Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through a good friend I got my hands on some 200 litre barrels of Jet A1. I intend to use it as fuel for heaters, lamps etc. and even in the old power generator, which runs excellently on paraffin/ keronsene.

The data sheet for Jet A1 states that the content is "Kerosine (petroleum), hydrodesulphurised". When this paraffin is "hydrodesulphurised", does that mean it has been refined pretty much the same way as lamp oil is? Does this mean it can be safely used as fuel for lamps and heaters indoors? Anybody have a clue?

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Be careful with that stuff! I understand it melted the twin-towers!

:xeye:

Sorry..I couldn't resist no matter how hard I tried.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Be careful with that stuff! I understand it melted the twin-towers!

:xeye:

Sorry..I couldn't resist no matter how hard I tried.
Lol exactly, cause we all know that kerosene can melt structural steel, and spontaneously destroy WTC7 at the same time!!!

Reactions: temu

·
Registered
6 Posts
We used Jet A and JP5 and JP8 to heat our tents when I was in the USMC. We used the old Yukon 1912 stoves. The stoves were really old and if the regulator went bad it would cherry out the exhaust pipe and set the tent on fire (burned down about 20 tents in Korea during Operation BearHunt 85) Bottom line is that it will work as long as it is well vented.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just pretty refined kerosene-not quite as clean as pearl but usable. Mind your ventilation!

·
Being Prepared
311 Posts
I run Jet-A in my heaters all the time. It is highly refined kerosene and works perfectly. i think it might have slightly more odor than K-1 kero, but for the price it can't be beat, and it stores for a REALLY long time.

It also works well in Aladdin lamps, and diesel generator engines if you add lubricity additives like Stanadyne Lubricity Formula.

Good luck all. Nancy Pelosi will save us all.

Bubba

·
Registered
273 Posts
Back when i was an aircraft mech, i had 12 - 15 planes a night to turn and each had 3 sumps that needed checking. This got me at least 10 gallons of the stuff a night. I asked a buddy about using it in my kerosene heaters and he told me that he thought it had benzene in it.

I never checked up on that, but i never used it for my unvented heaters either. Instead i bought a W350. 30 gallons of free jet A and half a quart of motor oil and the cummins ran like a champ for years on it.

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
In one of my past lives I worked as a fuel inspector/3rd party witness to large fuel transfers. JetA-50 is the grade that most commercial airlines use, the A50 is a reference to the freezing point of this fuel (-50f). JetA50 is just a higher grade of diesel fuel with some other additives. It basically has similar qualities as DF#2, the flash point is lower and the cloud point/freeze is lower.

DS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts