Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dirty vegan hippie
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make some beef jerky, which I've never done before, so I'm looking up marinade recipes. But a lot of them have teriyaki sauce, and I always thought the sweet taste of teriyaki jerky was pretty nasty, and a lot more have Worcestershire sauce, which I was also never especially fond of, although I don't hate it. It's just a bit strong. I don't even eat my BBQ with BBQ sauce, LOL. I just like the meat taste. I want my jerky to taste like beef. Do I even need a marinade? Should I just salt it? I'd like it if I could find a marinade that subtly enhances the taste, but I don't want it to be sweet or anything. Bleh. D:

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you just want that meat flavor then you can just salt the strips lightly and that will do.

Alternitivly try marinading you meat in soy sauce for 24 hr before you dry them. It will give your meat a slightly ritcher flavor without over powering it if you do that way then thier is no need to salt the meat first cause the soy sauce is quite salty. with your first batch try half just salt and half soy sauce

my personal favorite marinade is 50/50 bbq marinade and soy sause with a few drops of ass reeper chilli sauce for added bite. Then use cocktail sticks to hang the strips from the oven rack put the oven on low like 50-60 oC and prop the oven door open slightly to alow moisture to escape and wait 5-8 hours untill done and enjoy

·
dirty vegan hippie
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aah, that cocktail stick thing is smart! I shall do that, and I'll try your different salt/marinade suggestions. The spicy BBQ soy sauce mix does sound like it could be good.
Thanks for all the tips! All very helpful!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use Worcestershire, prepared mustard, Wrights liquid smoke, and Tobasco, and I add onion powder, garlic powder, and anything else that I feel like using.
I have used Soy sauce in combination with some of the above and it's worked good
If you do use the prepared Mustard, you should put that in the bowl and stir in the Wright's (yes the brand matters) liquid smoke, then stir in the Worcestershire. If you add the mustard to the other stuff, it will stay in clumps, so Always Start with the Mustard.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use soy sauce mixed with worchershire sauce, mix with a little water, then when i lay them on the tray I hit em with a pepper mill while they are wet so the fresh ground pepper sticks to it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I personally have used kikomans teryaki and I love hickory smoke also. Just about anything will make a good marinade. I do let mine marinade a min, of 6 hrs, but usually no more than 12. It really does come down to how you would like it. Experiment and sooner or later you'll find your own lil recipe and of course it will be better than everybody else's according to yourself. Have fun and for gods sake lets be careful out there moooooooo!! Yeah, I've watched barnyard more than once lol

·
dirty vegan hippie
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Gambler, I still haven't seen that movie. Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll try 6 hours for this first batch. (The part that I'm marinating and not just salting, anyway.)

Malaz: I read that it was good to use flank steak, but I picked up a cheaper cut. Some sort of small roast. I got it because it was lean, since I also read that fatty jerky goes bad faster. (The fat can go rancid.)
Maybe you weren't asking me, but that's what I know. XD;

·
Registered
523 Posts
Lean meat trimed of all fat that you can trim off, because it is Greasy and will go rancid.
Flanks are good, Eye of round, a round roast that is lean and trimmed of excess fat.
I like making Deer jerky, because it's already lean meat.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i have some beef maranade for soaking roast beef in and it has salt and beef flavoring with a few spices maybe something like that would work its a powder you mix with water for soaking maybe just use the powder on it and try it that way,it will probably take some expermenting with flavors to get one you like.

·
dirty vegan hippie
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, the first batch is done! Hmm, I think I had the temp a little too high. This oven seems to be off. (I just moved) they got a little toasty faster than I expected, but they turned out pretty good! Thanks for the advice on marinades, guys. I think I prefer just salt and garlic powder, but I'll experiment more, too.

·
Living To Ride
2,030 Posts
All you NEED for jerky is brine aka salt water after that is spices for flavor s start with brine and add whatever you like on your beef. I like a brine with soy sauce bourbon, garlic powder, onion powder, wrights smoke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts