Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Layman
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many people carry a j frame as their primary EDC firearm.

are you concerned about capacity?
do you plan on reloading if need be and if so how?

I'm considering a small revolver and after holding the K6s and a 638 side by side, the Smith seems like it would be much more comfortable to carry.

Now I am leaning toward a 442 or 642 pro so I could use moon clips if need be.
and because I don't want the internal lock.

·
Registered
34,658 Posts
I carry one sometimes as a second or third firearm.

I carry a speed strip and at minimum am also carrying a G27 loaded with 10 rounds and a pair of (15 round) G22 mags.

Capacity is one reason I would not carry just it.

YEs, it'll do fine with average, but half are above average.

You won't carry moon clips.

·
Start up the rotors
7,655 Posts
Honestly it's my most carried gun.
I carry the 438/638 a lot. A speed strip with 6 extra and I'm good.
Second choice is the trusty G19, though I also carry a P32 sometimes. Esp in scrubs.

I like the snubbies. I'm pretty proficient with one, they're light, reliable, and 38spl+P is no slouch. I guess I don't feel under-gunned.

Reactions: w3kmp and Eddie_T

·
reluctant sinner
17,473 Posts
I like my S&W model 60 for CC. Coming up on 40 years. Only 5 rounds never bothered me as I don't intend to take on zombie hordes with it.

I have a speed loader and it works ok - lots faster than loose rounds in your pocket. If I carry any extra ammo its an MTM 18 round ammo wallet.

If I plan to do some shooting then I much prefer my model 53 Jet or the 29's. Sometimes a 1911 or 2.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,970 Posts
I have a 642. Over the decades, Ive carried them, and a few other J frames a good bit, but havent carried one in a number of years now.

I kept the 642 to shoot in practice and stay on top of it, and I usually shoot it a couple of times a month. Its also one of my least favorite guns to shoot. A box of 50 at an outing, is about all I can stand anymore.

If you havent yet shot one, Id highly suggest you try and do so before you buy. These are not "beginners" guns, and require a bit more work to get good with them and maintain that.

Unless of course, your plan is to just grab them by the shirt and jam the gun into their belly and pull the trigger. It will do fine for that. Beyond that, they tend to require a bit more from you than most of the other snubbies.

They shoot very well once you get them down, but getting, and staying there can get old fast and be brutal.

I personally would never carry one as a primary unless it was my only choice. These days, it would be a third line gun for me.

You have 5 rounds in the gun. Do you think you might ever need a reload?

Moon clips are great. Fastest revolver reloads going. They also tend to be more fragile than other things too, and require more attention. You just have to figure out how youre going to carry them, and do so in a manner that they arent prone to damage. Bend a clip, just a little bit, and they wont work.

I use Safariland speedloaders with most of my revolvers, and they work well with the J frames too. They are pretty robust, take a lot of abuse, and dont normally let the rounds go, unless you want them to.

Ive had a number of steel framed J frames in the past as well. They arent as hard on you as the Airweights, but they arent really all that pleasant to shoot with what youre likely to carry in them, especially the 357's.

If you can, Id try to find the guns youre interested in and shoot them before you buy. Ive taken a few people shooting with one, who were dead sure that was what they wanted, right up until they shot it.

·
Psalm 37:28
1,130 Posts
I carry a 642 more often than my compact auto these days. I had a minor CC injury due to inadequate belt support and pants too tight while carrying IWB. Messed me up for a month. The 642 is much friendlier to carry, though not so much to shoot. AK103K spoke well to that reality. I also carry a speed strip.

I'm easing back into IWB carry with different pants and better belt.

Better the J-frame you have in your pocket than the auto in the safe.

·
Layman
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can, Id try to find the guns youre interested in and shoot them before you buy. Ive taken a few people shooting with one, who were dead sure that was what they wanted, right up until they shot it.
Thats pretty much what I did. I went out and shot a 642. the recoil was manageable and it was a lot more accurate than I thought it was going to be.

If I did decide to carry moon clips I was thinking about storing them in a prescription pill bottle if they will fit. Maybe Just a though...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a 642 that I've carried since about 2010 until a year or so ago. I switched over to a G43 just because it's easier to keep clean. My 642 has been rebuilt and ceracoated a couple times now. The aluminum frame lost all it's clear coat early on and the frame started to corroded. I would keep the gun wiped down. Dust and sweat made it's way into the lock works and seized up the trigger and cylinder. While I'll still carry my 642 on occasion, I found the small Glock just as easy to carry and a lot more easy to maintain. -K

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Thats pretty much what I did. I went out and shot a 642. the recoil was manageable and it was a lot more accurate than I thought it was going to be.

If I did decide to carry moon clips I was thinking about storing them in a prescription pill bottle if they will fit. Maybe Just a though...
It would have to be a really fat pill bottle.... And then, what's the point?

By the time you got the childproof cap on the bottle open, while still holding your empty revolver, got the moon clip out and then reloaded, the first responding police cars should be there....;)

Try and get some professional instruction. A lot of things will make more sense to you then.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,970 Posts
I have a 642 that I've carried since about 2010 until a year or so ago. I switched over to a G43 just because it's easier to keep clean. My 642 has been rebuilt and ceracoated a couple times now. The aluminum frame lost all it's clear coat early on and the frame started to corroded. I would keep the gun wiped down. Dust and sweat made it's way into the lock works and seized up the trigger and cylinder. While I'll still carry my 642 on occasion, I found the small Glock just as easy to carry and a lot more easy to maintain. -K
The clear coat on the Smiths is notorious for not holding up and coming off. And its not just the 642's, all of them seem to do it. The 442 finish isnt all that durable either, and they tend to look a lot worse when it comes off. My buddy carried one for a long time and his looked like it was drug behind a truck through a gravel lot. The aluminum showing through the black finish is a lot more noticeable. You would think S&W would have got that all figured out by now.

It would have to be a really fat pill bottle.... And then, what's the point?

By the time you got the childproof cap on the bottle open, while still holding your empty revolver, got the moon clip out and then reloaded, the first responding police cars should be there....;)

Try and get some professional instruction. A lot of things will make more sense to you then.

I agree.

Heres a few ideas that would be beter suited than the pill bottles, and would at least give you a chance at a fairly quick reload.

I like the type that split the belt the best with the speedloaders, Im assuming those for the moon clips work the same way.

Reactions: Eddie_T

·
Layman
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

well I don't know about that. I'm sure with a little bit of practice I can shoot just as good if not better than Jerry Miculek. :thumb:

seems like there are other that do the pill bottle method.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,970 Posts
Seems like planning to fail to me.

Would probably be OK for storage of rounds in a bag to resupply your carriers, but I cant see that working for any kind of serious reload.

Youre already handicapped in needing to have to reload so quick anyway, so why make it worse?

I think if you watch Jerry too, there isnt a pill bottle to be seen. Unless he has some crank out of sight in his pocket. :D:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I prefer revolvers and like the looks of the 442. I am leaning toward a DA .380 auto loader only because they're cheaper and easier to conceal. However I may slip a 442 into my pocket just to see how it prints.

The number of rounds is the least of my worries. I don't personally know anyone who has been in a gunfight or for that matter ever had to use their CC.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,970 Posts
The number of rounds is the least of my worries. I don't personally know anyone who has been in a gunfight or for that matter ever had to use their CC.
So, thats the basis for your planning and strategy?

If so, why bother carrying a gun at all?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
So, thats the basis for your planning and strategy?

If so, why bother carrying a gun at all?
Just in case it's needed though statistics say otherwise. Burglary is more common so I keep guns handy in the house and like to carry when entering the house just in case that I surprise a burglar. I have had a house burglarized but not where I live now.

I don't practice due to inconvenience and expense and point and shoot is not a problem at close range.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My most carried pistol is my S&W 638. I've never felt under gunned. Shoot five and run like hell is my master plan.

As for the safety lock, I just opened the gun up and removed the parts. Someday I'll plug the hole. Maybe a home made brass rivet....

I love how I can slip it into a coat pocket and if I feel like things are odd, I can grip it without anyone knowing. I've done it a few times on the seedier side of town.

Or you can just stay away from the seedier side of town....Your call.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Greetings, I’m Jframe.
Yea, you get it.
I have both the 442 and the 642 Pro. So if your pants and belt can handle an all steel frame 642 pro you will have a much better gun. Night sights are a life saving upgrade worth the money. Also the 642 takes 357s.
Practice with 38s and carry 38+P or 357s.
Unless the zombies are on the streets, 5 is fine.
Cary a speed loader or speed strip, or two, but do speed reloading drills. Lots of them, and in the dark.
Don’t let the 17 round magazine fear mongers scare you into thinking revolvers will get you killed.
So ask more question.
Take lessons from a knowledgeable revolver trainer.
Keep all guns away from kids so lock em up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts