Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My hens started laying about a week ago too. Was just a single egg a day, then 2. Today went out and there were 3 and they're starting to get larger. :)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Congratulations on the fresh chicken fruit. It will get bigger as they lay & soon you will have more than you can eat. You can sell the extra or give it to friends & neighbors just to establish good will. :thumb:

I just wash mine in the sink, scrub gently with a scotch brite (no soap) & toss em in the frige.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We were lucky, received 8 layers to start with. Now we have 1 with babies and another one that is brooch. The eggs are great and they are so much fun to watch

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congrats on the eggs! By the way, I've always heard not to wash/scrub eggs because it removes the bloom (protective coating) that keeps bacteria from getting inside. They should be good in the fridge for at least 45 days. Store them little end down too. Just my 2 cents...

·
Banned
301 Posts
You should wash eggs with a mild detergent and with water that is warmer than the ambient temperature of the eggs.

The eggs will get larger over time.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I don't wash my eggs, either. They are indeed covered by 'bloom' , a natural protective agent. Most of my eggs just need to be brushed off a bit (the nest has wood shavings in it). If they have some 'dirt' on them, I just wipe that area with a damp cloth. NEVER soak them; egg shells are porous and absorb air and moisture. And yes, store them big side up.

Btw, when we lived in England we noticed eggs were not refrigerated, either in the store or at home. Most store-bought eggs in North America can be weeks or months old before we buy them, which is why we refrigerate.

Congrats on your first egg; we got our first Christmas morning...what a nice gift from our girls! We have 3 hens and get 2-3 eggs most days. I just added up how many we got in July, and the grand total was 63, more than DH and I eat. We give a dozen or so to my mother from time to time, and still have a couple of dozen most times.

How egg-citing!! :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
ive erad a million ways to wash eggs. Finally settled on cold water from th esink and a fingernail brush from the dollar store or a rag.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I wash my eggs because some of them have chicken poop on them. I leave mine on the counter until I get a dozen and then they go in the fridge.

Just the other day we got an egg that was the size of a dime, now that is small.

Suzanne

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are a lot of chicken people here! Isn't it great to walk outside and get food? We have got 3 so far all from the white bantum "kurt russell." Please keep sharing your egg experiences, I am learning so much!

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
If your nest is reasonably clean you do not get poop on eggs. whether you get them pooped on or not DO NOT EVER wash them until such time as you are ready to use them. (Ie the day you use them, not the exact minute :D:)

they will last six months in the back of your refrigerator if you do not wash them. They will last maybe six weeks if you do. this might not mean much when you don't have many eggs but you can save many, many eggs and have free eggs all year if you play your cards right.

Don't wash them until you use them unless you're going to use them in the next few days or so, or if you must wash them, use them sooner. If they're getting covered in poop just keep the nest cleaner.

:)

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I try to keep my nests clean but it seems like they all want to come and lay in the same nest at the same time and it is almost a given that 1 egg will have a smidge of poop.

This is my first year with chickens. My MIL passed away and left her farm to us, so what do I know ;)

Suzanne

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good job. I wish we still got exited by eggs LOL we pull 200 a day from our coops but they generally go into the incubator. ( a note NEVER wash eggs bound for the incubator not even with water) The small ( dime sized) egg is called a pullet egg. they have no yolk and are great for makeing angel food cakes if you have a bunch of them. You can generally avioid the dirty eggs by filling the boxes with a good grass hay and cangeing it weekly. do not use straw as the hollow stems will house and hide feather mites. enjoy the birds

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I put shavings in my nest; I've not had any poo (yet). Sometimes if I take an egg out of the nest immediately after it has been layed it has a bit of wood shavings stuck to it, but if I leave it until the bloom has dried, I can just brush the shavings off.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe instead of several nest boxes, you need one long nest tray that several hens can use at the same time.

I always had trouble with dirty eggs because there a few favorite places to lay--the crazy hens would ignore the empty nests and crowd into the favorite nests.

I used wood shavings and went through tons of them during the winter.

You'll want to wash the eggs in water that's warmer than the egg. There's bound to be some germs and you don't want to force the germs into the egg.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts