Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/05/unemployed.sign/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Paul Nawrocki says he's beyond the point where he cares about humiliation.
Paul Nawracki, jobless since February, stands on New York corners with a sign announcing his job search.

Paul Nawracki, jobless since February, stands on New York corners with a sign announcing his job search.
Click to view previous image

That's why he weekly takes a 90-minute train ride to New York, where he walks the streets wearing a sandwich board that advertises his plight: The former toy-industry executive needs a job.

"Almost homeless," reads the sign. "Looking for employment. Very experienced operations and administration manager."

Wearing a suit and tie under the sign, Nawrocki -- who was in the toy industry 36 years before being laid off in February -- stands on Manhattan corners for hours, hoping to pass resumes to interested passers-by.

"When you're out of work and you face having nothing -- I mean, having no income -- pride doesn't mean anything," Nawrocki said. "You need to find work. I have to take care of my family." iReport.com: Have you lost your job? Tell us your story.

People look but don't often stop. A woman in the jewelry business paused as Nawrocki stood with his sign outside Grand Central Station recently.

"I feel sorry for him. I wish I could help him," she said. "I'll pray for him. I'll give him a prayer card."
Don't Miss

Nawrocki will take the prayers. His wife is partially disabled and on 15 medications, his daughter has student loans, and he's running out of money, he says.

He tried more traditional approaches at looking for work, but nothing came through. His daughter eventually suggested handing out résumés on the street.

"We started talking, and she actually came up with the suggestion of putting on the sign board. I thought, 'That's not a bad idea.' So, here I am," he said. Video Watch Nawrocki explain why he's using the sign »

Getting the right person's attention is tough. Competing with him for the eyes of passers-by are charity groups and homeless people seeking donations.

But there was one hopeful moment as CNN was interviewing him. A man identifying himself as the head of a New York executive recruiting firm took one of Nawrocki's résumés.

The man, Steve Warren, was asked whether employers are looking for people with Nawrocki's expertise.

"It's very difficult," Warren said. "The operations pieces are all exported to overseas, and the problem that we face is, guys like Mr. Nawrocki have a problem finding work here."

Warren was asked whether someone could find a job using Nawrocki's walking-the-streets tactic.

"Well, I found his résumé here, so I'm going to try to find him [something]," he said.

Nawrocki has plenty of competition. The U.S. government said 533,000 jobs in the country were lost in November, and more than 1.9 million jobs have been lost in 2008.

But he retains hope that he and his sign will attract the right opportunity.

"There has got to be a job out there, and hopefully there's one for me," he said.
I am just shaking my old and weary head.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Competing with him for the eyes of passers-by are charity groups and homeless people seeking donations.
sad thing is the homeless seeking "donations" probably end up with money in their pockets at the end of the day. the poor guy who wants to work, you think anyone is passing him spare change?

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
This just saddens me to no end...and scares me more than I want to admit.

..."there but for the grace of God go I"...

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
all these millions of people that are losing/ gonna lose their jobs. they all gonna go take minimum wage service jobs? will there even be enough sh!t jobs? nope. where we are going, once you lose your job, you are HOSED. take the gov't handout as long as it lasts. after that i dont know what to tell you. if you got nothing to lose maybe use all available credit left to you and get a cheap camper or something and start living for free somewhere.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
the minimum wage jobs are next on the chopping block.

you think people who work at the local javahut or blockbuster video are going to be able to hold on to their job s when Mr White collar worker cant pay his mortgage let alone get a frappacino and new realease DVD?

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
i lost my manufacturing job last february. I have more than 10 years experience working with steel and wood products. Hell i even have polyeurethane foam experience.
I also have a 5 year background in the security industry and OFA3.
In the BC interior, i have been job hunting, NO ONE is hiring.
My friends are now beginning to lose their jobs.
I knew something REALLY bad was happening when i couldnt even get a low paying security job again. :(
The okanagan valley is basically a tourist town filled with minimum wage earners. I suspect with the ever decreasing tourism industry all the hospitality jobs will be going by the summer. Last july was the slowest season ive ever seen here in my life.
I have been contemplating buying a small teardrop trailer to live in until things straighten out.
My EI just ran out a few weeks ago. I suspect i will now be spending my home savings to live.
I thank god every day that i dont have a family to feed.

peace
al

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Al, have you thought about relocating? Give it some thought and do some research. Maybe moving a few miles might be the break that you need...

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
My ex-wife got cut from her job a few days ago. Normally I could careless but we have a son together. I've always taken care of him, but yesterday the three year review got sent out for child support.
:eeeek:

The state of Fla is man hater country ...

Now I'm scared. I can fore see it now, I'm the only one left working but I'll have to ship all my money to her because of this bull****.

·
Pray for our troops
440 Posts
no jobs

being a trucker,I get to see job difficulties from all over the country,just this past week,I was in San Francisico for three days & I seen more homeless people than any other time I had been there..waay more people sleeping in parks,asking for handouts,etc.It makes me wonder,how far will this country fall?How is the Obama-messiah gonna fix this.?:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,366 Posts
Al, have you thought about relocating? Give it some thought and do some research. Maybe moving a few miles might be the break that you need...
thats right,if nobody is hireing were your at, why would you remain there? Move to another location to increase your chances at employment believe me someone is hireing somewere........in times such as these we must think in extraordenary ways....which may require leaving our comfert zone.........

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Doc Young, I was going down that route too until I just found out my ex took a 15% pay cut 2 months ago. Not pleased to hear that, since I havent had any increase in 5 years and I know he was making more money. So much for that. Im going to have to try and stretch my dollars even farther now.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have always lived as if I won't have a job in a month. I never felt comfortable unless I had a little something to fall back on. I am quite certain that I'm going to find out just how well I did within 6 months. Best wishes an prayers to those who are living the nightmare now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts