Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 650 bucks to spend on 'something' gun related, and I'm having a hard time picking. I was hoping you guys would have some input. Here are some details.

What I have
Handguns:
S&W 642 (.38 Snub)
XD9 in 9mm Subcompact
Walther P22

Long guns:
Mossberg 500
10/22
SKS
Savage 30-06

AMMO:
700 9x19
500 .38
8000 .22
1000 7.62x39
300 30-06
200 12 gauge 00 buck
100 12 gauge slugs
300 12 gauge #4 & #6

Here are my thoughts, I have not been about to shoot as much because of the price of ammo. I was kind of thinking I want either a .22 revolver, or a .22 lever action, or maybe trade the sub-compact xd for a 5" version and also a .22

I bought the xd to carry, and ended up using the .38 instead. Don't really need the subcompact anymore.

Maybe I should just beef up on Ammo. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Sell the XD: (Say you Net $400)

Now you have $1,050

Buy a used $400 Glock (Compact, or prehaps Subcompact)

and a Advantage arms .22 conversion for $250.

Now you have another 9mm AND a .22.

And you have $400 left.

That'll buy you a .22 rifle AND some ammo.

ETA: Although I'd advise you to buy some high caps and a EBR... for investment/resale after the ellections if nothing else.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I think you are in good shape with a solid variety of firearms and plenty of ammo. I say hold on to your cash ,I think you may need it in the near future. Not the answer you may have been looking for ,I know. But if you just have to buy something , maybe get a glock 23 .40 cal and a couple boxes of ammo for it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
One of my next purchases is going to be a standard Ruger Single Six. You get .22lr and .22 magnum cylinders, built like a TANK, will last for generations, accurate, and uses are endless. Great camping/hiking revolver. With $650 you could get one, with some ammo. I'd get one with adjustable sights.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Sell the XD: (Say you Net $400)

Now you have $1,050

Buy a used $400 Glock (Compact, or prehaps Subcompact)

and a Advantage arms .22 conversion for $250.

Now you have another 9mm AND a .22.

And you have $400 left.

That'll buy you a .22 rifle AND some ammo.

ETA: Although I'd advise you to buy some high caps and a EBR... for investment/resale after the ellections if nothing else.
Check out the Bersa .22 autos. i'm thinking of getting one. there about 200 used, adn you dont have to worry about losing parts adn swaping them out.

S&W makes some nice 8 shot revolvers for around 350-400. but, personaly i'm going with the bersa, glock 17, and s&W M&P .40.

I sold my XD45 awhild back for 400 or 450 i think...?

i talked to the guy with the bersa, he said he shoots it at about 25 and 50 yrds and had great results. its small light and reliable. Cheep to boot!

I've never under stood the whole converson thing in a BO or survival situation because often you dont have time to stop and put stuff togather.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Go Centerfire or GO Home!!!!!

I'd buy more ammo if I were you....Specifically 7.62x39, 9mm and 12ga buck.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
DOn't get rid of your 9x19. You have 700 rounds get that up to 1000. I am not a big XD fan so take this for what it is worth, Go with the Glock. ( I SHoot Sigs but Doc is right. You can get deal on Glock and size is big thing. Small ones take big mags. Keep your SKS and buy an AK and mags. SKS will make a great back up gun.

Look for guns at Pawn shops right now. Lots of people are out of work right now and you can get some bargains. Sounds awfully cold but someone is going to get them and it might as well be you. Watch the pawn guys. Don't pay new or above new price for gun. Also watch the gun shows for guys trying to unload their weapons to put food on the table.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I had $650 to spend at the moment I would stock up on powder (8lb cans), primers, brass and bullets! You seem to have a decent supply of ammo but in the near future it may become almost impossible to get. If you stock up on powder, brass and primers you can always replenish what you use.

Even if you have no reloading equipment at the moment you could possibly ask a friend or shooting buddy if they can show you the ropes and possibly let you load some of your own stuff.

Another advantage to handloading is that you can tune your loads to what your firearm likes. For example if your rifle shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo, you can play with different loads until you find exactly what your rifle likes. I have yet to see any factory rifle that I couldn't get to shoot under an inch at 100 yards very easily.

That's what I would do anyway! A new gun is always desirable but I want to make sure I can feed what I have for a very long time!

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Get an Ak...check pawn shops like grinnan barrett said...hard times make for bargains. then get 10 mags and 2k more 7.62...get extra mag or two for 10/22 and them more 9mm if budget permits. Keep in mind the pistol is used to fight your way to your rifle or as a last ditch effort or close quarters.

just my $.01 (was $.02 but the economy ate the rest :) )

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
sks, ak, glock 17, 10/22, 870 12g, adn atleast 1000 rnds for each. then get into reloading and stock up on powder. .22lr is still fairly cheep, I buy a box every time i go out. I have about 10,000 rounds now...lol, no joke.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I've never under stood the whole converson thing in a BO or survival situation because often you dont have time to stop and put stuff togather.

What I got it for was cheap training.

I (I don't want to say 'mastered' cause you never master anything) Trigger reset.

With one of my Glock 19's, my AA .22 conversion, 500 rounds of .22, 100 rounds of 9mm to get used to the recouil again.

And an afternoon.

(Know how much that woulda cost me in 9mm?

Side bennies are plinking, or whatever else you want a 22 pistol for.

Worst comes to worst...

I carry my 19 and 26 on me at all times.

If I'm bugging out I will be carring my 'Car gun' Ak.

So I'd feel OK converting my 19 to a .22 if I really felt the need.
(But at the same time I don't haveto carry aNOTHER gun...)

(My 26 fits int he same holster so that's avalable if the AK doesn't fit the bill.)

It works, it's light, and it lets me keep a '22' where you might not want to leave a gun (Not an issue for me, I have a handgun safe in the car... but it's an issue to some.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have a buddy that is heavy into reloading, I guess I could purchase primers/power and lead and then reload all of that brass I've been picking up over the years. Maybe spend 350 on that (be about 3500 9mm as he said 10c a round) and then 400 on another gun (with the money from the sale of xD)

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I'd sell the XD and the 9 mm ammo, take the money and get a decent AK-47 type rifle and at least 7 magazines and some more 7.62 X 39 ammo for the AK and the SKS. If things get really bad in your area, loaded rifle magazines give you the quick reloading edge and the 7.62 X 39 ammo has pretty decent punch. I would definitely go AK right now because the Walther P-22 and the .38 snub nose revolver gives you two pistols to use for concealed carry and close range work. I would, however, also think about getting a couple of more magazines for the Walther and some speedloaders for revolver.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya, I've got several speed loaders for the .38, only have two for the walther.

Right now I have 600 rounds on stripper clips. Stripper clips are just fine for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts