up an oar and start rowing, God ain't going to help you!

·
Registered
22,145 Posts
Church membership is, aside from the obvious spiritual benefits, a good way to meet people in your community and form friendships. A lot of folks in the survival crowd have the opposite mindset. But in the SHTF situations we're likely to face, knowing the community and having a good standing will go a long way.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I tell people this all the time: If you were in a boat in the middle of a lake with no current, you can pray to God all you want but until you pick up an oar and start rowing, God ain't going to help you!
I'd amend that to, if God left an oar in the boat, He'd expect you to start rowing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No offense, but some of the biggest scam artists I have ever met were church members (not all of them, just some). Of course, if you live in a very small community then this might be another way of meeting/mingling with the the local community.
For myself, I try to avoid the overtly religous...even though they won't stop knocking on my door, lol!
Thank you;

I have been burnt more times by "christians" than not...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I prefer to stick to friends and family. I have three trustworthy neighbors, none of them of my religious affiliation. I would help them before most people at church (who KNOW better than to not be prepared...they aggravate me!!!).

I like to know the people at church and I know which ones I would help if they show up and those that I won't (those that go to Hawaii twice a year with their five kids but refuse to store a hundred pounds of rice in case of shtf!) The thing is, the people at church who I would help are those who would not NEED my help.

It's good to form associations with lots of people with varying skills. Church is a good place for that. Most people who go to church are trying to be better people...perhaps it will rub off on me someday!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The wife and I have discussed "joining a church" to find "like minded" people as well.

We're not ready to become Mormons (the only Christian based faith I know of that encourages prepping)

Most Christian based churchs in the USA aren't going to tell you to stock food, water purification, etc - they are going to tell you to Prep with God directly. TSHTF is the end of the world literally; food stocks, gold bars, and MREs won't save you from judgement day.

I have a lengthy background with organized religion. Once upon a time I was filling out paperwork to go to Seminary school in Wisconsin. I see far far far too many hypocrits in church.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Thank you;

Well, it only stands to reason. To be a true Christian hypocrite you have to be at church. That, in and of itself, should give you an idea that just because someone is at church doesn't mean they are trustworthy. The non-hypocrite stays home; he doesn't need people at church to "see" him there being a good church-going Christian (or whatever faith).

Church is full of different people attending for different reasons. Everyone is struggling with something. It's still a good place to meet lots of people who can help you out in a bind; most people are inherently good and don't mind helping out people they associate with.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I have heard that Messianics tend to prep?? but those whom I know personally don't seem to.

·
"The truth is out there."
400 Posts
These boards are strange to me.

When I first joined I thought it would be filled with a bunch of left, tree hugging liberals.

Then I learned that most people on these boards hate liberals.

So then I shifted my thinking and thought most members were right wing, gun toting, religious types.

But that is really not the case either.

The fact is that all of these stereotypes should be thrown out the window and people can certainly lean toward the left or right. But in the end people will do and belive in what best suits them. If that means taking pieces from both the left and right and calling it their own, than so be it.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The wife and I have discussed "joining a church" to find "like minded" people as well.

We're not ready to become Mormons (the only Christian based faith I know of that encourages prepping)

Most Christian based churchs in the USA aren't going to tell you to stock food, water purification, etc - they are going to tell you to Prep with God directly. TSHTF is the end of the world literally; food stocks, gold bars, and MREs won't save you from judgement day.

I have a lengthy background with organized religion. Once upon a time I was filling out paperwork to go to Seminary school in Wisconsin. I see far far far too many hypocrits in church.
Personally, I am LDS, but many, many of my Seventh-day Adventist friends are into prepping, some more so than LDS folks. They are also very family-oriented. Also, in my area (which may be different that the LDS in YOUR area) we don't mind helping anyone out who wants to prep. Just ask around and let them know right up front whether or not you would be interested in ever joining so there's pressure or expectations from anyone. Just tell them that you are interested in the one aspect of prepping. There are lots of people who are non-members who attend our preparedness fairs (they are advertised in the local paper when we have them) and they end up coming to other non-advertised preparedness events. Most people I know at church who are into prepping are always glad to help one more person, LDS or not. It's one less hungry mouth around wreaking havoc when things hit the fan.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, it only stands to reason. To be a true Christian hypocrite you have to be at church. That, in and of itself, should give you an idea that just because someone is at church doesn't mean they are trustworthy. The non-hypocrite stays home; he doesn't need people at church to "see" him there being a good church-going Christian (or whatever faith).

Church is full of different people attending for different reasons. Everyone is struggling with something. It's still a good place to meet lots of people who can help you out in a bind; most people are inherently good and don't mind helping out people they associate with.
Maybe;

But so for it never fails, it's always the bible thumper/ holy rollers.. (I get red flags every time I see one)

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Thank you;

You've said this exact quote at least TWICE!!!!

Maybe if everyone hates you, it isn't the athiest, Religious, or Establishment... maybe it's you?

Stop pointing in tear filled eyes, crying Brute! I'm sick of it. Do you want me to quote all of your "anti Dragogt" posts? "everyone hates me, boo hoo". I don't hate you. I don't burn you. I DON'T KNOW YOU.

Cowboy up! I don't have time to deal with self induced victims. I know that makes me seem uncarring, but this is a forum. This isn't me in real life telling you to grow a dik.

I have many friends on these boards that are Atheists, I have at least two in my personal survivalist group.

You wanna know what? It isn't an issue. I don't care if you are Gay, Married, Republican, Christian, or even Muslim.

Your inability to connect is self induced or self produced. It isn't that "we" are mean, it's that you are Delusional. Your problems are wide brushed, conjectural, and with 100 posts, unsubstantiated. Why are you trying to stir the pot?

If you want to "fit in" then the change starts with you. Don't blame Christians, Muslims, Jews, Or athiests for your inability to Socialize. We aren't the problem.

And for every flame I get, for being mean, I want you to know I wish you NO ill will. I am telling you what I feel is truth that might make you a little bit happier, and less of a myopic Emo Git. If your looking for a fight, attention, or abuse, keep posting short sited prejudice comments and I will give you just that.

Everyone here are survivalists. It's amazing to me that so many of us get a long with no problems or scores to settle. Then you come along. Picking a passive aggressive fight.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry I wasn't "crying" about it, but I was making a point; Who said anything about fitting in? I sure as hell didn't...

Oh btw I know I can be antisocial, so Flame on... So are you another Do as I say, or do you walk the walk; Or just Hide behind region like all the rest I've met??

The rest of your post made no sense..

Edit

Nice to see you added quite a bit to your post..

1 - 20 of 95 Posts