Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a new year, so a new thread. (Yes, I realize that the new year was almost 3 months ago. :D:)

I have been thinking a lot about what I'm getting accomplished and what I'm not getting accomplished, :eek:: I blame it on the fact that I have not a clue what I'm doing. :D:

So the next 3 years are going to be dedicated to improving and enlarging the garden.

With this said, "Let the Picture begin."

We have a greenhouse! It's a Harbor Freight 6x8 Greenhouse. For less then 300.00 dollars, and a lot of cursing while putting it up, I feel like it was a steal.

Tomato seedlings, they are growing very slow, considering that I planted them at the beginning of February. I blame it on all of the dark dreary days we have had.

A random avocado seed.

My 24 strawberry plants, they are a ever bearing variety.

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

My plum sapling. I'm so happy that I have been able to propagate a tree. All i did was take a cutting of new growth, cut a 45 degree angle on it, dipped it in rooting powder, and keep it in moist soil.:)

i just love these macro pictures.

Olive trees

My pitiful looking orange tree.

Potatoes! This is my first year for doing potatoes, and I'm really hoping
for some good yields.

Some bib lettuce coming up. This box of lettuce will go in with the chickens.

Another pitiful tree, my pear tree leafed out so well, and then we had a hard freeze. That's the bad part about Texas.

The same thing with both of my plum trees.

The only fruit tree that will bear fruit this year.:rolleyes: Thankfully peach is my favorite.:)

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A escapee.

A group photo.

All of my rabbits. 2 of my does are expecting litters in the next 30 days.

Feeding time.

Something new I have added, is a air pump to my automatic water tanks. It keeps the water circulating and keeps the anaerobic bacteria at bay.

Can anyone guess what new addition I'm adding to the homestead?

hint:

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,276 Posts
Ohhhhhhhh, very cool!! I'd thank you but the button is gone! LOL I really like that greenhouse. The guy on GrowingYourGreens.com recommended that greenhouse but he lives in California ... and I don't think he has to deal with the "winds sweeping down the plains" like we do! :D:

Are you gonna get ducks?? What kind? How many? I have a drake and 2 hens coming at the end of the month ... traded a trio of rabbits for them. I am so excited! :)

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhhhhhhh, very cool!! I'd thank you but the button is gone! LOL I really like that greenhouse. The guy on GrowingYourGreens.com recommended that greenhouse but he lives in California ... and I don't think he has to deal with the "winds sweeping down the plains" like we do! :D:

Are you gonna get ducks?? What kind? How many? I have a drake and 2 hens coming at the end of the month ... traded a trio of rabbits for them. I am so excited! :)
Yeah I saw the GrowingYourGreens guy first, which made me start investigating them more thoroughly.

Yes I'm getting ducks:D: I'm not sure what kind yet, as I have to see what kind the feed store is getting. I'm really really hoping for some Welsh Harlequins or Khaki Campbells, but Runner ducks, or anything but Muscovies will be accepted.

I will only be getting a pair of hens.:cool:

·
8,276 Posts
HaHA!! I was right! (Because I was looking at troughs just like that for mine ... :eek::)

I hear Khaki Campbells are the ducks to have if you are only interested in eggs. I'm getting Pekins because I want eggs and meat birds. If they turn out to be much trouble though, they'll go in the oven ... :D: My dad had ducks and I'll freely admit that what I thought was "cool" 50 years ago when I was a kid may not be so cool now when I have to clean up after them on a regular basis ... ;)

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are some planter boxes I have been making.

The dimensions are 1' by 2' feet. They are framed with 6 inch cedar fence boards. and 1x2 strips.

The bottom is out of a old coal bag, but the material is the rip stop material that they make tarps out of. Alternatively landscaping fabric works better, but I was using what I have on hand.

Stretch it tight and staple it down.

Trim the excess.

I used a scrap of shade cloth for appearance's sake, but there is no need for it if use weed cloth.

Frame it in.

And you're done.

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Runner Ducks! Today was a somewhat stressful day, between not being able to fix my laptop, and everything else that happened throughout the day, the Runner ducks were definitely the highlight.

When I got to the feedstore, they were incredibly busy, plus they got a straight run of ducks. There were Rouens, Pekins, and lots of goslings all mixed together, but no Welsh Harlequins, Khaki Campbells, or Buffs, so Runner Ducks it is.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Choo gotta fiver Jodie. Great work!

Reactions: jodier7

·
8,276 Posts
I only like to paint with brushes! :)

Love what you have done!!
Haha! Me, too! If I use a roller I get it EVERYWHERE! :eek:: Well, okay, I get it everywhere when I paint with a brush, too ... but not quite as bad ... :eek:::D:

The Old JBT thinks I'm daft because I want to paint the chicken coop a nice bright combo of goldish yellow, dark french blue, reddish violet and kinda a dark greenish turquoise ... and put a metal roof on it so I can put water barrels behind it to catch rainwater run-off ... :D: My chickens are kinda plain, so the coop needs to be pretty, no? ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts