Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking maybe it's time I get something a little more secure than a hiding spot when it comes to defending against theft.
Recent threads have lead me to believe that, although a hiding spot is a good idea, it's not a guarantee that your items won't be stolen. I'm cheap and, like most middle income blue collar workers, I can't afford a really expensive gun safe.

So I was at work the other day and one of the guys has a Jobox with 2 lock points. The box looks super solid and can even be bolted down to the floor if he chose to do so. So I got to thinking...Could I spend ~$300 and get a Jobox and if so, would it be a good alternative to a marketed gun safe?

So what are your views on this? Do you use alternatives to gun safes to secure your valuables?

The only real weakness I can see is that the box would only be as secure as the locks you used.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I've been thinking maybe it's time I get something a little more secure than a hiding spot when it comes to defending against theft.
Recent threads have lead me to believe that, although a hiding spot is a good idea, it's not a guarantee that your items won't be stolen. I'm cheap and, like most middle income blue collar workers, I can't afford a really expensive gun safe.

So I was at work the other day and one of the guys has a Jobox with 2 lock points. The box looks super solid and can even be bolted down to the floor if he chose to do so. So I got to thinking...Could I spend ~$300 and get a Jobox and if so, would it be a good alternative to a marketed gun safe?

So what are your views on this? Do you use alternatives to gun safes to secure your valuables?

The only real weakness I can see is that the box would only be as secure as the locks you used.

I plan on buying one when I buy my house, I plan on locking up my hand tools and electric tools in the Jobox, and anchoring it on the garage floor. I hate thieves! I would rather keep my guns in a fire proof Gun safe than the Jobox, I wouldn't doubt people have used the Jobox for a gun storage box though, it looks well built.:cool:

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,889 Posts
I've had to bug out from a couple of different hurricanes. I've loaded mine in the back of the truck-chained it down with pad-locks and loaded my weapons, ammo and other valuables inside.

The locks aren't really accessible except for lock picks! It should be a great alternative to a gun safe......providing your significant other allows it in the house!

Mines wider than the one in the pic, with locks on each end. Fits my long guns just fine!

Reactions: Ricekila

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
I use a locker out of a high school. Not hard to break into if someone is determined, but a deterrent enough for anyone in a hurry. Cost me $40 from a local surplus store and a couple cans of tremclad spray paint.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tools are HOT items for theifs
Yeah but can't that be said for just about anything really? Tools, guns, money, electronics...etc...
I thought I might get one off of Craigslist and spray paint it. Not that it would make it look any less like a tool box.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Thieves want things they can sell for a quick buck and not have their name attached to it. Guns is not one of those items. A theif may be more inclined to break into the job box or take the whole thing.

Also, a gun safe doesn't need anything extra. For every gun you put in that job box, you need to buy a 20 dollar or so gun bag.

I bought this safe because I needed to put it on the second floor. Fire proofing I hear isn't useful. It could depend on the fire. But, If the fire did get into that room to any extent, the guns are trashed anyways. The safe costed me $400 2 years ago. It is a safe and not one of their lockers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-10-Gun-Safe-With-Combination-Lock/11071327

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Here's my take; my safe is well hidden. It would take someone far longer to find my safe than it would to break into it.

The JoBox is huge and would be hard to hide.

Just something to think about.

Az

·
Banned
3,508 Posts

I currently have 2 of them. This one made by Greenlee, and another slightly shorter one made by Rigid, that I use for primarily handgun storage, along with some shorter weapons like M-4's, AK-47's and the like. Both afford good, solid protection for the price. As you can see they can easily be covered, and used for a table. My wife purchased a couch throw on sale from Sportsman's Guide to cover this one with, and it worked out quite well. I sometimes use it for a display table for my Bushmaster .50 BMG rifle when I'm home. It fits inside nicely in a large Pelican Case.

One thing to remember is these are also water proof up to the handles and lock points. Gun safes, regardless of how large or expensive they are, are not. Water is the biggest destroyer of property in homes in this country. And you don't have to live in a flood plane either. Here in Phoenix a co-worker of mine had a water pipe burst shortly after he and his wife left for work. It flowed full force for over 11 hours before they returned home later that evening. According to the water meter reading the next month, over 9,500 gallons were released into his home, resulting in over $43,000.00 in damage. In this regard people should be more concerned about their water pipes than the neighborhood kids breaking in.

These "On Site" tool boxes offer better protection than the cheaper Stack-On type safes, which I have 2 of also.

My wife and I both shoot a lot of Trap, and handload extensively for 12 gauge. I weighted down the bottom of each box with several hundred pounds of shot in 25 pound bags. It makes a nice soft base to place guns on top of and takes up very little room. It makes them all but impossible to carry off. Both Home Depot and Lowe's carry these, and can special order any size imaginable. They are also manufactured by Knaack, along with several other companies, so be sure to shop for price because someone usually always has them on sale. Especially now with the poor economy, along with the fact the building trades are all but dead. Bill T.

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
For padlocks to secure them with, I recommend the Master Lock Boron Carbide Shackled Models. They are not overly expensive, and they sell them in like keyed sets. They come in many sizes so be sure to measure carefully and get the largest ones you can that will fit. I keep the keys for them hidden inside another gun safe.

Just for the hell of it, my curiosity was killing me so I bought an extra one and took it to work, to see just how hard it would be to force open. It was unbelievable. I, along with several other guys put the thing in a vise and went at it. We used everything from 3 foot crowbars to 11 pound short sledge's. All we managed to do was mangle it.

Afterward I tried to cut the Boron Carbide shackle and it dulled everything I used. I finally was able to cut through it with a 12" cut off wheel from a chop saw. It reduced the wheel to under 9" before I got through it. Remember also that these boxes provide recessed lock wells to protect the locks, so it is all but impossible to even get at them to attempt to do any damage to them. You would need an Acetylene torch, and you don't see very many burglars breaking into homes with them. Bill T.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
I think a jobox will do you just fine. I've worked construction for over 25 years now and we have never had a jobox broken into when they were locked up. The only way somone could get into one of those is to take a quick saw and saw the lid off. But, you can get decals that say, "Danger" or "Hazards" or anything like that to detour the crimminals.
Also, billt460 has an excellent way of hiding his "safe." I've read someone that most break-ins only last a couple of minutes at the most. They break-in and do a quick search, they know where most people hide their possessions (under the bed, underware drawer, etc), and then they get out in a hurry. For most crooks, they don't spend a whole lot of time going through every drawer. IMHO.
As far as fire-rated, I've read before that a piece of sheetrock will give you a 1 hour fire rating. You can line the jobox with that, cover it up like billt460 did, put some nice things on top of it and no one will ever know.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Joe

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
Also, billt460 has an excellent way of hiding his "safe." I've read someone that most break-ins only last a couple of minutes at the most. They break-in and do a quick search, they know where most people hide their possessions (under the bed, underware drawer, etc), and then they get out in a hurry. For most crooks, they don't spend a whole lot of time going through every drawer. Joe
Insurance statistics show that most home break In's are by kids under the age of 16. Most are in the house for less than 2 minutes. These are "smash and grab" type hits. Most are looking for cash, jewelery, or anything else that is easily fenced for a few quick bucks. They don't come prepared to break into even the simplest gun safe.

"Pros" don't hit cookie cutter sub divisions. The penalty is the same for breaking into a $950,000.00 home as it is a $85,000.00 one. Mass marketed alarm systems like ADT and Brinks are good in that they will send them down the street to your neighbors house instead of yours. Bill T.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I live in a two bedroom apartment and have been thinking about buying one of the Ridgid job boxes to store my handguns and AR. I can't afford a nice safe and don't want the hassle of getting it to the second floor.

I think they are a great alternative to folks in my situation...

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
I live in a two bedroom apartment and have been thinking about buying one of the Ridgid job boxes to store my handguns and AR. I can't afford a nice safe and don't want the hassle of getting it to the second floor.

I think they are a great alternative to folks in my situation...
They are, and they will provide you with needed security. They are not that heavy to move when empty. My wife and I got one from the truck into the house with very little problem. You can weight them down after you get them in place. Bill T.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you've seen these stack on safes from Walmart you realize how flimsy they are. They could be opened in under a minute with a pry bar or screwdriver. They meet state laws requiring that guns be locked up but beyond that are not much better than the old glass front gun cabinets. In fact, they scream "Open Me, Good Stuff Inside!"

A Jobox, on the other hand, is much more secure with undisclosed contents. Disguised, they would require someone to locate it and then penetrate it; Greatly reducing the potential for theft.

Years ago I purchased two stack on safes at a garage sale for $25.00. Out of curiosity, I tried to get into one and found that simply punching out the lock with a screwdriver was as quick as using the key. I've reinforced both of these now with two additional padlocks and use them for ammo storage. My hope is that they will be a good deterrent and time waster for a thief who won't even know to look for the Jobox.

·
Banned
130 Posts
the "greenlee" job box is one of my current projects. I am drilling mine....to use carriage bolts to encase the box with 2inch thick planks. this will allow me to cover the carry handles..yet by unboltling from the inside will permit the use of the greenlee handles to move when necessary. the planking will also cover the seams on the front and sides to deter any attempts to pry open...the "lock boxes" will be simply pluged with wood blocks for apperance...the intent is to sand and woodstain...creating a nice looking "wooden chest"...with the amount of ammo I have on hand...and the firearms I intend to store within...the chest will be extremely difficult to move...or pickup...with a coating of bearing grease along the bottom surface edge....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts