Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found some itty bitty 4 oz Ball canning jars. They look like exactly the right size for single servings of vegetable dip, etc.

Soooo....

are there any racks specifically made for them?

if not, is there some reliable way to keep them in the rack and not all over the canner?

any tricks/tips to using them?

Thank you.

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Found some itty bitty 4 oz Ball canning jars. They look like exactly the right size for single servings of vegetable dip, etc.

Soooo....

are there any racks specifically made for them?

if not, is there some reliable way to keep them in the rack and not all over the canner?

any tricks/tips to using them?

Thank you.
I didn't know that 4 oz. canning jars even existed and now I WANT SOME!

Didn't see any on Craigslist; could I ask where you found those little cuties?

Thanks!

·
Dont Touch It!!!!!!
560 Posts
I didn't know that 4 oz. canning jars even existed and now I WANT SOME!

Didn't see any on Craigslist; could I ask where you found those little cuties?

Thanks!
Yeah Wal-Mart has them. I've seen them called Jelly jars which is what I typically use them for. I put all my pepper Jelly in them last year

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
We put a majority of our jelly and jams into 4 oz jars with Tattler lids. Our thinking (with just 2 in the house), we'd rather have open several small jars of different spreads than have fewer big jars and be stuck with the same spread for a long time.

In the water bath caner, I have stacked them 2 deep. A basket full of a dozen different flavors (which are often not available at Walmart) make fantastic gifts.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I love them. They are the perfect size for different spices and salts. I also use them for homemade skin/facial stuff. Once you start using them, they are kind of addictive.:eek:

Perfect for jelly, as we don't use it up quickly.

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, all...

Do I need to adjust the processing time? Or pressure in a pressure canner?

Thanks, again

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use the 4 oz jars for "left overs" when making jellies and jams and just process them the same and along with my pints and half pints for same amount of time etc.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
My wife went and bought about four dozen of them with the flip-up lids and stores spices in them that she buys in bulk at the local organic food store. I told her she should grow an herb garden, dry the herbs, pack them in the little jars and sell them for $5 each as organic, home grown herbs.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
Not just for canning. I pack extra O2 absorbers in them. (I'd also say that I use a food savor vacuum to minimize the O2 in the jar but some girly man would show up and slap my wrists).

They are a good size for a single serving. Left-overs now ready made for Lunches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts