Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the gasket to my Optimus liquid fuel canister ruptured, leaked a small amount of (but extremely stinky) kerosene inside my backpack, on my tent, and on my favorite outdoor clothes. Not really in the mood for this to happen again. Which brings up two questions:

1. Do you really have to use the lids on liquid fuel bottles? The gasket to my fuel pump looks much better... can the fuel pump not be stored non-stop in a full fuel canister? Will the fuel pump ever leak like out of the hose or anything? Will this damage the pump?

2. I picked up a JetBoil system for the time being. I'll probably end up liking it better for backpacking anyway at least for solo trips. Is there any tips or tricks I should know to minimize any learning period?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do not ignite the flame with the cup on the burner. It should be obvious, but I've seen so many people (on Youtube) almost burn their hands off due to the explosion of flame that vents out the burner's sides because they affixed the cup to the stove before igniting.
Actually this is exactly what the salesperson said to do! Guess I'll think twice about that. However, I have heard of people having problems like this if the piezo ignitor fails and they have to ignite it with a lighter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.